Mental Support Community

Keep it brief

Hi,

Keeping this short, I'm a 19 year old female 2 months into a 4 month trip. I am half a globe away from my loved ones (literally a 12 hour time difference) and am struggling. Not with the travel - I was having a great time. I have a history of depression and 2 suicide attempts under my belt, but that was 4 years ago and I worked hard and moved past that place in my life. I can't afford to slip back.

I posted my actual issue under the 'urgent' board post thing. I am a world away from family and friends and I know if I don't seek out some kind of support now I will end up like I was 4 years ago. I can see the possibility there but at the moment am struggling to do anything about it.

So yeah, I came to post on the urgent board because I got pretty desperate, but figured an introduction is never a bad thing. Plus it makes this a more social experience, and people looking at social experiences aren't people close to offing themselves. I figure.

Hope everyone is as well as they can be x

• 2 weeks later...

I am new also and I know your post was from a couple weeks ago. Your reaching out is a good thing. I hope you have found some balance or reassurance. I have fought depression my whole life. Churchill use to call it "That damn black dog." It is very hard to feel alone. Be kind to yourself. If I am hurting if I can just life in the moment, feel the sun or breeze on my skin, concentrate on my breathing, these things sometimes help. I have attempted suicide in the past. My next comment is only for myself but maybe you can use it, "Just because I think of it, it is not a good idea to do it." Be gentle with yourself and remember you have the right to be here as much as the flowers, birds, or eben all those crazy other people (smile). I am rooting for you. Be well.