Mental Support Community

Has the internet spawned generations of socially retarded people?

Thermonuclear Warrior

On 10/8/2020 at 12:07 PM, geronimo said:

@LaLa, Tom Ellis looks a bit different in Lucifer, I think he must be wearing eyeliner or something. 

He does look different! I think he isn't holding himself the same or "wearing" his Lucifer expressions. He looks more relaxed here. Or he could be wearing eyeliner too..🤷‍♀️

• 9 months later...

For one thing, this mindset represented a “naive” acceptance of the claim to self-defense, overlooking that the instinct to carry had as much to do with pride and image as with fear of actual attack. “It’s important to understand that when you’re carrying a weapon, your definition of self-defense expands dramatically,” Abt said. “If you’ve had any contact with young men, particularly young men who are raised in an honor culture where there’s the constant threat of victimization, there’s defense of your physical self, but there’s also a defense of your reputation and of your honor. And so remember that that gun is not going to be used just in terms of physical self-defense. It’s going to be used to protect their reputation as well.”

The phenomenon was all the more acute because of social media, which seemed to be playing a role in a growing number of shootings. Where once a conflict might subside after words on the street, it now lived online in taunts and threats for all to see. “A lot of the things that we see, the retaliations, the shootings, even just having beef with someone, a lot of it starts from Instagram,” said Van de Water, the co-founder of YEAH Philly. “When you had an issue with someone and even if they got into a physical altercation, they used to be able to walk away. But take that to social media, and you’re being embarrassed in front of thousands of people.”

Krasner said he saw this in the cases that arrived at his door. There were still plenty of shootings based in conventional turf battles over drug territory: Homicides in the Kensington police district that includes a vast open-air drug market nearly doubled from the year prior, to 47. But many other shootings were being fueled by social media quarrels. Young people “were isolated, they were separated, and in many instances were attacking each other on the Internet, and resorting to an almost feudal” mindset, Krasner said. “It’s the notion that someone has insulted my honor and therefore I will kill that person.”

https://www.propublica.org/article/philadelphia-homicide-surge

• 2 months later...

Gosh, what a profound observation from the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/10/27/actually-facebook-isnt-making-people-angrier-some-people-are-just-jerks/

Same with the Republican hand wringing over The Children…like it’s suddenly a stunning revelation teenagers use snapchat to send naked photos and videos to each other and treat ugly classmates like lepers.

The fact this even has to be said as if it’s something debatable or insightful is an indictment of this whole stupid era of human history. Social media are the tobacco companies of the 21st century. “Algorithms” are just “the devil made me do it” updated for modern audiences.

People who blame it on “algorithms” or “economic anxiety” or any of the other modern euphemisms are only confirming indirectly that human beings possess no self-control and turn into monsters since they are utterly at the mercy of any outside influence. Except when good things happen then it’s, “What a testament to the invincible human will and the power of positive thinking.” When bad shit happens though it’s always “algorithms” and “descending violence” and “erupting tensions”…never my fault. Never. The algorithm demons possessed me! 

@geronimo 

Well certainly anonymity removes inhibition; as unbelievable as it may seem I have severe social anxiety IRL and have always been shy (which is considered a negative personality trait btw - especially for men - where I come from). So posting on here is cathartic I guess because I can express myself in ways I wouldn’t ordinary do face-face with somebody, but it doesn’t give me feelings or thoughts that I don’t already have. 

The point I’m making, and I see this constantly: basically anytime something “good” happens it’s chalked up to somebody projecting a conscious effort of will to make it happen, but when people do “bad” things it’s always due to some external influence. Why should saying, “some people are just jerks” be revolutionary and controversial?

Life is fatalistic and out of my control until good things happen to me, then it’s all due to MY incredible willpower and strength of character, and now I’m going to start a youtube series and microblog sharing all my brilliant insights with the world and tell you repeatedly how I conquered the demons and what a spectacular human being I am. Now send me some bitcoin for fresh content! 

I’m not on social media either (obviously) because I knew from day one it’s inherent in the structure that it’s toxic and is nothing but an ego inflater or deflater, as the case may be. 

Another amusing factoid: celebrities are now called “influencers”. Because they are so totally different from the old celebrities. No megalomania and preening at all. They’re just like you and me! One of the people ! Not one of those sneering, privileged elites. God forbid.

• 8 months later...