Mental Support Community

Life Goals [Trigger Warning]

Klingsor

I'll share. :-)

My dream was to have a family. For a time, I wanted to become a veterinarian and I always have wanted to help people, but back then I never knew in what way. Also, I didn't have the confidence back then to truly consider all of the possibilities. It wasn't until I was in my late 30's that I realized that I wanted to become a therapist. It wasn't until my late 30's that I believed I was capable.

I'm content and serene with where I am now, though I do have a desire to take more action to help create a kinder world. Family and friendships have always been what gives my life meaning. Regrets? I wish I hadn't wasted so much time being afraid to connect with others. I wish I had engaged more and been freely and openly myself at a much earlier age. I wish I had been healthier emotionally when I became a mother. Though I do have an awareness of these regrets, I try--not always successfully-- to focus on the now and what direction I want to go in today and tomorrow. 

8 hours ago, Pax said:

when you were young enough to still think you had unlimited time to accomplish all the things you wanted to do?

I never had such an illusion. I was just waiting for a very soon death - by accident, by illness, in a war, ... I never imagined I could have any "future".

Well, OK; when I was a little child, then... I have to admit I didn't yet have such "dark expectations"; I wanted to be a teacher; first in a pre-school, then in a school. Ha. Funny that in the end of my unfinished PhD., I also thought that I could try teaching - this time at high school. But it never has become an option.

Sorry. I apparently just felt a need to write something "gloomy" :( 

Another question I thought of in response to the original posted question would be: What would we like our lives to look like in 5 years and what steps can we take now to meet our goals and aspirations? It's never too late, in my opinion, to reach for what we want in life. I could still become a therapist, for instance, at age 60 or 70 even. I hope past disappointments won't cause any of us to give up on our dreams.

• 2 weeks later...

As a kid, I wanted to be able to fly real bad. I'd stand in my garden for what felt like hours, point my fist up towards the sky, and jump with all my might. I just knew that with one of these jumps I'd take off, but I never did. When I was old enough to realise it was futile, I always did and still do, want to ride in a hot air balloon. I really would love to do this. 

Job wise - I wanted to become a figure skater. It didn't take too long to realise I was hopeless at this sort of thing, so I wanted to join a choir and become a singer but I couldn't sing either. When I imagined myself as a grown man, there was always a long red car, a spacious white house, and a pretty wife. I have none of the aforementioned. 

It's safe to say that I haven't reached a single goal I had. I watched a film a few years back where a grown man (Bruce Willis) meets and spends time with his younger self. The kid was SO disappointed in what he'd turned out to be. I can say with my hand on my heart, that if I met my younger self I wouldn't be able to look him in the eye. I have categorically failed him just as life has failed me. I actually feel sorry for him, knowing that a child would be subjected to the life I've lived and continue to live. 

It would be nice to do a few things for him. I write in a journal and have been doing so for 5 years or so. Every entry I write is addressed to the future me, written in a conversational format. I talk in depth about my struggles, my dreams, my views and even the little things I might have done recently. I would really love to fulfil his wishes. I aspire to. But I'll probably fail him too

3 hours ago, Small said:

Job wise - I wanted to become a figure skater. It didn't take too long to realise I was hopeless at this sort of thing, so I wanted to join a choir and become a singer but I couldn't sing either.

Yes, I am not good at skating, but I love watching the winter Olympics skating. Also I love music, but I never really considered it as a career, though I would have liked to write songs.

I thought as a child about becoming an astronomer or, to get down to earth, :P work for a travel company. The first full time job I had was in travel and I don't regret that at all - because of that I travelled around Europe and have some fond memories.

2 hours ago, jazz said:

Yes, I am not good at skating, but I love watching the winter Olympics skating. Also I love music, but I never really considered it as a career, though I would have liked to write songs.

I thought as a child about becoming an astronomer or, to get down to earth, :P work for a travel company. The first full time job I had was in travel and I don't regret that at all - because of that I travelled around Europe and have some fond memories.

I've wrote a few songs I'd love to have them played by a band.

7 hours ago, Small said:

When I imagined myself as a grown man, there was always a long red car, a spacious white house, and a pretty wife. I have none of the aforementioned. 

You're a grown man.  But as David  Byrne asked "Where is my beautiful wife?" "Where is my large automobile?".  You have a lot of years ahead of you Small. Your hard work will yield good things.  

3 hours ago, jazz said:

Also I love music, but I never really considered it as a career, though I would have liked to write songs.

What kind of music do you like Jazz? Any particular artists?  

I love music, all music really.  I love the Grateful Dead, Phish, and just about every classic rock band. Lately I been listening to a lot of pop songs from the 80s on back.  You tube makes it easy.  I have satellite radio in the car and really enjoy that.  

Any George Michael fans here?  I love that song "Freedom".  

My dad was a drummer back in the day and my cousin played bass for Lenny Kravitz for a while. I tried to play the clarinet in school band. Emphasizing the word tried...:p 

Sad about George Michael. It's always shocking when someone so young dies, especially when you're close to the same age... I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I enjoyed some of his songs. Careless Whisper comes to mind.

Yes, I liked his duet with Aretha Franklin. 'Last Christmas' plays over and over on the radio at this time of year as well.

I like all kinds of music, but quite mainstream I guess. The last 3 bands I saw in concert were Katy Perry (a real spectacle, very colourful), Maroon 5 and The Shires, a newish band a bit like a UK version of Lady Antebellum.

• 5 months later...

I always wanted to win the lottery. Not like all you casuals who'd spend it on hookers, houses and pile of coke that had its own mountain goats. But have a plan in place for what I'd actually do. Apart from a month holiday on some pristine beach in Micronesia to truly unwind the last 25 years, I'd buy a villa in Portugal. It'd be a retreat. I'd hold regular holidays all year round where people from all over the world could come together to find a slice of heaven. I'd pay for all the plane tickets in and there'd be private rooms for all guests free of charge. Private pools, private saunas, and a free bar. A true haven for everyone who struggles with life, something to look forward to every year. Id hire an a-sexual masseur who could massage the knots out of boat ropes. Just a dream.