Mental Support Community
Small

My so called life

@Victimorthecrime  I just find - and I don't know if this applies to a lot of people who've had psychosis- that I can't watch films about perception, altered states, thrillers, sci-fi. That cuts out a lot of movies. For ages I didn't like watching a big screen either.

So I would just watch something comical now. 

Yes, films/media can have an effect. I sometimes read commentators that say media reflects life but often I think it is more the overactive/odd imaginations of the writers. Then there are times when they use shock value to get publicity.

I like to watch stuff that makes me feel uplifted.

@jazz

It's satisfying to find a film that truly fits your taste. Like Klingsor I can watch them over & over. I prefer old favourites to new films usually, but every now & then i get lucky and dig up a gem. I watched A ghost story last week. I don't know what to make of it other than liking it.

My h enjoyed the Matrix, but that's generally not my kind of movie, though not because it is triggering for me. I prefer films about relationships (not necessarily romantic relationships) or character/psychological studies. Nice scenery always helps too. I do also enjoy uplifting movies and movies that make me think. H is geared toward action movies and I enjoy slower moving movies about people. It's always interesting how each person has their own preferences. I can watch over and over again too if it's something I really enjoy.

At any rate, it is nice to be able to relax and forget about life problems for a few hours. It's a recharge for me.

Thanks for the clarification jazz.  I am 55 and I find I just don't have the time for what Hollywood is peddling these days.  

Once in a while I will catch something on the classic movie channel that will amuse me.  

Harold & Maude was a great movie if you are looking for something both comedic and uplifting.  You've probably seen it.