Mental Support Community

My so called life

Small

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:37 AM, Resolute said:

what the hell does she see in you? :D maybe she was captivated with your math skills... or maybe your cooking. :P

This is a mystery that's plagued Nobel prize winners.  What was here before the universe began? What lies beyond the boundaries of the known universe?

And of course why did she insist on a second date? Theoretical physicists are baffled......

My math skills are......uh, non existent.  She's a better cook than I am, so......  

26 minutes ago, retr0john said:

This is a mystery that's plagued Nobel prize winners.  What was here before the universe began?

other universes and big bangs.

What lies beyond the boundaries of the known universe?

the unknown universe, duh. :tiny-smileys-yesemoticons-029:

And of course why did she insist on a second date? Theoretical physicists are baffled......

she had probably lost a bet. :D seriously tho, just messing with you.

She's a better cook than I am, so......  

so maybe we should take her instead. better cook and better looking. :Ponder::lol:

5 minutes ago, retr0john said:

Ok, this made me stop and think. You know, I'd never thought about this. Hmmm.......

or a dare lol. but kidding aside, don't even think about it, man. maybe she'd heard good things about you, and didn't think the date went too badly.

ok, one more joke; maybe she wanted to get to second base (or beyond) lmao.

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:50 PM, Pax said:

@retr0john

You done any more diy projects lately? Any major projects?

Gonna try again. I've just been involved in a couple small projects.

I helped a friend and his son wire an old house he bought. He got a hold of me and said if I'd tell them what to do, they would make the hard wiring pulls. I landed all the switches, outlets and fixtures. The house is old plaster and lath. I showed them how to sister onto the old crooked rough cut studs and make a square straight wall the dry wall hangers could use. I installed a 200 amp breaker box and was there when the inspector looked the wiring over.

My grandma had an old Singer treadle sewing machine she had been given by her mom. She let my mom take it and use it years ago. My dad passed away last August. Mom was cleaning out a lot of stuff. She finally let me take the antique home.

It was in real rough shape. This was a much used household appliance. Over the years it had become run down simply from use by four generations of families.

I carefully took it apart and cleaned the metal base and sewing machine. I waxed the sewing top and cleaned the little chrome accent pieces Singer had originally.

The wood had become pretty rickety. I removed all the fasteners and reglued the wooden structure. The old finish had taken a real beating. I stripped it and cleaned it up. Then I hand rubbed some old fashioned tung oil into the wood and let it dry. The result looks like a 100 year old Singer that has simply not been used, but doesn't look 'fixed up' or refinished.

I wound the bobbin, threaded the machine up and sewed a little piece of cloth. It worked great so I walked away and left well enough alone.

Ok, crossing my fingers as I hit the Submit Reply button.

EDIT: Yay! 

EDIT #2: The result is a 100 year old Singer that looks like it hasn't been used much, but doesn't look restored or refinished.

1 hour ago, retr0john said:

The result looks like a 100 year old Singer that has simply not been used, but doesn't look 'fixed up' or refinished.

you mean used, but not fixed up or refinished?

1 hour ago, retr0john said:

I wound the bobbin, threaded the machine up and sewed a little piece of cloth.

right back to women's work! :P

is the machine supposed to be for you, or your wife?

Hey that's great john! I have pulled more romex than I care to remember...I can wire 3 ways and 4 ways, breaker boxes, rheostats, appliances, and a bit of hvac and small motor wiring as well. I always wanted to know more about 3 phase. At one time I was thinking of becoming a lineman. I've wished 100x over I would've done that. Honest work. Wasting 4-6 years of ones best years in books just to become a cubicle rat is a steep price to pay for the sake of being a "professional" imho.

Nice job on the sewing machine, sounds like a fun project. I think I mentioned this once but my grandad has an old Farmall 450 tractor rusting away that I would like to refurbish at some point. However, it is an intimidating project in many respects. 

