Mental Support Community

(UK) Attitude Magazine correspondent: looking to do article empowering queer men with micropenises

Attitude Magazine

Hello!

I'm a writer for Attitude magazine, the UK's leading gay lifestyle title, and am posting here as we’re looking to speak to a gay/queer man who’s proud to have a micropenis for a feature in an upcoming issue. It’s to go in our Real Life slot, which looks to share real stories from people covering a range of issues faced by our readers.

We’re looking to speak to someone in the UK who has perhaps gone on a journey from feeling embarrassed or ashamed, to embracing and accepting their micropenis. It’s important to note that we’re looking to present a positive look at the issue – not one that’s negative or derogatory.

The piece would be written in the first person, based on answers given either by email, over the phone or possibly face to face. We would ideally want to photograph the interviewee for the article as well – though we are happy to discuss this aspect with you.

If you, or anyone you know, is interested in such an opportunity and fits the above categories, please send a PM to our profile and we will get back to you ASAP so we can discuss this further.

Best wishes,

AttitudeMagazine

Though we allowed this solicitation to be posted because of the potential for it to generate a positive view of what men with a micropenis go through, that's not the same as wholeheartedly endorsing the idea.  I think it's worth pointing out that the writer/publisher will define what "positive" means.  Also, the exposure won't be something you can take back afterwards.

However, with awareness of the vulnerabilities, it might be a worthwhile effort for the right guy.

I do think the magazine missed that this is primarily a forum for those who aren't "embracing and accepting" their situation.  What I wonder is whether there could be an article about that.

@malign people only want the positive spin. You're right, what's the point in writing the article if you don't take into account the dark side to this? I'm amazed by the lack of genuine communication regarding SPS, it's either ignored by health professionals or sprinkled with glitter by the media. That or openly ridiculed with no fear of backlash.  

Perhaps it's good that the post was allowed mainly because it opened this discussion about the role of the media which otherwise wouldn't be accessible to someone from the media. Now you all can tell them your point of views and it might be useful for them and, as a result, for the public.

BTW, I imagine that writing about "positive sides" is important for those who think they're "not good enough" etc., while writing about "the dark side" would be important mainly to influence readers who don't know anything about it.

I'm a big supporter of the positive, I've brought myself back from the brink with positivity, but the reality is a two sided coin. Personally, everything I've ever watched or read regarding small/micro penises is only one side of that coin, the positive, as that's all most people can stomach, "He has a micropenis, but you can't take the hop out of his step"! But like everything in life there are two sides to every story and the dark side is rarely mentioned, if at all. We're talking about the lost stories, life changing panic attacks, suicidal thoughts and job threatening break downs. If this was any other subject it'd be on tongues of every social justice warrior fighting for our justice like they do for the none existent 'pay gap' or 'gay rights' that they already have, but it's not just ignored, it's laughed at. And doctors? "It's all in your head, take these pills so I can get back to telling pensioners to eat a plum and walk more". It's a fucking joke and I'm enduring that agonising joke in work as we speak. It's the worst feeling you can encounter as a man, but don't look to other men for help, they're just glad it isn't them. And women? It's hilarious to (almost) every woman, can't be seen to not be part of the joke, so they smirk and snigger like toddlers who've hidden the TV remote. This is why I didn't work for 8 years, it's heartbreaking, it chips away at your soul. I'm a good person, I care about people and I'd never intentionally say something that would upset or hurt them, and yet, it's happening again. I'm working again and I'm HATING it again and all people can fucking talk about is the positive side of it. Here's a news flash, the coin keeps flipping. You can be happy for months, then BAM! You're on the floor and you can't move for the depression. The anxiety is overwhelming, the anticipation of the next comment, sly remark or blatant piss take fills every gap in your mind. You watch something funny on TV and start laughing but as soon as you stop, it quickly fills the gap. I'm tired of this, I'm done talking about it, it's draining me. 

• 5 months later...
On 9/28/2017 at 6:01 PM, YOTH said:

I'm a big supporter of the positive, I've brought myself back from the brink with positivity, but the reality is a two sided coin. Personally, everything I've ever watched or read regarding small/micro penises is only one side of that coin, the positive, as that's all most people can stomach, "He has a micropenis, but you can't take the hop out of his step"! But like everything in life there are two sides to every story and the dark side is rarely mentioned, if at all. We're talking about the lost stories, life changing panic attacks, suicidal thoughts and job threatening break downs. If this was any other subject it'd be on tongues of every social justice warrior fighting for our justice like they do for the none existent 'pay gap' or 'gay rights' that they already have, but it's not just ignored, it's laughed at. And doctors? "It's all in your head, take these pills so I can get back to telling pensioners to eat a plum and walk more". It's a fucking joke and I'm enduring that agonising joke in work as we speak. It's the worst feeling you can encounter as a man, but don't look to other men for help, they're just glad it isn't them. And women? It's hilarious to (almost) every woman, can't be seen to not be part of the joke, so they smirk and snigger like toddlers who've hidden the TV remote. This is why I didn't work for 8 years, it's heartbreaking, it chips away at your soul. I'm a good person, I care about people and I'd never intentionally say something that would upset or hurt them, and yet, it's happening again. I'm working again and I'm HATING it again and all people can fucking talk about is the positive side of it. Here's a news flash, the coin keeps flipping. You can be happy for months, then BAM! You're on the floor and you can't move for the depression. The anxiety is overwhelming, the anticipation of the next comment, sly remark or blatant piss take fills every gap in your mind. You watch something funny on TV and start laughing but as soon as you stop, it quickly fills the gap. I'm tired of this, I'm done talking about it, it's draining me. 

The best summation of SPS I've ever read hands down. This is exactly how I feel day in day out word for word. 

I applaud guys who can overcome it with positive thinking. But I've tried and just can't. The amount of effort it requires for me simply makes it impossible to affect my perspective in any real or lasting way. 

I'm of the mindset that any attention that can be brought to our cause is a good thing. If this magazine wants to show the positive spin on it, so be it. As many users such as OH and his brilliant post above have shown, it's not that realistic but it still brings attention to the issue nonetheless. Hell, I would do the interview myself if I was a homosexual. I mean, I "conquered" my SPS and got the girl and came out of my shell but as YOTH has shown, there's no such thing as "conquering" SPS, it sticks with you.

And YOTH I got to say I am sorry to hear that you are so utterly crippled by our condition. I have found myself being arguably the most at peace member (while not going overboard and yelling at everyone to man up) of this forum. Now that I know that size isn't everything and that I can still experience love regardless and that there are women out there that truly don't care (so long as you make sure to get them off in other ways), I feel like SPS is less of a problem for me. But everyone is different.

I was working at the time of the post and going through a particularly rough patch, I'd forgotten I'd written tbh until it was posted on again recently. But I guess it still stands as how I feel when I'm low or struggling. As I've said before, my issues are perceived SPS because of my bulge and the defences I put up to stop being noticed (which ironically draws more attention than ignoring it). But, again, we've had the positives and I'm not against them, they're always inspiring (like your story). But not everyone is able to deal with our thing and the battering it throws at us, and I'd say that that's what the post was reflecting. Also, from pictures I've seen of you, I wouldn't be able to tell that you're small from looking at you, that's a blessing I'd pay to have. And if I'm honest, I'm at peace most of the time, but the reality is ups and downs. When I'm down I struggle, when I'm up I'm fine. That a was a really difficult time for me, the baby was tiny, I was in work every night and I hated it. Remarks had been made and I was in conflict and turmoil. Such is life.