Mental Support Community

CBT for C-PTSD

Guest ASchwartz

Hi,

It gets to be a little like alphabet soup, does it not? :o

Anyway, to answer your question, CBT does not work like traditional therapy and therefore, one does not necessarily have to enumerate "all of the traumas" that one experienced. Mostly, CBT will lower the level of anxiety and the level of unrealistic anxiety producing thoughts. Also, there are other methods used in conjunction with CBT such as Meditation, Yoga and other stress busting techniques.

Allan

Edited by Natalie

Guest ASchwartz

Yes, it should all come together at some stage but I am not sure that you are in CBT psychotherapy? CBT should be helping to reduce your anxieties rather than increasing them.

Allan:(

You're welcome confused and I am glad you asked your therapist what they are using on you. TEA stands for Thought-Error-Analysis and is all about learning to counter your cognitive distortions to transform them into more accurate and realistic ways of thinking which in turn causes less anxiety. I learned how to use them in the cbt book we used in my group by Sam Obitz which is a good introduction to cbt and what it entails. It's a fairly basic exercise but works really well with repetition. Take care:)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ASchwartz

Hi Confused,

Why is your therapist leaving so soon?

It's somewhat suprising to me and a little confusing that you started with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and are now in Psychoanalytic Therapy and your therapist is leaving?

Allan{confused:) }

Hi Confused,

Why is your therapist leaving so soon?

It's somewhat suprising to me and a little confusing that you started with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and are now in Psychoanalytic Therapy and your therapist is leaving?

Allan{confused:) }

Good morning, Dr. Schwartz.

I do no think his therapist is leaving per se. It sounds to me like he is saying if his therapist were permanent for 24/7 that ... well this is what he said:

I think I need a permanent Therapist with me 24/7 just to ask if that was a 'normal' response to have.

Hi Confused! Thanks for the clarification. I'd change my username to confused myself, too, but I think there would be too many of us! :)

I don't know if my therapist is changing jobs, or just been warn down by the travel he has to do to get here or if the termination is about me. I think I need to ask why? Is it rude to ask why? I think I am actually at the point where I don't really care now, it's happening and I just have to deal with it. I am hurt about it though and I definately don't understand what is going on in my head.

I think you do care. :) You and your therapist have a relationship and are both humans. There are different ways to check in with him without overstepping any boundaries. If it were me, I would tell him how I feel, just like how you just told us here. Let him tell you what he is willing to share.

How would you handle it yourself?

I don't think it is rude to ask at all, but it may be awkward :)

If you need to know even if the truth may be upsetting, then it's a good thing to ask. If you think you'd be better off just letting things slide and not trying to confront it, then that is okay too. Denial (not looking at things) is not always a bad thing. Sometimes it is a good way to preserve your mood.

the above sounds like I'm anticipating that the therapist will have something negative to say to you (as I read it) and i don't know that is the case at all. I'm just thinking that some people need to know details and others are okay without them, and that the decision is perhaps best made based on that personal preference.

Well it is nice to report the session turned out extremely positive. I didn't have to ask details but after a long discussion I now know that it not about me. I didn't think it was appropriate I ask any other questions beyond what he was willing to share openly. I do know that I see him until Christmas. I am happy I have been given such advanced warning and he felt that it was important he tell me last session due to me bringing up my issues I had raised. So much happened before, during and after the session. So I am still trying to process stuff.

Thank you Mark and WinterSky

WinterSky I did tell him how I was feeling and thinking. It was so helpful and it actually felt real. He also appreciated my openness I actually think he was suprised to hear me talking so much, I even suprised myself.

I now have even more questions about myself and my action/reaction.

1Confused12

Confused, I am glad to hear your session with your therapist went so well! Ya did good... :)

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Confused and all,

Thanks for all the clarifications the result of which is that I am "no longer confused.":D

It is never inappropriate for the patient to ask questions. If the therapist feels unable or unwilling to answer they can say so. If anything, it is sometimes valuable to explore the meaning of the question. However, as I always pointed out to my patients when they said they felt asking was inappropriate, "ask, it's ok."

Glad things worked out well for you.

Allan:)

Confused,

I stayed with a therapist for 18 months. She used exclusively CBT techniques, and it did not help me at all with the problems that brought me there. I have a lot of "baggage" from the past.

Now I am planning to see another therapist that practices psychodynamics or psychoanalysis and will deal more directly with past issues. However, I`m sure this is a very individual thing. In addition, I have only had one major trauma per se, but also a long history of weirdness with a lot of people in my life, esp. growing up.

So, if you do not think it is working or don`t feel good about the therapist (even the first session), you might look further. Personally, I am convinced that my past issues need to be dealt with more deeply than having me write them down and talk about the laundry list in one session.

Hope this helps, Alan (a different one)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank jaathom,

After today's experience I understand you well. I worked on some cbt stuff but I just can't get my thinking around anything other than the positive thoughts being anymore than an excuse or a copout. It's like I can come up with all the ways to change the negative thoughts into positives thoughts but I do not believe them one bit.

If it is deep seeded conditioning (way of thinking) from my childhood I am unsure if cbt can provide the relief I require at present. Just evening trying to allow the nice constructive positive though increases anxiety.

So after leaving therapy slightly relieved last session, this session has me feeling rather helpless. I am back to my confused state again and dislike it no end.

• 2 months later...

Hi confused,

You have to believe your counter thoughts for CBT to work it's magic. Maybe if you focus on realistic or objective thoughts rather than positive ones it will work better for you. That was a clarification I dearly needed before I attained the success I had and still have with my TEA forms. Take care and good luck:)

Guest ASchwartz

Cynthia, yes, you nailed it, right on target.;) Confused12, it is not a matter of finding positive thoughts but, instead, Realistic thoughts. That is what CBT is all about.

Allan

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Confused12,

I am not sure of why you are having trouble with CBT. Perhaps your therapist is not so good at it. That happens.

Actually, realistic thoughts are realistic for everyone. If the sun is shining then the sun is shining. If its raining then it is raining. The unrealistic thoughts begin when I start to tell myself that "It is raining only on me and no one else and, therefore, look how awful my life is." If its a cloudy day then its cloudy for everyone and not just for me.

Can you give us a sample of some of your unrealistic thoughts that are giving you problems?

Allan:)