Mental Support Community

Motivation buddy?

Carolel

My life is a complete mess right now – I do have a job, a roof over my head. The rest: social life, love life inexistent and meeting goals at work, really hard. The will is there somewhere, but getting out of bed or the house is hard when I don’t have to do it, and I indulge in a lot of TV-binging to numb it all.

After lots soul searching, I am thinking that I could go for a buddy strategy, because the social part of  my life to put things in perspective is what I really miss. I am looking for someone or a community to help me build my motivation and be accountable for the goals I set for myself especially for work and possibly in life. And to cheer me up when down. :) Do you know where I can get that?

Thank you for the welcoming words, IrmaJean. :) 

I tried to see what my work has to offer at that level, but nothing touching psychological support, it is mostly  about the physical, colleagues relationships and place of work. I started to look into group therapy, and I think it could be a great help, many issues to look into. Thank you for the suggestion.:) 

While I was looking for groups, I read that the waiting time to get into groups where I live is of about 6 weeks at the best. And I think that time is of the essence. So that would be great if this community could provide support. It would be really helpful to know that someone is expecting something from me on a regular basis, if I am following my plan, and that I will have a feedback. A presence while I shape something out of this situation...

Hey Carolel I wish you well on your job and your quest. Have you considered a "coach" of some sort?  I don't know anything about it but I hear there are career coach and life coach people out there. If that idea sucks then maybe some sort of industry network for your field.  I know I have seen various sorts of communities on Facebook related to success, career, achievement, etc..

Looking for a motivation buddy here is like looking for investment advice in a homeless shelter.  Just my opinion. 

Thank you for taking the time to answer, Victimorthecrime.

Life/career coach was the first thing I looked into, but I wondered how to know who is legit and who is not, whether I could afford a good one. I stopped there. So if anyone has tips about this particular point, it would be much appreciated.

I also looked into FB groups, but it just doesn't fit my need (human contact to fight isolation, whip and carrot so to speak, and calming down high anxiety levels that are paralyzing).

I get your point though. However, this forum was the only place I found to express a tiny bit of my struggles and ask for help. :)

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 8:17 AM, Victimorthecrime said:

Looking for a motivation buddy here is like looking for investment advice in a homeless shelter.  Just my opinion. 

Gawd Victim..I know this isn't a funny subject but I just had to laugh.

12 hours ago, Victimorthecrime said:

I ran across this article & thought it was apropos:

http://upliftconnect.com/to-anyone-falling-behind-in-life/

I saw it as well, and yes, i found it very à propos, and started to ponder the risk of becoming too complaisant (this is the nature of the beast to play the devil's advocate). :)

IrmaJean, not yet. But moving a bit forward because of deadlines. :tiny-smileys-yesemoticons-029:

Yes Carolel that occurred to me too, the risk of becoming too complaisant based on the articles viewpoint.  This brings me to something that is a key point in my mind and that is the problem w advice is that different people need to hear different messages in order to get motivated.  For example someone who is slothful needs different advice than someone who is a workaholic over achiever.  

What kinds of things are you looking to get motivated about?  What is it that you want to address?