Mental Support Community

Liking Music over Time

Biollante123

12 minutes ago, Resolute said:

@Biollante123, don't take this the wrong way, but it doesn't help you or anyone else, for you to keep starting separate topics every time something pops into your head. i know you have schizoaffective disorder, so if you must post random things, please do it in the same thread.

thanks, bio. take care.

I apologize for doing that.  Sorry.

Biollante, I think it's great that you want to find some interests and you are putting energy into seeking them out. Passions can be wonderful. :-)

For me, with music, there are certain genres of music that I'm naturally drawn to. I don't often like a song right away, but I can tell that it has potential. So I will listen again and again and again...and it clicks with me or it doesn't. (Or if it's a Josh Groban song it's automatic. :P With him, it's the sound of his voice that I enjoy so much, so I like all of his songs.) I'm not sure if it works the same for others, though. Do you find certain types of music resonate more with you than others? 

Are you listening to German songs, trying to spark an interest in the language? Do you have a friend listening with you? That could be fun for you.

Take care, Biollante. I hope you enjoy the weekend.

• 2 months later...
On Friday, April 01, 2016 at 10:28 PM, Resolute said:

@Biollante123, don't take this the wrong way, but it doesn't help you or anyone else, for you to keep starting separate topics every time something pops into your head. i know you have schizoaffective disorder, so if you must post random things, please do it in the same thread.

thanks, bio. take care.

This made me laugh. You have a point :D

• 3 weeks later...

Soooooo, getting back to music

(and race, because i'm an American and because Black Lives Matter):

I spent last weekend in Nashville.  I saw a jazz trio there (and they were very good), but otherwise i found the lack of racial diversity (in the country music scene in the rest of downtown) very disturbing.   The musicians were white, the audiences were white, the servers and bartenders were white.  White white white white.  In the 70's i wouldn't've guessed that Charlie Pride was the last African-American country musician.

It wasn't always this way: up until the '60s, the boundaries between the different genres of music were extremely permeable.  Ray Charles and Nat King Cole had hits on the country chart.  Elvis sang blues.  Charlie Parker played country songs on the juke box whenever he was in a bar.  Bessie Smith sang Broadway show tunes.  Driving home from Nashville, i heard an old archive recording of Huddie Ledbetter (a/k/a Lead Belly) singing Goodnight Irene, a country song.  And it wasn't like he was singing a country song but doing it as blues.  No, really; he sang it in classic country style and played his guitar in country style; and did a hell of a great job of it, too.  How shameful -- that the era in which my nation had segregated schools and lunchrooms was the era when music was LEAST segregated.

What happened?

My theory is, it's the fault of rock and rap.  They both decided that "Authenticity" was somehow as important, or maybe more important, than the music itself.  Rock wasn't content to just be Rock, no; there had to be an emphatic antithesis: "we are SURE AS HELL NOT COUNTRY."  "We are Sophisticated Urban Dudes, not those Uncool Dorks From Rural America."  The performers and recording industry people decided that it would be emblematic of their own greatness to erect a border wall between different genres.  At its core, this was sheer snobbery.   And rap, having been born in New York (the epicenter of snobbery in the USA), kept the same emphatic-antithesis mindset: "you do country, you doin' White Music."  Only LL Cool J could've gotten away with recording "Accidental Racist" with Brad Paisley; anyone else's Blackness Certificate would've been revoked (well, OK, maybe not Suge Knight). 

My people have a really bad problem: it's never enough to be Me or Us; we insist on declaring that we're definitely Not You or Not Them.  I can't help but think that it becomes a lot easier to shoot a black man (or, for that matter, get into an unnecessary confrontation with the police) when your sense of your own identity is so heavily dependent on Not Being someone.

• 3 months later...