Mental Support Community

Wish I could die

lizziebear

I'm terrified right now because of the election. I'm at work and there's nothing happening so I just have to sit and deal with this and I'm just scared and tired. I'm a gay woman and I don't feel safe anymore and I wish I could just leave. I had already been having a hard time handling things and clearly the world hates me so why should I try!!!!!!

Welcome, lizziebear. I hear that you feel afraid. I share your concern. Right now, this information is new and some of us are feeling shocked and upset. Would it help to talk more about your feelings? We can be here for one another through this. I'm sorry you feel that the world hates you. :( I sure don’t hate you, lizzie. We're all unique individuals and I think that diversity can be a beautiful thing. Love to you.

Thank you for this, IrmaJean. I really needed the support. I just feel so scared and alone. I try to talk to my parents but they're equally afraid. So are all my friends. And since I've always been the one to comfort people, I haven't really had any comfort myself. And that's really hard in a time like this. I know everyone's in shock, but I'm in a state of really intense distress. I just want to die because nothing's been going right and now I don't know if it ever will.

Hello, lizziebear, welcome!

Why do you think everybody hates you? :( 

17 hours ago, lizziebear said:

so why should I try!

I can understand how the attitudes of others can make our life more difficult and even painful, but "trying" isn't linked to them; you try for yourself (and for those who matter to you), not for those who don't like you. What do you think?

Have you listened to the speeches of Barak Obama and Hilary Clinton today? I think it's good to hear such wise and pleasant words in these confusing times.

You may also try to listen to some academics who analyse the situation, for instance here: http://bloggingheads.tv

History shows us that we live, despite everything, in relatively good times; life has been much harder in most of the world in the past. I know it can get worse, but some of our achievements don't just totally vanish. Each of us has to focus on being a good person and do good for others.

Take care!

Edited by LaLa
removed some links to articles that could be annoying...

17 hours ago, lizziebear said:

clearly the world hates me

I hope when you'll calm down, you'll realize how untrue this view is. There have always been people who hated some other "groups" of people, because of their own unaddressed issues and yes, it can lead to horrible consequences :( .  But the risk of being a victim of this may be similar to other risks typical for most or all humans (accidents, illnesses, ...). Yet, you probably don't freak out every day "OMG; I'm probably going to have a car accident; it's statistically so probable!" So, it's the matter of attitude. You may see and hear mainly those who are hateful, partly because the media focus on them more than of those who are tolerant, and also because it catches your attention and evokes fear, so you always remember it when you encounter it. Do you remember similarly all the "normal" people? We are still the majority, even if the dangerous minority is louder.

(BTW; perhaps you can read about some other people (not just from the US) scared by the elections' results, for instance here:  http://www.mentalsupportcommunity.net/index.php?/topic/10358-im-terrified-for-my-life/#comment-126844 and

http://www.mentalsupportcommunity.net/index.php?/topic/10347-i-want-to-die)

7 hours ago, lizziebear said:

that actually helps a lot to hear that. I'm a little less scared now, and I think I just need to take some time to relax and trust that things will be okay

I'm so glad you're less scared and on your way to recover from the shock. Good luck!!!