Mental Support Community

A completely different topic

gone

Klingsor, it's good to see a post from you! I'm sorry you're depressed over the dinner. Years ago we had large family dinners with our parents, my kids and my sisters. I have five sisters, with them and their husbands we had 20 or so people in our dining room.

My table isn't an antique, but it is an honest, Amish built piece of furniture. The main table is 4 foot long. It telescopes out with 2 4 foot leaves until it is 12 feet total. Even then, we had to have a 'kids table' separate to get everyone seated.

I have a large chandelier that hangs in the center of the room. We were doing some work in Kentucky. In one room of this dusty place this chandelier was hanging. Dirt and cob webs was all you could see at first. It looked a bit odd to me, and then I realized it was an honest to God gas chandelier that hadn't been used in decades. I asked the owner if I could buy it. He didn't want to sell. I left him my card and told him if he ever wanted to get rid of it, or if he ever needed some quick cash let me know. About 6 months later he called and said they were knocking the building down, if I wanted that fixture I'd better be quick. He basically gave it to me at $100. I called in some favors and raced down with a couple of my guys. That sucker is heavy. We rescued it and I wired it and polished it up. It's probably 3 1/2 feet in diameter with lots of reflecting crystals.

We haven't had Thanksgiving like this in years. The sisters all have kids and now have their own, separate dinners and traditions. We'll have our kids (if they're not working), my wifes mom and my mom and dad maybe (if they didn't commit to be at one of my sisters houses).

We haven't had to use those table leaves for years.

If I'm going to make a meal, I don't cheat. Real hand mashed potatoes (I buy home churned butter from my Amish friends. It's a lump wrapped in wax paper) We home make dressing. I make whole cranberry-Cranberry sauce. We'll usually bake a 22 or 23 pound turkey.

(Buy one at a store. I've had wild turkey before. It's a mess. Scalding the feathers, plucking. The breasts are small, the legs and thighs...well all the meat is stringy and pretty tough. I'd eat it in a pinch, but store bought turkey is much better in my humble opinion.)

I'm still researching and expect to 'have a go' at making an honest, old English pudding for the holidays. I'm surprised at the lack of information. I guess I shouldn't be, it was years and years ago. Unfortunately Dickens didn't make any notes on just what kind of pudding this was or what Mrs. Crachets recipe was.

John your posts are such a pleasure to read! Lovely stuff :)

Compared to you, Res, Klingsor, Irma, Victim......not really. I can tell all of y'all think about your posts and responses. I think all of you are word smiths in your own way. I just kinda ramble and tell whatevers on my mind at any given point. It can get pretty disconnected sometimes. (yeah, we've had large meals......which leads to our big table. Hmmm, gee that large chandelier hangs over the table.......Hmmm, how'd I come to get that chandelier? This could have led to me telling about the safe we had to remove at the building we were at, or how the folks that were salvaging the hardwood in the building wanted that fixture....the owner told them it was already spoken for. I guess they were kinda upset. This leads into the story about the other chandelier that's in the entrance way.....I need to know when enough is enough, when folks are leaving from sheer boredom.

Really, I should re-read this response and delete it too......

We were never wild about turkey either. My grandfather has hunted them before and we've cleaned and cooked them, but usually we just have a ham and chicken dressing. My grandmother has made the homemade cranberry sauce before, but it is the one thing that she has made that I don't like and it's the one food that I personally like the processed can sauce much better than homemade!

Yeah, I've got a couple family members that far prefer the canned, jellied cranberry sauce over the whole berry sauce. That's fine, it takes little to open a can and serve it up. I like turkey or chicken ok. I'll eat a little beef, usually hamburger in one dish or another. I don't care for pork unless it's bacon (who doesn't love bacon?) I guess if I had my way about it I'd cook some hot dogs on the grill and enjoy them!

yes, very delightful, john. specially this part:

though a bit insensitive, and sexist. :D

Gawd, I guess I owe two official apologies now. ;)

My daughter is vegan so last year we had a vegan Thanksgiving. Maybe this year we can have both.

That's weird, I have a vegetarian daughter too. My daughter went vegetarian two years ago. She still eats eggs and dairy products but she won't touch meat at all.

vegan won't fly with men. men need meat. ^_^

Gotta agree. :D

Sorry, I meant sometimes I'll write a long, rambling post and then delete it before I post it. I really try to not delete something after it's up and has been read.

Don't want to spar with you brother, I'll get my ass kicked.

(BTW, I like your signature line....)

John, I remember in one of your earlier posts in the SPS forum way back when I first joined where you mentioned a new custom hardwood door you were installing on your house. How did that turn out? I'd be interested in anything you'd like to discuss about your house and remodeling. I used to do a lot of that kind of work. It's always been my goal to build my own home one day and I intend to do most of foundation forming, framing, and roughing in myself. I want to frame it using steel. I've even got a drawing of the design that I periodically play around with.

I'm also hoping one day to fix up an old semi-antique tractor and perhaps start a small collection if I ever have the money and time to do it.

Anyway, I enjoy reading your "Hometime" posts.

I think this might have been when I was talking about my front doors? They're two doors that aren't any sort of standard size. I restored them and installed solid brass handles and oversized hinges. They're solid wood, no lights (windows) at all. I never sand if I can possibly help it. I use Fornbys refinishing products if I can, I have mixed my own finish stripper if I'm going to use a lot. The doors are hinged on the outside and meet in the middle when closed.

I'd kinda wondered in the past if I was wearing people out talking about the house. That's when we were going through a real rough time in our marriage. While I was writing about my relationship, I'd rattle on about the house. It was a real help with me clearing my head a little and getting my life back in order some.

I actually bought the house before I met my wife. I didn't give a whole lot for it, but it needed a lot of work. One of the first things I had done that I didn't do personally was had the outside media blasted.

The house had been painted a couple times. The paint was peeling and looked awful. The red brick underneath looked to be in good shape. I knew if I had it sand or walnut shell blasted I'd have an awful mess to deal with. I talked to a company that blasted with dry ice. One still has to deal with the paint chips, but the dry ice evaporates. You don't have hundreds of pounds of media to clean up. When that was done I pointed the mortar myself, used a popsicle stick to make the joints look nice.

One of the other things I didn't personally do but had done was reline the chimneys and fireplaces. I did do the acid washing on the red brick on the inside and outside of the house.

I've added a small room onto my house, but I've never built a whole house before.

I've talked a little about being a gearhead when I was younger. I've owned old cars, but I've never completely rebuilt an old tractor. I do know a couple guys who are into old tractors and have rebuilt them. I believe they're old antique John Deere two cylinders. If I remember correctly they're horizontally opposed engines like a Volkswagen or BMW motorcycle? I'm racking my brain but I can't remember for sure.

I hope you get a chance to do your projects and complete them So many times I've seen guys start on a project or restoration and then burn out and just give up on them. I get the feeling you wouldn't be that type though.

B)

oh how i used to fantasize about building my own house/mansion lol. by "building" i mean designing and supervising, not actually doing any of the labor. maybe i would've hired you and john for the labor work. ^_^

Just bring lot$ of money$$$$. Talent like Klingsor and I don't work cheap. B)