Mental Support Community

My mom won't stop touching me...

bsmb77

I am 38 and hate that my mom won't respect the fact that I don't like to be touched by her. Sometimes it's all I can do not to scream at her. We have had off and on discussions for years about giving me personal physical space, and I mean really, is it such a big deal??? She acts like it is the worst thing in the world, yet SHE KNOWS why I feel uncomfortable. It's her doing, NOT mine. She literally has no shame in touching my bra if it's showing, and that's waaaaay over my personal space line, because it's basically the top of my breast, touches my leg, just everything. I feel almost violated, and I'm not one who cares if other people get close to me, it's only her, and like I said, she knows why, even if she's in denial. How can I make her understand she is invading my personal space?! Because I have mentioned it many times, even in therapy WITH HER THERE and she still continues to do it. I really have to restrain myself sometimes to to lash out when she does it.

I never go to her place...3-4x a year, tops, but sometimes she comes here because she owns the place I live in, and sometimes I see her in public to get mail from her, etc.

I can tell her again and again I don't want to be touched, it doesn't help. If anything, I get taunted by her about it.

• 10 months later...

Did you try more emotional approach? Next time get close to your mom and ask her - do you love me? (I guess she does being your mother) and tell her - if you want to see me again then don't touch me anymore. And if she touches you you go away and turn your phone off. Let her think she lost you.... Hope this will help.