Mental Support Community

A bug on the wall of society

mts

I have struggled with social anxiety in the past and things can get better. My eye contact, though much improved, still needs some work. I think you will find that as you feel more relaxed and okay with yourself, eye contact will come more naturally to you.

I'm sorry no one replied sooner to your earlier response. It can be challenging talking about struggles and vulnerabilities. We all have them. I know I sure do. Part of being human. I hope you can be gentle with yourself.

Take care.

How did you improve your eye contact? And when you say needs improvement; are you still often concious of it while talking then? How does it feel different now to before?

I think some of the difficulty for me with maintaining eye contact was in being fully seen by others. In the past, there was some part of me unhappy with myself, lacking confidence, low self-esteem... So I started by working on myself and how I felt about me. I also practiced projecting confidence and then challenged myself to make more eye contact with others. I was surprised when others began responding more positively to me. It has been easier for me to do as I've felt more comfortable with myself and less needy of approval from others. Am I still conscious of my eye contact during conversations? Some. I think it's a learning process. One thing I want to work on is my instinct to look away when another initiates the eye contact. How does it feel different now? It's easier and more natural to do. I'm making much more eye contact with others now. My interactions have improved. I don't feel afraid. I know it's okay to be me and let myself be seen. I believe I'm capable. I know I'm still me even if I don't get a positive response. Lots of positive changes. You can do it too. :)

Do you do anything to help yourself relax, such as meditation or deep breathing? It's great that you have a friend you feel comfortable with. I hope you continue to grow and make progress.

Take care.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, too, whatever makes it hard for you to make eye contact may not be a general-practitioner kind of thing to treat. It doesn't mean that it's something more shameful or harder to treat.

I'm glad you found the courage to take the step, MTS. There are probably more steps ahead, but the first one is usually the hardest.