Mental Support Community

What Music Do You Listen To?

LovingTheAlien

On 5/25/2017 at 4:26 PM, LovingTheAlien said:

So, what music do you all listen to? 

I love classic rock

•Pink Floyd •Led Zeppelin •Black Sabbath •Deep Purple •The Doors •The Who •The Kinks •Spice Girls

What about you lot?

Wow, you opened Pandora's box for me...

I had a college radio show, graveyard shift, 11pm to 1am for two years, called Rush the Pink Zeppelin, featuring my three on my favorite bands at the time.  Small college, small broadcast wattage, but still covered the greater New Haven, Connecticut area.  I got a lot of requests from Yale students, which was nice, as we were the lesser known, lesser prestigious school in the area.  I was glad to be able to play and talk about Rush, Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin and research little known truths and stories of those great bands.  Other than that, Greatful Dead was a band I followed high school and college from 1990 until Jerry's death in the summer of 1995. (Actually have a ticket for an Albany, NY September 1995 show that was never ripped, third row, waited in a tent overnight for it). Huge Phish fan, seen over 30 shows, saved all the stubs, NYE shows at Madison Square Garden were the total trip. But, life set in, med school, wife, kids, and now my 14 year old daughter morns the loss of Juice WRLD a few days ago. What? Who? 

2 hours ago, Toosmallforcomfort said:

And now my 14 year old daughter morns the loss of Juice WRLD a few days ago. What? Who? 

I'm not aware of his work, but the poor sod dropped dead from a seizure or something at an airport. Not exactly on par with Biggy and Pac

1 hour ago, YOTH said:

I love heavy metal, well, I love groove metal. Pantera, Sepultura, Metallica (early) I don't like any of the progressive shite that was churned out after 03. 90's groove was the shit. I'm also partial to a bit of 80's thrash. My music tastes are quite eclectic if I'm honest, but metal is my wheelhouse. 

Seen Pantera live at the Roseland Ballroom in NYC in 1994.  You may have heard of White Zombie (big in the US around that time), Rob Zombie's group out of Massachusetts.  They played at my college and my friend's band opened up one time for them at Toad's Place in New Haven, Connecticut. I kinda liked Motorhead, too.

On 12/10/2019 at 10:34 PM, Toosmallforcomfort said:

Seen Pantera live at the Roseland Ballroom in NYC in 1994.  You may have heard of White Zombie (big in the US around that time), Rob Zombie's group out of Massachusetts.  They played at my college and my friend's band opened up one time for them at Toad's Place in New Haven, Connecticut. I kinda liked Motorhead, too.

I'm legitimately jealous, what an awesome gig that would have been. I love Rob Zombie, especially the two Hellbilly's. I like White Zombie as well, even my missus will listen them, which is saying something as she hates metal. Not much new stuff I like, but I thought this was the best song I'd heard for a while, not too keen on the rest of their stuff but this is a banger https://youtu.be/nGl-RT7KX7g

I spent a few weeks scrolling through the metal section of Amazon music and did find a few, but there weren't too many that interested me. I don't listen to much new stuff apart from Cavalera Conspiracy, but that's just Sepultura in a different skin, first 2 albums were great, but they got rid of the grooves after that. Saying that Machine Messiah was good, first Sepultura album I've really enjoyed listening to since Derek Green. I do occasionally go searching but my tastes are quite specific. I loikes what I loikes

I like early machine head, they went a bit crap after the first 4ish albums. Never thought I'd go off a metal band, but I struggle to listen to Coal Chamber now lol, some really good songs, but they feel unbelievably 'teen' these days. Devil Driver are good tho. Do you remember Face Down? I heard a band I thought were pretty good a few months back called Pro Pain, they're like a knock off bargain basement Pantera 😂

I'm the same, I tried a few times but it didn't take. I never got into Korn or Slipknot either, can't bear that singy melody shit they do. Fear Factory were the only ones who did that who I liked, but they were so fucking heavy, kind of made up for it. Same reason I don't like 5 finger death punch. Around 2000 these metal bands with lame melody bridges popped up and they never went away, unfortunately they've now become the norm. Korn were the first band I ever heard doing it as standard. I sound like an old loon yelling at squirrels

• 3 months later...

@Victimorthecrime

One was Otis Redding and the other CCR.

@IrmaJean

To me the words/lyrics are just a vehicle for expression of the artist's voice. I don't really pay attention to the words other than as sounds. However, some older folk songs or ballads leave a lasting impression if, as Victim said, they are particularly poetic.

Hope everyone is ok. It's strange how music or certain songs can have such a powerful effect of nostalgia...the same music can take different people to drastically different locations in time and space through individual, personal connections that may not have any direct bearing on the music or artists.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...