Mental Support Community

Should I speak to my therapist about my penis insecurity?

emed27

I've posted on here before quite some time ago, but this time i would like some advice.

So long story short, My penis is what u would call "below average" Yes, laugh all u want, but it's true and it's really REALLY been taking a toll on my mental state this past year or so. I've literly been walking around with severe anxiety and depression, even on the verge of a panic attack sometimes. The fact that I have a "small penis" has been hitting me like a ton of bricks. To be specific, I'm slightly over 4 and a half inches and maybe like a centimeter under 5. Probably 5 on a really good day. And Iam 4 and a half around. And when completley flaccid Iam a little under 2". Sorry for the visual. I'm considering maybe talking about it with my therapist who I see every week , but Iam just so embarrassed about the thought of it. Maybe because he's young and gay like myself. I mean, Iam definetly not attracted to him or anything, I just.... Idk. I feel like it would be REALLY awkward and emberassing. Iam not even sure if it would make me feel better. I already speak to him about other personal problems regarding my sexual function , but this is a little different and emberassing. Iam 23 and have never had sexual contact due to the embarrassment of my member and Iam staring to think I never will. What do you Guys think?

Nobody is laughing at you in here, it'd be pot and kettle if we were. And the measurements are less for a visual of your cock and more so people know what you're dealing with (micro penis or otherwise) which helps when giving advice. Yeh, it's tricky. I'd say tell the guy but I'm very well aware of the embarrassment and shame that goes with confiding in anyone, never mind another guy. But if you trust him and he's never given you any reason to think he's anything less than a professional therapist, then telling him might be a piece of the puzzle he's been looking for. It's tricky for me to say as I've never had a therapist before, but it seems like a waste of your money if you hold anything back. Maybe have a bit of a meditate before your next session and just get yourself in a calm and rational state of mind. Good luck with it all and happy holidays ?☮?

• 4 weeks later...

I happen to have a mature woman as a therapist for other mood issues.

I desperately feel the need to dicuss my acurately small penis size along with really small balls.

This may be the very core of many of my issues.

But every time I start to say this, I freeze up, in fear.

I don't know how to get past this freeze.

7 hours ago, LouisZ said:

I desperately feel the need to dicuss my acurately small penis size along with really small balls.

Perhaps you can write it and give her the paper.

On 29/12/2016 at 8:55 AM, LouisZ said:

Yup, I know that feeling. Like being frozen from the inside out whilst getting hotter and hotter. The only thing I can suggest is to change therapist, but it can even more difficult to talk to a male. If I was you, I'd let her know you have something to tell her, then tell her you have issues with your penis size in general in an off hand way. Then once you've opened the bag and gaged her response, explain how deeply it affects you and go one small step at a time. One piece of the jigsaw at a time until she gets the picture. Good luck, brother ☮

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/01/2017 at 4:20 PM, Griz said:

I have gone to a sex therapist a couple times to talk about the image I have of my cock. Mainly my bulge. She was professional and was really nice about my issue. I'd say give it a try. 

Share some tips if you have them, I'd really appreciate your input. ☮

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna go with yes on this one. How can you get proper therapy if he doesn't know the issues you're facing? That's what he's there for. Don't waste your time and money. And it's not as if you have to face him in social situations afterward. It's all about getting it jn the open and dealing with it (in a way the rest of this society is entirely incapable of).

Oh, and when I told my therapist, he told me he looked into enlargement treatments himself. Soooo relieving to hear that. And we are both bi.

On 12/29/2016 at 0:55 AM, LouisZ said:

I told my male therapist, but i would NOT be able to discuss my size with a female therapist. Too triggering. Much of the reason i have a male therapist.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2017 at 4:19 PM, Lodz said:

I told my male therapist, but i would NOT be able to discuss my size with a female therapist. Too triggering. Much of the reason i have a male therapist.

See, I'm the exact opposite. It's been a long while since I've pretty much given up on ever being normal, but I've seen therapists in the past. Male and female. I could definitely be more upfront with the female. Now this was yeas apart so maybe I was more open to talk about my issues when i saw the female therapist...but i have a hard time admitting weaknesses to other men. Now if it were just some chick i met in a bar, it would be different. But in a professional environment it didn't bother me at all to talk about my size. It turned the therapist was a lesbian (which came up when i discussed my bisexuality) so she really couldn't relate. I found out a little later her practice was mostly for other lesbians, though she didn't advertise that. I quit going 'cause I wasn't getting enough out of it. Sometimes I think about going back to therapy, but I realize I'm just looking for someone to listen to me. In other words, I'd be paying someone just to listen to me talk about my shit. I don't expect anything to ever really change. 

• 1 month later...
On 2017-01-20 at 0:05 PM, YahwehOrTheHighway said:

Share some tips if you have them, I'd really appreciate your input. ☮

Terribly sorry I haven't been on since that one time I posted this. As for tips, I don't know if I really have any. A lot of it is mental, I have a perfectly fine size of penis, I just have to get that into my head. But talking about it with my therapist is probably the biggest tip to give if I would consider it one. Being able to talk about it safely with no judgement is the best. I've even found a friend I can confide in as well. A female even lol. I don't think you'd have to do that per say, but I've found it helpful since a therapist costs so much. 

With my therapist I've found that things have come up from when I was younger, and to do with my failed marriage. Once you find the root of the problem, which it's mainly mental, then you can work towards a fix to the problem. 

To paraphrase jackbolin from a couple of posts back, it can help to have someone to listen to you talk about your shit if in the process, you find better ways to shovel.

That doesn't have to mean that the SPS is all in your head;  your size will still be your size.  But we've all got shit, and if it's getting in the way, it can help to talk to someone about it.  Even if you have to pay them.