Mental Support Community

Music therapy!

Gayle

Math geek?? :( How's your statistics? :D I'm afraid this is what will be my undoing in trying to get my psychology degree. My head just doesn't wrap around this kind of stuff.

I enjoyed your song link. Made me want to run around the block. Very invigorating.

Although they certainly aren't one of my favorite bands, I've recently started listening to Sugar Ray. They were pretty big in the 90's with their songs Fly, Every Morning, and Someday.

Anyway, I've been listening to their song Into Yesterday for the last while every time I feel depressed (quite often.) It's an incredibly uplifting song, and the chorus really speaks to me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest ASchwartz

I want to suggest a song that I find very meaningful. It was written and performed by Garth Brooks and the title is The River:

"I Will Never Reach My Destination If I Do Not Try"

Garth Brooks.

Listen to the recording (you will have to find it yourself. If you have Itunes, it is only 99 cents)

It's very meaningful and all of us should takes it's message very seriously. It's also beautiful and a real pleasure to listen to.

Allan:)

Guest ASchwartz

I'm not a fan of country western either. I came upon the lyrics quite accidently, listened to the song but was most attracted to the message.

Here is where I found the lyrics and here are the lyrics:

The Relationship Between Depression and Anxiety - HealthyPlace by HealthyPlace.com Staff Writer1 person liked this - you

First of all, I'd like to thank Garth Brooks for writing this song, and I hope he doesn't mind if I use it here.

Relationship between dreams and

This song means more to me than I can say. It stood for - and stands for - so much. It became like an anthem to me during the time that I was seriously considering divorce, and then became a symbol of strength once I had taken that final step. It still makes me cry sometimes, even now, in the happy days of my life.

Listen to the music, and read the words. I hope they give you the same inspiration and hope that they give me.

NOTE: I underlined some lines that are especially meaningful to me.

You know a dream is like a river

Ever changin' as it flows

And a dreamer's just a vessel

That must follow where it goes

Trying to learn from what's behind you

And never knowing what's in store

Makes each day a constant battle

Just to stay between the shores.

(chorus)

And I will sail my vessel

'Til the river runs dry

Like a bird upon the wind

These waters are my sky

I'll never reach my destination

If I never try

So I will sail my vessel

'Til the river runs dry.

Too many times we stand aside

And let the waters slip away

'Til what we put off 'til tomorrow

Has now become today

So don't you sit upon the shoreline

And say you're satisfied

Choose to chance the rapids

And dare to dance the tide.

(chorus)

'Til the river runs dry

These waters are my sky

If I never try

So I will sail my vessel

'Til the river runs dry.

And there's bound to be rough waters

And I know I'll take some falls

But with the good Lord as my captain

I can make it through them all.

(chorus)

'Til the river runs dry

These waters are my sky

If I never try

So I will sail my vessel

'Til the river runs dry.

Yes, I will sail my vessel

'Til the river runs dry

'Til the river runs dry

Allan

Edited by ASchwartz

Yes, those lyrics are very powerful. I got chills just reading them. There's something about witnessing another empower themselves to get the most out of life...the positive message in that...is rousing and emotionally stirring...if that makes any sense. It's inspirational. I enjoy inspirational, emotional music. Thank you, Allan, so much for sharing that. :D

I admit, though music REALLY speaks to me, usually, I don't pay any attention to lyrics. Rather, I just listen to the overall sound and feel of the song. I could listen to and even sing a song for years without even thinking about what the lyrics are actually saying :D. If it has meaningful lyrics, even better.

Anyway, here's an unknown song called Pura Vida by a little known artist called Braddigan. It's just so upbeat, and in this case, the lyrics in the chorus actually DO speak to me. I actually performed this song at my school's talent show this last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIZ9epgwcy0

Yeah, it's mostly the sound for me too, MM. I'm actually very interested in understanding the "whys" of this from a psychological perspective. I have thought that perhaps our response to sound has something to do with connecting to the sounds of our mothers' voice when we were infants. The music I enjoy actually makes me feel euphoric. It has a way of meeting my needs for comfort and such. Very good feelings. I've also wondered if individual temperament plays a part in what kind of music we enjoy or whether that is simply preference. Very interesting!

Do you sing, MM? I'm sorry if I have missed this about you or have forgotten.

Yeah, it's mostly the sound for me too, MM. I'm actually very interested in understanding the "whys" of this from a psychological perspective. I have thought that perhaps our response to sound has something to do with connecting to the sounds of our mothers' voice when we were infants. The music I enjoy actually makes me feel euphoric. It has a way of meeting my needs for comfort and such. Very good feelings. I've also wondered if individual temperament plays a part in what kind of music we enjoy or whether that is simply preference. Very interesting!

Do you sing, MM? I'm sorry if I have missed this about you or have forgotten.

The way you described it as "euphoric" is EXACTLY SPOT ON as to the way that I feel. I've said once or twice before that I'm a Beatles nut. Their music is my single greatest joy :D. I didn't choose the name Musicman for nothing :).

I only ever once mentioned in passing a long while back, but yes, I sing, play piano, and guitar. I'm not very good at piano, and I'm even worse at guitar. For the amount of years I've been playing each, I should be really good, but I guess I'm just going to keep practicing until I get better. As far as my singing goes, I think I'm decent. I think I have an above average range, and I think that with some formal lessons, I may actually be capable of becoming quite good.

Edited by Musicman