Mental Support Community

Music therapy!

Gayle

Guest ASchwartz

MM,

I have the same experience with you about music. Lyrics or not, the experience of listening and hearing I find to be extremely evocative of powerful emotions. In fact, I believe its the non verbal aspect of music that's the best.

Allan

MM,

I have the same experience with you about music. Lyrics or not, the experience of listening and hearing I find to be extremely evocative of powerful emotions. In fact, I believe its the non verbal aspect of music that's the best.

Allan

And that's where we differ :). I find vocals key to music. I just don't really care what they're saying as long as the lyrics are not incredibly stupid :). I think one of the most important ingredients to good music is good vocal harmony. Really, I can't stand classical, or even instrumental. My father's really into the famous composers, and lately, opera, which has been driving me MAD. He's never cared for anything else. I'm happy I went in my mother's direction when I was just a toddler. She turned me onto The Beatles. Through that came Paul McCartney, my all time idol :). Then, I started to follow my brother's taste (which was mine plus so much more,) and that really opened up a world of music for me. Finally, around eighth or ninth grade, my tastes really started to expand. Anyway, I'm just rambling, aren't I?

Actually, though this last year has been incredibly painful and by far the hardest I've ever endured, my appreciation for music has grown much stronger, and I've discovered many songs and musicians who I'd never heard of. If not for music, I just wouldn't see much beauty in the world...

You don't like classical? :eek: :) I enjoy it, but then that goes along with my very emotional personality, I suppose. I feel self-connected when I'm listening. I'm completely aware of all of my senses. It's very pleasurable and likely releases some endorphins as well. I like Paul McCartney too. I enjoy a lot of different kind of music. It's good for the soul. :)

Though I primarily listen to classic rock, I'm also big into some 90's music. Today, I'm feeling pretty depressed, so I figured I'd listen to some 90's. I've come to really like these songs because they're so upbeat and carefree. The 90's were a time in my life when everything was carefree. I was just too young to have any problems. I wish like hell that I could just go back then and live there forever :).

Del Amitri - Roll to Me

Sugar Ray - Fly

Sublime - What I Got

Okay, I admit it. I went through a "Queen" phase in eighth grade. Anyway, I really haven't listened to them in a long time, but I just kind of got in the mood. I just love how powerful they were. Freddie Mercury has to be my second favorite singer right behind Paul McCartney. Freddie had a better range, but Paul's voice just had a better quality.

Queen - Sail Away Sweet Sister

Well, most people know I'm a Beatles nut. I guess it's time I posted a Beatles song (I don't recall having done that before.) So here is the entire Abbey Road medley with one short song thrown in at the end. This medley, in my opinion, is the greatest piece of music written. Notice how each song transitions into the next so that it's all very fluid. That's just one of the several trademarks of Abbey Road. It's all great, but my favorite part would have to be The End, which starts at 13:53.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pM3PVzDUCY

Good song IJ :)

Ok, I hadnt heard this one in years, till tonight :( this is Bobby Mcferrin, Dont Worry Be Happy....

I was 14 when this was being played on Top Of The Pops, way back in 88.... Im getting OLD :eek:

Sue, we are not getting old! I refuse to believe it! So what if I have a son that isn't ready to talk to me (18) and a daughter going into high school

(15and1/2) another daughter going into junior high (12) and my youngest baby is 10. I am not old, neither are you!! Even now, if you take my youngest daughter's age 10 and add the two digits of my age together, I am only 9, that would make you only 10, same age as my daughter!

Oh, I actually had her believing this till daycare lady got upset with me!!!

Sorry I didn't have any music of my own to post. Anyone dealing with getting old, just do what I do! For example, you could be 45 well 4+5=9!! You see, I am 9 now in 2015 I will be 4! How awesome is my aging system!!!!!!!!!!

Well I just got back from my first session with my new therapist, and I don't think things could have turned out any better. So, I guess I'll post two more Beatles songs here that I think are just befitting for my current situation. The first is the infamous "Here Comes the Sun," which everyone should know (OR ELSE!) and the second is the less known "Good Day Sunshine."

Here Comes the Sun

Ok, Im in a weird mood and listening to really old music today !!!

Thought I'd share ;)

Be warned its ELO :P

Damn Sue, you beat me to it. I was thinking of posting this a few weeks ago, but decided against it for some odd reason. I don't care so much for ELO, but they have a few songs (such as this one) that I really like, and I know that Jeff Lynn was practically best friends with George Harrison, contributed heavily to the songs "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love" (The only two Beatles songs ever recorded post breakup and after Lennon died,) and finished George Harrison's post-humus album "Brainwashed."

Free as a Bird

Real Love

Both "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love" were recorded around 1995, about 25 years after The Beatles broke up, and about 15 years after John Lennon was shot dead. The three remaining Beatles asked Yoko Ono to give them some of Lennon's unfinished demos, and from there, they recorded these two songs to be included in The Beatles Anthology.

Yes, I know, I'm a Beatles nut.

Edited by Musicman