Mental Support Community
Small

My so called life

@Victimorthecrime  I just find - and I don't know if this applies to a lot of people who've had psychosis- that I can't watch films about perception, altered states, thrillers, sci-fi. That cuts out a lot of movies. For ages I didn't like watching a big screen either.

So I would just watch something comical now. 

Yes, films/media can have an effect. I sometimes read commentators that say media reflects life but often I think it is more the overactive/odd imaginations of the writers. Then there are times when they use shock value to get publicity.

I like to watch stuff that makes me feel uplifted.

@jazz

It's satisfying to find a film that truly fits your taste. Like Klingsor I can watch them over & over. I prefer old favourites to new films usually, but every now & then i get lucky and dig up a gem. I watched A ghost story last week. I don't know what to make of it other than liking it.

My h enjoyed the Matrix, but that's generally not my kind of movie, though not because it is triggering for me. I prefer films about relationships (not necessarily romantic relationships) or character/psychological studies. Nice scenery always helps too. I do also enjoy uplifting movies and movies that make me think. H is geared toward action movies and I enjoy slower moving movies about people. It's always interesting how each person has their own preferences. I can watch over and over again too if it's something I really enjoy.

At any rate, it is nice to be able to relax and forget about life problems for a few hours. It's a recharge for me.

Thanks for the clarification jazz.  I am 55 and I find I just don't have the time for what Hollywood is peddling these days.  

Once in a while I will catch something on the classic movie channel that will amuse me.  

Harold & Maude was a great movie if you are looking for something both comedic and uplifting.  You've probably seen it.  

I skated outside last week. For the first 10 minutes i was fine, i got over all the bumps & cracks fluidly. But idk what happened. A switch went off & i lost all my confidence - with that i kept losing my balance. Sigh. 

Tried ice skating last year, hurt myself bad. I was ok holding on to the giant seal thing when I was pushing my kid, but before that I hit the floor hard. Thank God my gf wasn't there, she'd have laughed her tits off. 

I used to play in a softball league when I was a kid. I recall I was at shortstop one game and a ball went through my legs. I quickly lost all confidence in my ability to field ground balls. The next 3 balls also went through my legs.. You aren't alone.. Confidence can be vulnerable. You got yourself outside and did it. I hope you will try again.

I'm excited that it's almost ice skating season at the local college. I usually stay close to the rail, haha, just in case.

I hope you had fun, both of you, before you spilled.

Hey guys,

I hope everyone is doing well. It's been a while since I have last posted - life has been getting in the way I guess. How is everyone? Feel free to post here and let me know how things have ben recently. I look a the sps sub forum now and then and it really does seem like a big problem. I do hope that everyone finds the resolve required to deal with their issues - no matter what they are. I had a moment of crisis last night and may very well still be in one. My life is not straightforward. I know that everyone here is lacking in some form or another otherwise we wouldn't be here- even for those who just want to connect with likeminded people. 

I remember when I first joined this forum and the months and years thereafter. I don't have any shame in admitting that it has brought me much in the way of excitement, drama, joy and a support group. I have met some cool guys here - some still with us and others not. I think sometimes perspective helps and though I have been in my fair share of bickering and spats, I wouldn't change that for the world. I think time either sterilises events or it gives them meaning. This place means so much to me. I hope you all are as well as can be. I do intend to post more!