Mental Support Community

Surgery complications

IrmaJean

I don't want to take over anyone's thread so I will start my own. Thanks, Victim, for your well-wishes. I had an abdominal hysterectomy on 10/29 for a very large fibroid and suffered some complications. Post-operative infection and abscess, had to have a drain put in to remove the fluid (excruciatingly painful, I may have nightmares about that tube being pulled out), IV antibiotics, was back in the hospital for 3 days but I am finally home now, though still weak. I have been whining about this regularly in my blog. :/

A few nights ago, I needed two nurses to hold me up, pull up and down my pants while my gown was hanging off, trying to use the bathroom...an all time low, I think. During this time, I entertained the thought that I could die. I will tell you, it puts a whole lot into perspective. We're all vulnerable beings for sure.

Oh and my ovaries don't work right now even though they were left in...

I think that's an accurate summary. :/

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. This surgery is bad enough without the complications you're having to endure. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Please continue to tell us how you are doing, and know we're here to listen anytime you need a friendly ear.

They have been doing hysterectomies in this country since the 1950s or thereabouts. How on earth does someone get a post operative infection in 2015? My mother had post surgical complications from a hysterectomy in the 1970s. Not good.

Well hopefully it is behind you now Beth (good grief!) and a splendid holiday season awaits. You deserve it!

You have been consistently nice, kind, and supportive to us numb skulls for years now so God Bless.

Thank you all so very much. Your kindness and support means a lot. :)

I got the infection when blood didn't drain properly after the initial surgery and instead pooled in my abdomen. Apparently this leaves a breeding ground for an abscess and infection. I'm not angry...I could tell how concerned my doctors were. It's just one of those things that can happen and did happen. The infection was much worse than the surgery, though. I felt so awful. The experience itself has been frightening.

Normal recovery time for this type of hysterectomy is 6-8 weeks. The infection may have set me back some. Feel free to ask questions, if you'd like. I can answer to the best of my understanding.

New perspective. Well, I think this makes me more grateful for my health, for everything... It is yet another sign of how fragile life can be. So I intend to make the most of each day and breathe in the moments.

Thanks everyone. :-) Namaste.

Thank you for thinking of me, John. It means so much to me.

I was having a difficult time feeling any strength after returning home from the hospital. I found out yesterday at my recheck appointment that I have been anemic from the blood loss, which explains a lot of my symptoms. That on top of the infection and no wonder why I felt so awful. I am on iron now and I think my body has begun to replenish because for the first time since the surgery, I am able to stand for several minutes without feeling breathless and weak. Now I have an upper respiratory infection, which doesn't help, but I am slowly recovering. It has been a difficult journey. My doctor wants me out of work until the end of December to rest and heal.

I'm taking one day at a time right now, but I seem to be moving in a positive direction finally.

I appreciate everyone's support. Thank you.

Good.....knowing what's wrong is the first step in curing it. I'm glad they're addressing your problems. I'm also glad you're starting to feel just a bit better. It'll take a while, but at least you're on the mend. I hope you're getting help and support at home.

• 1 month later...