Mental Support Community

adult child in dual-diagnosis rehab

Cheryl

just looking for support and advice for coping with an adult child struggling with mental illness and (prescription) drug abuse. he's been in rehab for a little over a week. not doing well. neither am i. i know that it's not about me, but i am struggling as his mom with being there for him. he has hurt us so badly and done so many awful things. right now the mental illness is front and center. he's not cooperating with the treatment center and i'm afraid they'll kick him out and that we'll be right back where we started.

Welcome to the community, Cheryl. :)

I'm sorry your family is going through this. :(

i know that it's not about me' date=' but i am struggling as his mom with being there for him.[/quote']

It's very important for you to take care of your needs in this. Reaching out for support is a great place to start. Maybe the best way for you to be there for your son is to make taking care of yourself a priority. This must be very painful and draining for you. Do you have support at home with a counselor or family members? I hope you are able to take some time for yourself and get a breather from this distressful situation.

We're here to support you in this. I wish you and your family wellness and healing. Take care.