Mental Support Community

One of my brothers is 21 years old. He was diagnosed with autism, ADHD, and OCD when he was a young kid. Since he was around 16-ish years old, he's told us that he hears voices that talk to him and have conversations. He is dead-set in his belief that there are "multiple universes or realities". His stutter is very, very bad; it seems like it worsens as he ages. Often when I'm conversing with him, his sentences get all stutter-y and disorganized to the point where he says he forgets what he was going to say. He has to have a nightlight on at night when he sleeping or otherwise he says that "murderous" creatures are going to kill him. He gets very very very upset when we try to reason with him about his beliefs in multiple universes and monsters out to get him at night. He's like a brick wall about it, honestly. Through one ear and out the other. This has been going on for many years and it's so horribly worrying, especially because I won't be at home with him hardly ever once I start college in August. He doesn't remember our cousins, aunts, or uncles until he sees them again and he says things like "How could I forget her/him?!" but days laters, he's forgotten who they are all over again. He's completely socially inept.

A couple of weeks ago I saw an article describing the symptoms of schizophrenia and now I'm afraid that he might have or is developing schizophrenia. I'm aware of his behaviors that are from his OCD, ADHD, and autism. I can recognize them most of the time. If anyone here has been diagnosed with schizophrenia or is close to someone suffering some schizophrenia, could you please give me some of your thoughts/opinions? I'm worried, but am I overreacting? Am I just confusing some of his autistic behaviors for schizophrenia symptoms?

Hi justanotherperson. I've had psychosis episodes and just wanted to say that there is quite a spectrum of symptoms - hallucinations/delusions, sometimes voices, poor self care etc. but hearing voices or having a fixed belief in 'multiple universes' does not necessarily indicate schizophrenia. Research has shown that hearing voices is more common than may be supposed among the general populace.

So much depends on the level of distress caused to the individual, but there are groups that can provide support through networks like Intervoice;

http://www.intervoiceonline.org/about-intervoice/national-networks-2

My advice is probably what you are already doing - listen as much as possible to your brother and what he wants to do. If you have other brothers are they able to support him as well?