Mental Support Community

Job fears

Victimorthecrime

I should get a book or read on line about planning. There is something I am missing.

Most of the time my plan gets derailed by things beyond my control - I catch a cold or something w the car or the house breaks down or job troubles stress me out to where I cannot function or if the plan involves other people they will let me down.

I have hunch that people who plan well do a better job than me at looking at the contingencies; looking at what likely could go wrong and have a planned response for that as well. I should develop a rudimentary decision tree complete w if/then statements.

• 4 weeks later...

Got a day off for the MLK holiday so I am grateful for that. It is 20 degrees out there but I hope to do some shopping and a few chores and a short nap later.

One of the reasons I am pushing for sobriety and health and savings is so I can address this job situation in 2016. That will entail enhancing my skill set, my references/network, wardrobe, and overall energy level.

Also want to increase my social life in a way that does not involve my drinking. Thankfully the 2 friends I do have both rarely drink and even when they do it is one beer and done.

Failing to decide is deciding to fail.

Anyone else have anything similar going on??

I very much dislike networking and harvesting too.

Sometimes I get down on myself but to be fair a lot has changed since I graduated college in 1984. There was no outsourcing. No insourcing either. Layoffs were all but unheard of.

Companies hired people, lots of them, because they had to. File clerks, typists, secretaries, administrators, receptionists, mail room personnel, customer service, book keepers, sales reps, account managers, layers of management, etc, and these were direct hires, not through some staffing agency. All you had to do was walk in the front door and fill out an application. If they liked you you were sometimes hired on the spot. They didn't need to check w HR and legal and interview you 3 fucking times. Now those days and those jobs are all but gone.

I sure as hell didn't see it coming.

Thanks Victim, you never quite know how life will work out. What's the plan? Planning on moving up or moving on? I've unfortunately resigned myself to the idea I'll probably always be a recluse. I don't mind going out now & then but I'm far more comfortable behind closed doors. Glad to hear you're putting yourself out there!

I'm sending best wishes for career improvement to you, VoBN1C, igiveup, and Draco

I'm looking for a job myself this month, and it hasn't been easy.

igiveup, i'm glad someone besides me has had trouble with networking. I was never good at making friends quickly, or at impressing people in social situations. I drove to "networking events" dreading it the whole time, then awkwardly gave out 2 or 3 business cards, then stood awkwardly at the periphery of 2 or 3 conversations without successfully getting into any of them, then drove home with the blue buzz of failure going around in my brain. It was awful, i was awful.

Hope things look up for everyone.

The future is going to belong to the people who can manipulate and manage information - programmers, telecommunications, and computer/data scientists (cryptographers, mathematicians, computational physicists, etc).

and you say you don't like "the big bang theory". those guys are the future lol.

Who the fuck knows. Probably not. I'm stupid and not good at anything but mimicry. I've given up anyway so I don't give a shit.

Why don't you give it a go and see what happens? Humour yourself. If it doesn't get you anywhere you haven't lost anything except time & money which you probably would've blown on something equally as wasteful anyway.

My son works in IT. There seems to be a lot of career opportunities. He had several offers and had to choose one. This is much unlike my daughter's field of art, where there is no art office to go and apply to for a job.

I could have gone into training to become a store manager, but chose not to. I do know most of everything through years of hands on training, but I don't think I have the right personality for it and it never felt like a need. Also, it would have meant I would no longer be able to work with my husband and that would suck. So 20 years later, I'm still a cashier. I'm okay with that. I know I work hard and put my best efforts into what I do.

Maybe you would excel at IT, Klingsor?

I could have gone into training to become a store manager, but chose not to. I do know most of everything through years of hands on training, but I don't think I have the right personality for it and it never felt like a need. Also, it would have meant I would no longer be able to work with my husband and that would suck. So 20 years later, I'm still a cashier. I'm okay with that. I know I work hard and put my best efforts into what I do.

that's so sweet, beth. :)

Maybe you would excel at IT, Klingsor?

ya, you excel at excel. :P