Mental Support Community

Cell phones and friendship

Victimorthecrime

This is a serious question so sincere relies only please.  

A few years back an old college friend found me on FB and said he would be in town and would like to get together. I readily agreed and looked forward to meeting up w him. I even made a list of interesting conversation topics: memories, new events, opinions, etc.  Here is what went wrong: about every 5-10 minutes his phone rang or was texted by family and friends. It ruined what otherwise should have been a pleasant reunion. 

Fast forward to last week. Another old friend finds me on FB and wants to get together this summer.  I told him yes but am thinking of texting him and stating (in so many words) that I have a no cell phone policy as a condition of meeting. 

What do you think? Good idea or bad? How would you feel if you were the friend? 

I switch off my niece's phone when we hang out. She uses snap chat, whatsapp & all that fun stuff which proves to be quite the distraction. I let her have it from time to time when I'm using my own for work related stuff. But yeah I feel you. It's disrespectful to be absorbed in your phone when a person is giving you their undivided time.

2 hours ago, Small said:

I switch off my niece's phone when we hang out. She uses snap chat, whatsapp & all that fun stuff which proves to be quite the distraction. I let her have it from time to time when I'm using my own for work related stuff.

i didn't think you had it in you lol. i'm impressed.

2 hours ago, Small said:

It's disrespectful to be absorbed in your phone when a person is giving you their undivided time.

very true.

Yeah it can be. I don't have it but as far as I'm aware users need to add & accept friend requests to access each other's pictures. Kik is a hotspot for sending explicit pics but because whatsapp contacts are the people in a user's phonebook there's a little less of the hanky panky. They're all as bad as each other distraction-wise. A part of my home made antidote for schizophrenia, I had to wean myself off social media.

• 2 years later...

Cell phones or mobile phones ruin everything. Here in the UK a few places have a no phone policy

Library has area for phones but not in the computer section or in the book section. The Vue cinema also a no phone policy while the film is shown. If you go on a course just like a classroom phones have to be switched off.

1 hour ago, Daveuk said:

Here in the UK a few places have a no phone policy

Good.  

I believe there would be riots here in the USA 🇺🇸 if there was an enforced cell-phone ban anywhere.  

At least half the people drive while on the phone.

People are on the phone at work, in stores, everywhere. 

People go to concerts just to film not to enjoy.  

It is a full scale raging addiction.  I really wonder what the consequences are going to be to young people who have grown up never having had a cell phone free moment in their lives.  

Last week during a moment of strength I dunked the fucking thing. I'd been tempted to do it a few times, but this time I seemed to be watching the same depressing divisive content on YouTube and it felt physically addictive. I was already feeling low so I just dunked the thing. I'm sat there holding my phone under the water waiting for light to go out in its eyes and it just kept playing. After a few minutes, I took it out, dried it off and nothing happened. I told my gf what I'd done and she said that it's fucking waterproof. She has the latest model and that's not and I know the older version of mine isn't because I broke that in the washing machine, but mine doesn't bat an eye. On the plus side I've started putting it right next to me when I'm in the shower so I can listen to whatever clearly. 

23 minutes ago, Victimorthecrime said:

LOL!  

Even if you take a hammer 🔨 to the information stays in the cloud ☁️ 

Careful you're not on "Facebook Live" when you are in that shower 🚿 😜

Facebook is changing. But there are a lot of fakes on there. 

Haha, I don't have Facebook thankfully. It's not so much the storage of information or taking SPH to a whole new LIVE level, it's the instant availablity of shitty content that seems to appeal to me, especially when I'm at a low ebb. Anything anti-SJW and I'll watch it. But it slowly turns you bitter. I still feel like smashing the fucking thing with a hammer lol.