Well thanks for sharing, I enjoy reading about things like that. Take care.

1 hour ago, Resolute said:

you mean used, but not fixed up or refinished?

right back to women's work! :P

is the machine supposed to be for you, or your wife?

Yeah, I spaced it. That sentence was screwed up in so many ways.

No, no woman's work. Just a test. It's just a display piece. I'd hurt myself if I tried to use it, Sarah doesn't sew.

1 hour ago, Pax said:

Hey that's great john! I have pulled more romex than I care to remember...I can wire 3 ways and 4 ways, breaker boxes, rheostats, appliances, and a bit of hvac and small motor wiring as well. I always wanted to know more about 3 phase. At one time I was thinking of becoming a lineman. I've wished 100x over I would've done that. Honest work. Wasting 4-6 years of ones best years in books just to become a cubicle rat is a steep price to pay for the sake of being a "professional" imho.

Nice job on the sewing machine, sounds like a fun project. I think I mentioned this once but my grandad has an old Farmall 450 tractor rusting away that I would like to refurbish at some point. However, it is an intimidating project in many respects. 

Well thanks for sharing, I enjoy reading about things like that. Take care.

Three phase isn't hard to deal with. You sound like you're very familiar with wiring, it'd be easy for you.

You should get that old Farmall and at least tear it down. It's not doing anything right now. It's just rusting away. Satisfy your own curiosity by tearing it apart. If you decide to not restore it, nothing harmed. I think you'd enjoy it. You're good with your hands, and you're technically minded. If you didn't get bored with it, I think you'd do a great job on the restoration. 

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Small said:

Work is stressing me out so much :( Wish I could slip into a medically induced come for 6 months. 

I think my job has burned out my adrenal glands. So much drama & bullshit I am just numb to it.  

I know you like certain aspects of your job Small, what part of it has you stressed?  Deadlines?  Asshole coworkers/managers?  Did they change the dress code to no longer allow onesies?  

Any chance for vacation time soon? :(Is there anything you do enjoy about your work? Are you able to do anything relaxing at home to help cope with the stress?

I do my best to keep a distance from work drama. I will listen and support, but not engage in gossip or negativity. My line is- I just push buttons.

I hope things improve for you, Small, and you get a breather from the stress. Take care.

@Victimorthecrime

Blah. Looks like the workplace is fucking us both. I hope it becomes more bearable for you somehow. It's mostly the workload for me. I'm always drowning in it, every moment of every day I'm addressing problems in my mind, then double checking it on a Sunday. It's like I'm losing my sense of identity, and transforming into an employee sort of thing. 

@Small if you have a good relationship w your manager I would give some thought to bringing up the workload issue in your next meeting.  I hope things get better, sending you positive energy.  

For me workload is not the issue it is job security.  They are sending our jobs to the Philippines and hiring a lot of temp workers and it has the employees worried.  

@Victimorthecrime

I'm going to need that positive energy, because a reduced workload is out of the question for a while. I'm unofficially responsible for the outcome of a project that has been going on for some time & deadlines are ever looming. Job security problems must suck, idk, that's a whole new level of stress. 

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:32 PM, Small said:

@Victimorthecrime

I'm going to need that positive energy, because a reduced workload is out of the question for a while. I'm unofficially responsible for the outcome of a project that has been going on for some time & deadlines are ever looming. Job security problems must suck, idk, that's a whole new level of stress. 

Just now seen this Small. Sorry you're tore up brother. I'm sure if you have to move on you've got many marketable skills you can cite. Employers will line up to get you!

On 25/05/2017 at 4:14 PM, retr0john said:

Just now seen this Small. Sorry you're tore up brother. I'm sure if you have to move on you've got many marketable skills you can cite. Employers will line up to get you!

Thanks, the message means a lot. I have to hang in and grind it out, hopefully there will be easier times to come. How's work coming with you? Are you still boxing? Wanna fight? Haha no don't hit me please. Hope you're well.