Mental Support Community

Hello, I am a new member here! :)

ForeverDorks

Hi there!

My name is Daniel, I live in Canada, and I am 22 years of age. I have had anxiety since I was in my teens and I have been taking medication for my ADD/ADHD since I was 4 years old. I have a little bit of depression, but, I am trying to take control of it and I am doing really well with my anxiety. I have joined this site because I was looking for mental health forums to join and this one came up. It looks like a pretty cool website, that is really active. I plan on participating in conversations, posts, and discussions. I also want to share my own experiences and tell you how I got through the hard times. I am also on this site because I want to be there for other people, support others and give advice, as well as to make new friends :).

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to comment on this introduction post I made, or send me a private message.

Thank you,

Daniel

What does "dorky" even mean (to you)?

Many of the "faults" that people pick on, such as sensitivity, can also be seen as qualities. It's hard when you're young, and you're still deciding which are which.

Well, the unique things would be the ones that make you feel like an oddball with the people you know.

There are very few traits that anyone has that are completely unique, that no one else has (because we're all humans.) It's the combination that's completely unique. And some would say that our uniqueness goes beyond that, even: we're also unique in what we would choose to do next, not just in the set of traits we have now.

It's unusual to know about pregnancy and babies? Okay, people might notice that you talk when you type, but that's probably at least partly the ADD, right? There are worse things. One of my co-workers used to complain that every person she passed driving in traffic was picking their nose ... Of course, that was back before people texted in traffic.

:-) I smiled because I'm glad that you've found a fellow oddball. It's not that different than my girlfriend and I feel about each other.

Is it relevant where you learned about pregnancy? Is it related to what you do, or want to do, for a living?

I majored in Biology, and my brother is a nurse, so maybe I'm less surprised than some would be.

Honestly, I just was curious about it when I was going through puberty, and it just stuck with me. Like, I think pregnant bellies are really beautiful and I love seeing a baby being born. It is not realized to what I do. I would love to be an OB-GYN, but, I cannot abort babies, it just, I can't. I can't kill a human being. There is nothing wrong with a man being a nurse.

Well, I'm sure that a lot of doctors share your beliefs. And there's a lot of work to be done in obstetrics besides abortions.

I agree about male nurses. My brother is a good nurse. He got his degree in Marine Biology, but was interested enough to become an Emergency Medical Technician while going to school. Then, when he got out, there were a lot fewer openings for a marine biologist, so he went back to school in nursing. He worked in emergency rooms and flew with a local trauma helicopter service for quite a few years. Eventually, he settled down into working as a nurse-anesthetist during surgery. He and his wife have two children.

I was curious about dinosaurs when I was going through puberty, and much of what I learned has stuck with me. It's okay that we're all unique. :-)