Mental Support Community

People on the Internet saying you have a certain mental illness

3eto

Asking lots of uninformed people a question and getting the same answer from many of them might simply mean that they're all similarly misinformed. That's not counting people's tendency to be free with opinions online that they would never voice in person.

The best way to get any kind of opinion on a health matter (mental or otherwise) is to ask someone who is specifically trained in the treatment of such problems. Even then, it's an opinion, but most likely they will at the same time offer a treatment plan which you can evaluate on your own. Seriously, it's not what they call it that matters, but rather whether they offer a way that seems to make sense for how to treat it.

Asking lots of uninformed people a question and getting the same answer from many of them might simply mean that they're all similarly misinformed. That's not counting people's tendency to be free with opinions online that they would never voice in person.

The best way to get any kind of opinion on a health matter (mental or otherwise) is to ask someone who is specifically trained in the treatment of such problems. Even then, it's an opinion, but most likely they will at the same time offer a treatment plan which you can evaluate on your own. Seriously, it's not what they call it that matters, but rather whether they offer a way that seems to make sense for how to treat it.

seems to make sense to whom? the patient probably has no idea what makes sense and what doesn't, specially if he/she doesn't know what exactly is wrong with him/her.

I feel that the specific diagnosis (or label) is not necessarily what is important...finding a way to feel better is what truly matters. If a professional is helping, then the person should see and feel improvement. If a specific treatment plan or a therapy relationship is not working out, one can try different methods or different therapists.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like I was unintentionally hurt by the post that went like this: "You have too many of the warning signs of bipolar disorder." It is clear that the person who said that only wanted to scare me into going to therapy, but it unintentionally sounds like the people in my life who have told me that I was too (insert negative trait here).

• 2 months later...

I mean, when I was 13, an occupational therapist said I might have Asperger's syndrome and I overreacted because I wanted to feel as "normal" as possible. My brain is split into two camps: the part of myself that knows that you should seek professional help when you are in need, and the "awkward 13 year old" part of myself who wants to feel cool and socially competent.