Mental Support Community

New "KId"

Hi. I'm a 44 year old female from Utah. I have had depression and anxiety for all of my life. I was diagnosed when I was 19. I have been a nurse (LPN) for 19 years, and have gone back to school to finish my RN. I came here to learn how other people deal with the stress of depression, anxiety, and feelings of isolation. Lately I cry a lot and feel a lot of frustration. I don't know if it is life, or nursing school or a midlife crisis that has brought this on. Usually I just feel blank, which I have gotten used to. My Nurse Practitioner says that feelings are progress, but I'm not sure what to do about them. Any comfort/advice/needed kick in the butt would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, Zigadenus, and welcome to our community. I am struck right away by your signature "Always be kind-Everyone is fighting some kind of battle." It's true that all of us have our own personal struggles and kindness is something that we can always offer to one another along the way.

My Nurse Practitioner says that feelings are progress' date=' but I'm not sure what to do about them. [/quote']

Do you also have a counselor that you talk with about your depression and anxiety? You mentioned "feeling blank." Talking about feelings and confronting old pain can bring things to the surface. Maybe this is what is happening? You might find it helpful to talk about and process your emotions with a professional. I have found that journaling and reaching out to friends for support during difficult times is beneficial for me.

Combating anxiety is also challenging for me. It usually helps me to spend time in nature or find a quiet place with the comfort of a friend. Everyone is different and has different needs, though. What has worked in the past to ease your anxiety?

Any comfort/advice/needed kick in the butt would be greatly appreciated.

I am always willing to offer comfort. I'm sorry things are so difficult and painful for you right now, Zig. I hope you can do something special for yourself today. We're here to listen and support you. Please take gentle care.

Hello Zig, I'm sorry that you are experiencing this rough patch. How is school going for you? How did it go when you were in school before? Maybe repressed memories coming to the surface. Anyway, whatever the reason for your current feelings of anxiety and frustration, the best place to start is with your physical self. Get counseling if you need it and medicate if you have to (if it is determined to be best for you). But take care of you. With working and school you may not be getting the same amount of positive, stress relieving exercise and your eating habits may have changed a little and you may be getting less satisfying sleep. These things seem so minor but they mean so much to your natural mood regulators/mental health. Only you know what other changes accompanied your return to school. If you can find the time, exercise is the best for a multitude of issues.

I hope this helps some. Sorry I don't have more. Good Luck!

Hello, Zigadenus, welcome! :)

There are already some good questions and suggestions here, so I'll be just brief:

...feelings of isolation. Lately I cry a lot and feel a lot of frustration. I don't know if it is life, or nursing school or a midlife crisis that has brought this on. Usually I just feel blank, which I have gotten used to. My Nurse Practitioner says that feelings are progress, but I'm not sure what to do about them.

I also think it can be seen as progress: When you feel frustration, you can start to search for everything that makes you frustrated and for ways how to overcome it. And when you feel isolated, it can be a good sign that you alredy feel a need to be more social. Maybe you're not yet ready to socialize a lot, but... you can explore what's preventing you from it and how could you change it. BTW; you've already started: by joining this community ;)!

I've read your replies to others here and I see that you can bring gentle support and good insights. I hope that helping others also could bring you some good feelings that you need, especially in this hard times...

Take care!