Mental Support Community

If you can't afford a psychologist, then what else can you do?

Guest ChinaDoll

Guest ChinaDoll

I can think of a thousand answers to that right now. Mostly pertaining to bodily harm or near bodily harm, with or without the aid of harmful substances and/or objects.

Anyone in here have a better idea?

my technique is keeping myself (my mind) as busy with other things as possible, and just sort of riding it out. been doing it for years. i know it's not for everyone though. i don't believe in psychotherapy anyway.

i will advise on one thing though; there is not much benefit in doing things that cause more harm than good. things that might provide momentary "relief", but cause more problems in the long run. these things don't make the problem(s) go away, nor do they fix them; and once their effect is gone, your right back where you were, usually even worse than before.

please, doll, don't hurt yourself.

we're here to listen. take care.

Guest ChinaDoll

Yup. I know that. I dont even drink. But when the burden feels so heavy, it feels so easy to just give in.

Thanks, Resolute.

Just turned on some music to drown out my thoughts. Maybe watching something might work better.

I sometimes enjoy a few beers on the weekends. Just the regular kind, not that high alcohol stuff. Some people don't drink for health reasons, others for religious reasons, others just don't enjoy it or have other reasons.

With no direct access to a psychologist one can find help on the internet from behavioral health professionals either on line or over the phone. My employer offers free phone counseling and I have used it in the past to good effect.

In my view what a good counselor does is get you to see that past it not predicate; good things can happen, life can be better if you open your mind to that possibility and give yourself permission to move forward. So anything you do that gets you to that space will have the same effect.