what is it now?

Guest SomethingOrOther

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest ASchwartz

Hi Somethingorother.

I am sorry you are feeling so terrible. But, not getting the job while running out of money put a harsh reality to your stress. I don't know what to say except that I'm with you: Why does that sound lame to me?

Allan

• 2 weeks later...
got one postdoc offered straight away. The one that is very similar to my previous work. There's some reasons I don't think it's ideal, but I don't have a better alternative.

So it means you'll take it and they'll take you, or it's just an offer and first you have to go to another interview etc.? When would you start working?

I'm on medication, I don't even know if it's me.

I used to wonder the same about myself... Now it's about 3-4 months (I don't even remember! Oh :o!) that I'm off the med and... I think "it was me, too, with the med". I don't really see a difference except for that I'm not so sleepy and... I also had a very pleasant period after finishing with the med - I was not hungry, almost at all, but mostly my craving was completely gone! I didn't need chocolate or other 'morisch stuff', I used to eat normally, but without the craving for food. Sometimes I wonder if I don't cry more often now, but... I think I used to cry the same with the med...

Maybe it gets better. That's what I have to believe anyway.

I'm not sure if it's really good to believe it if you don't feel it's true :(, sorry... What occurs to me when I read this, is that maybe you need to start to work first - that would be a big change of your life that could change other things, including feelings, motivations, relationships (with new colleagues, ...)... I don't know if it's a good 'strategy' (to wait for this kind of change and hope it will also change other things), but... that's what I'm currently doing for quite long :(, so... I mention it here to share...

Good luck with the postdoc position and with the moods... :o

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Something,

So, you've been offered the job? It sounds like you can't believe it and don't trust it. After all frustration, that is very understandable.

I agree with LaLa that it will be good for you to start work, even if it's not the idea job. As LaLa said, you will have new colleagues and a new environment. By the way, it's always easier to get a job when you have a job. You just need to put time into it, ie, a year. Then, if you want something better, you can start looking again.

In my opinion, you are depressed (aren't I brilliant :o). It's a caused by a combination of unemployment for a long time and your past disappointments and what types of chemistry are in your brain. Why not start with self affirmations. It will feel artificial and false at first, but you will start to feel them.

Anyway, I think it's a good thing that you have been offered the job.

Allan

I think it's an essential belief that is not disputable. That would be the second one I know, of beliefs that have to be there no matter whether they are true.

Sorry, I didn't want to 'interfere' negatively with your essential beliefs :(... For me, the 'it's getting better' in your post was mostly related to the effets of the med and so I questioned it, as... it seemed to me that it's not very good to think "I'm on medication, so it should get better" - it's a too passive attitude, althought it's surely better than the opposite 'extreme'. As... maybe the med is not enough, who knows? When you always say to yourself "It's getting better" and it's not, then you cannot 'notice' that it could be better. But I know this is too theoretical and... probably quite useless... :o I'm in a quite sad and very pesimistic mood today, so... who knows if it's a good idea to write here anything... :(

I'm just losing hope. I can't feel good about getting a job, I can't feel good about several months of free time. I can't feel good about the phd. Can I feel good about anything at all?

:-( To be honest, Allan's suggestion about 'self affirmations' seems too challenging to me :-(. But I'm sure there are people who can help themselves this way. So... you can at least try... I hope it will be easier after the change. I hope you'll become too busy, for some time, with all the new issues that it will bring, that... you'll have less time to think about "can I feel as good as I schould feel now?" etc.. Sometimes it's good to 'loose yourself' in an activity (as a new job - and such a challenging as a postdoc in a lab!!), to live for that activity for some time... and maybe the good feelings will come. I'm sorry if I'm too naive here... :o

I see...

I forgot :o to ask about the city in which you should work. I don't mean you have to mention it, I'd just like to know if you feel fine about moving there.

Thanks for the link! :-) :)

It inspired me to share some old music (but this is from the 60ties - my probably most favourite years in music :)) I love and I'm listenting to sometimes also these days... (It's from a country neighboring to yours (and mine), BTW ;-).) I've also found two song with English subtitles!! Look:

(They also have quite a lot of song with children: )

This one doesn't need subtitles ;-P:

(This is also in the same film, but this is another version: )

From another film of the same authors:

poetic blues:

And another film from them: Song named "Goodbye!":

And a balad "a la US music":

(And an interesting unofficial video for this song:

)

Sorry, I hope you don't mind I post here so much YT links... :o

I hope you'll enjoy at least some of them ;-)

OK, I edited the post. (But I didn't mention that it's your name, so... nobody would know!) It's a nice, tender lovesong and I'm sorry it looks like a psycho to you :o... (Well, when you compare it with some English and American psychedelic videoclips from the 60-ties, it's very... how to say it? Innocent? :))

P.S.: I think if I was manic, I would also dance... and I'm not :)

Archived