Mental Support Community

My so called life

Small

I went ice skating recently and I was surprised how well it went. I hadn't been skating in decades and I recalled sucking at it in the past. I can't tell if my memory is off or I'm just not as hard on myself now. :mellow: I found roller skating to be a bit easier, though. Either way, it's fun. :-) I think you should try it.

Ice skating is cool, roller skating puts me off for the same reason skateboarding does. When you come off, it hurts and you look like a twat. My eldest got a skateboard for Christmas last year and was loving it. Then the thing shot out from under him and he landed right on his arse. After he'd finished shouting at me for laughing my head off he made me put it away because he hated it now. Figures. 

I've done both in the past but was an expert at neither. Roller skating is much easier than ice skating imho. I really enjoyed it and I just happened to watch a movie last night that had people roller skating in it.

It took me back to my youth because we hung out in the skating ring a lot.

Thanks for the info guys and gals. I might request a pair for Xmas or perhaps buy one of my own. I want to start out with the quad roller skates. I hope I'm not completely useless at it. I am obviously way behind all of you guys. I'm just worried because looking at your posts - you all took to ice skating and I couldn't get the hang of it.

I read recently that skating is about engaging the core. Would this be accurate? Because this is definitely not something i did on my ice attempt. I was solely focussed on foot placement so had little in the way of a centre of balance/gravity

@Klingsor

This is true for me too. I really desperately want to be able to glide around on the ice or on skates. I'm desperately lazy too. Hopefully I will pick it up. If not that's another nail in the coffin :(

Once you learn something after a while it becomes almost automatic. I have struggled to teach my girls because I haven't been able to describe exactly what I'm doing when I skate. :/

Lean back on your right leg and push off, moving forward with your left leg. Glide forward, alternating feet...left, right, left..Something like that anyway. I can only do it now because I learned a very long time ago; my daughters still need practice to learn. Give yourself some time and with practice I'm sure you'll get it. I find it freeing and it seems to lift my mood. I hope you enjoy skating, Small. :)

I could play softball, tennis, and basketball, but I was just awful at soccer and volleyball. I was always tripping over the soccer ball and my arms would bruise instantly every time I made contact with the volleyball. :rolleyes: Tennis was my strongest sport.

Small -- it is core intensive and you have to utilize your whole body. Honestly I always thought roller blades were easier for me than skates, but most people start with skates. Also don't feel inferior; I just said I liked it, but I'm by no means superior at it. If I were to put on a pair today I'm sure I'd eat dirt several times. 

Wow Beth, I'm exactly the opposite...a total klutz when it comes to catching anything except a virus. My footwork is much better than my hand coordination for some reason. I'd like to learn to dance but I'm too shy.

I've requested a pair for Xmas. I hope I'll stick to my goal and at the very least learn how to skate even if I don't take to doing it regularly. I think to begin with i'm going to try to get to grips with technique, such as posture, balance etc. Probably won't take my skates outdoors until i can move around indoors. Idk. That's probably a bad idea right.

If anyone can answer: I push my trailing foot out to the side to generate momentum. Okay - Is this done at a 90° angle? Am i pushing out in a straight line adjacent to my shoulder, or do I angle this push slightly behind me? I tried watching a YouTube tutorial & this was not clearly specified. She appeared to push her foot out at a 90° angle but it's hard to tell.

You guys will think I'm a total fucking dork but I'll be practicing this movement until i get them. 

Hi Small,  this is what I do: to get started, move your legs as if you were about to run, but position your lagging foot at a somewhat 90 degree angle. This foot will provide impulse  just as if you were running, but instead of feet you now have wheels or blades. In order to keep from going jelly legs and falling, you need to position one set of the wheels or blades so that they provide maximum friction each time you want to add impulse, and the other will be positioned so that the wheels or blades glide smoothly. Alternate this motion until you get as fast as you want and then position both feet to glide. Maneuvering consists in similar but less drastic motions of the skates or blades as well as your body. Once you are moving fast you'll want to bend your knees like IrmaJean suggests because it lowers your center of gravity. When you're getting up to speed your body will want to do this anyway. Once you get comfortable and good at maintaining balance you can glide around totally straight without falling with minimum effort. To stop, gently do the opposite of step one by making your leading foot the "brake". This may not be how an Olympic figure skater does it but it's what I do.

