Mental Support Community

Job fears

Victimorthecrime

My son works in IT. There seems to be a lot of career opportunities. He had several offers and had to choose one. This is much unlike my daughter's field of art, where there is no art office to go and apply to for a job.

I could have gone into training to become a store manager, but chose not to. I do know most of everything through years of hands on training, but I don't think I have the right personality for it and it never felt like a need. Also, it would have meant I would no longer be able to work with my husband and that would suck. So 20 years later, I'm still a cashier. I'm okay with that. I know I work hard and put my best efforts into what I do.

Maybe you would excel at IT, Klingsor?

IJ, i like the fact that you are comfortable with being a cashier.

In fact, i even find it inspiring.

We will never be truly liberated until we liberate ourselves from the idea

that our job is the source of our worth.

OK, so, i’ve been at my new job for four days, and

this really happened this week at my new job:

I’m a computer technician, and i was at the front counter working on a laptop computer for a lady

I got done with the repair, and i was closing it up, which involves screwing a panel back into place.

One of the senior techs is next to me, closing up the computer that had been the source of repair parts

(we do use parts from other computers, but only for old models. Don’t sweat it.)

So he’s reattaching the panel on his, with his screwdriver, and i’m reattaching the panel on mine,

and he says, “IT’S A SCREWDRIVER RACE”

then he spins his screwdriver real fast, screws the screws in real fast,

and when he gets done he gloats, “I WIN.”

This is what people do to me in the workplace.

There’s always that one or two who want to drill me (literally, in this case).

They see me as somebody who’s fun to humiliate.

So many people say, “c’mon, high school’s in the past! You’re not getting bullied now!

And it’s your fault that he did that! You let him do that!”

It gets me so angry.

Just clarifying: i was a lawyer but couldn't make a living from it (yeah, believe it or not, that really happens).

So in 1998 i changed careers and became a computer technician.

So that's the backstory.

If the Screwdriver Race doesn't sound like harassment to you, I don't take that as a sign of insensitivity.

It hurt me because it triggered memories of competitive sports in high school,

which were an area in which other teenaged boys shamed me repeatedly

(twice a week during physical education class).

And the "i beat you!" attitude was the same.

Just explaining; not judging.

We all have different triggers for our suffering (or sometimes no triggers at all).

For example, i still haven't gotten my head around this concept of Small Penis Syndrome.

Personally i don't see it as anything that any man should be ashamed of.

BUT THAT'S JUST ME.

I realize that for many others, it's a torturously shameful experience,

and for them the shame is as real as my shame in this situation.

Our American culture is so poisoned by this idea of

"I'm better than you because you are/have/do/perform/etc. less than i do."

It isn't just competition; it's snobbery and belligerence.

We claim to be an egalitarian culture, but we're not.

We crave inequality, invent new ways to be unequal.

It would be OK if we simply wanted to be winners; but we always look for ways to point out the losers.

• 3 weeks later...

Our American culture is so poisoned by this idea of

"I'm better than you because you are/have/do/perform/etc. less than i do."

It isn't just competition; it's snobbery and belligerence.

We claim to be an egalitarian culture, but we're not.

We crave inequality, invent new ways to be unequal.

It would be OK if we simply wanted to be winners; but we always look for ways to point out the losers.

I agree that things are mean spirited here and increasingly so but I am not sure things are all that different in other countries China, India, Brazil, Europe, etc.

• 3 months later...

I have got 4 days off starting tomorrow Saturday 5-28-16. Oddly I am feeling more apprehensive than optimistic about it.  Not sure what I should do w myself.  As long as I am not just stuck in front of the TV doing nothing I should try to be happy.  Maybe I'll hit the to do list: go for a walk, shopping, cleaning up around the house, planning.  It all sounds so boring.  I could scare up a little fun. Play it by ear, see how I feel. Tonight I am content to drink coffee and mull things over. 

Troubled by time off lol. It goes to show you it's all how you think about it. 

I'm feeling good (physically). Gotta keep that going. 

I hope you enjoy your time off, Vic. (I'm working the next 4 days...:/)

I know I always feel better when I am able to do something productive on off days (yesterday I cut the front lawn and did some gardening), but sometimes I need a day of relaxation too. Maybe listen to your needs? Good news that you have been feeling well physically too. 

Take care and be well.

This is not even related to this topic but who cares.  

If I had to give one piece of advice to young people it would be this: don't let your emotions high jack your agenda.  

Thats what happened to me. During my college years feelings of bitter disappointment in both myself and others led me down the path of booze and weed because I said to myself "fuck it. What does it matter? Everything and everyone sucks so why not just get wasted?".  

• 4 weeks later...