Mental Support Community

hi

itinaeroa

Haha I've kinda done this back to front. Went on the boards first and then came here.

Well, I'm 35, live in beautiful New Zealand.

My back yard is dense bush stretching out to the harbour.

When I feel down I look out at the scene and breathe.

I have been hearing voices since 2011 and have learned to live with them.

I have no other symptoms other than voice hearing.

Hello, itinaeroa, welcome :)

It's great that you've learned to live with them! Does it also mean they don't bother you and they are not mean to you? Because I'd say that if they are somehow "negative" or "mean", then it would be better to find their "meaning", the reason why they appeared, ... probably "make some changes" and they could disappear - it they "role" was to "let you know that some changes would be good", so to say. But, well; everybody is different, so they might not have "such a role" for you.

Do you know this website?

http://www.hearing-voices.org/

Take care!

Have you talked to your doctor about it? Their might be medications or something out there that will quite them.

Hi, it all started out pretty sudden and lead to the onset of severe psychosis within 2 weeks of the onset. I was hospitalized and placed on medication. For year I was on one type of medication then was hospitalized for Diabetic Ketoacidosis and was diagnosed with Diabetes. They took me off that medication and put me on another one which works well to quieten the voices.

Hello, itinaeroa, welcome :)

It's great that you've learned to live with them! Does it also mean they don't bother you and they are not mean to you? Because I'd say that if they are somehow "negative" or "mean", then it would be better to find their "meaning", the reason why they appeared, ... probably "make some changes" and they could disappear - it they "role" was to "let you know that some changes would be good", so to say. But, well; everybody is different, so they might not have "such a role" for you.

Do you know this website?

http://www.hearing-voices.org/

Take care!

Hi lala, we have a similar site here in NZ which I think is part of the same group - hearingvoices.org.nz

I personally think that negative voices can be positive simply by translating what they say into positive statements eg they might say 'you need to die' so you consciously change that to 'you need to live' etc I've found many positive statement can come from this process and it also lead to the voices adjusting to a more pleasant tone.

Do you think being diabetic effected you hear the voices? It seemed as if you were associating the two... Do you think there was a cause that made you start hearing voices? Maybe head trauma something like that, have you had a CAT scan?

I am glad you can turn them into positive voices when they aren't always. At least you are getting help :)

Do you think being diabetic effected you hear the voices? It seemed as if you were associating the two... Do you think there was a cause that made you start hearing voices? Maybe head trauma something like that, have you had a CAT scan?

I am glad you can turn them into positive voices when they aren't always. At least you are getting help :)

Hi, sorry if i'm being confusing.

* The only link between voices and diabetes is the anti psychotic medication. The one i was on is known to increase the risk of getting diabetes.

* I don't think that was the cause of hearing voices.

* I asked for scans but the pdoc wasn't gonna go there.