So I've been on a diet for a while now, maybe 6 - 7 weeks. I'm getting very impatient for the final result. Belly fat is so stubborn. Like @Klingsormentioned in another thread, the results really ought to be more instant. It's bullshit how long it takes.

Admittedly the weight took me about 2 years to pile on. But still. It's disheartening to move it so sluggishly. I don't even know if I'll complete my weight loss transition or if I'll cop out before I'm done. I'd like to say it's different this time but I've always said that. 

I've been getting some help to overcome my mouth hunger problems. So far it does seem to have had an effect - my food craving seems to be in check, so now I have no excuses! I don't exercise, it's too much. I'm less than half way there I believe. If i manage to keep it up I should have shifted 2/3rds of the weight by the time I start skating. 

On 24/10/2015 at 6:35 PM, Small said:

I just got home from my parents house, placed my keys on the coffee table and am curled up on my brown sofa in front of my television as I write this. The rain is still drizzling from the dark clouds above, beating gently against my window to the far left. I can hear cars drive by outside, and between occasional sips of my sublimely concocted brew I tap away on the keypad of my phone to write this. Don't you just love the squishing sound tyres make against the wet road?

My flat is situated on the third floor of my building which houses 3 other flats. I have a lounge, kitchen, bathroom and one bedroom as well as a small storage room for supplies. It's cosy and borders grungy (not dirty) owing credit to the brown & orange decor. Despite looking eerily indistinguishable from the average found-footage horror flick, it's my safe haven. I prefer it over the plush detached properties I have to drive by to & from work.

Before I went to my parents house I went to the clinic for a treatment session, collecting an extra pouch to take to my local nurse to have it administered mid-week. I hate needles, and my arms are quickly looking like they were amputated from a life long drug addict and attached to my torso by a deranged German surgeon that was too squeamish to accurately enact his favourite film character from the human centipede.

There's something so comforting and intimate about a long bath isn't there? I'm about to take one soon, in a top secret manner that I discovered after a muay thai class when I was around 21. I add an extra curtain rail against the wall - side of the tub and use it to drape a curtain over the top, in conjunction with the one already in place on the open side. This creates a tent like effect that allows the water to stay warm for hours, as well as creating a sauna effect. I usually fill a pot of tea and take my phone to amuse myself which otherwise would see me falling asleep in a tub full of water soluble chemicals that are potent enough to wash the underbelly of a dozen oil streamers in the Pacific. God forbid....... Shush though, it's a secret. Does anyone else have something to suggest for me to try?

Two diary entries in one day, great. I've made the decision never to delete my entries on this thread, so I'm approaching the more meaningful things in my so called life in a manner befitting my comfort in the care to share world. Beware though, I'm boring & loserly.

You ever thought about writing a book? Your writing has my imagination going crazy. 

Your seriously talented brother. 

I know this post was years ago haha. I'm just looking through the whole website now instead of the sps section 

2 hours ago, Smallbeans said:

You ever thought about writing a book? Your writing has my imagination going crazy. 

Your seriously talented brother. 

I know this post was years ago haha. I'm just looking through the whole website now instead of the sps section 

Thanks but this is so embarrassing to read back! :Dunno:

13 hours ago, Smallbeans said:

Hows the diet going?   

It's going well so far thanks. I managed to visit an alternative medicine store to get help with my appetite issues before I got started. Basically I am normally always hungry :( Once I felt my appetite was under control I started my diet.

Since then, I have been eating less without having to feel hungry. That's important to me. I probably eat close to a half of my initial calorie consumption on a normal day while having maybe 2/3rds on a bad day. I'm losing the belly fat - it looks like I'm approximately half way there, give or take. 

Have you managed to start your diet? I think the most important thing is feeling comfortable/happy. If a diet is a part of that then great. If not, it's better to be a few pounds overweight and be happy than to be starving & miserable.