Mental Support Community

Small Penis 12 Step Group?

Lodz

Step 1. We admitted we were powerless over small penis syndrome - that our lives had become unmanageable.

It seems to make sense to me. Nothing I can do can relieve this suffering. When I put a little faith into it, and tell myself, I'll be fine if I just stop obsessing, I feel relieved. I have been in a 12-step program in the past and probably still should be. But I was never able to share my darkest secret and belief. I never felt safe sharing it, like I do here. But this is just a website. We can't see each other's faces. We can't give hugs. We can't see each other's tears and feel the warmth directly that way. Text is so cold, even at its sweetest.

I wish there were a meeting I could go to for this and vent. But when I've googled it, all I've found is a joke site that just makes fun of our affliction, and one actual group (not a 12 step, just a support group) in New York City. But the stigma is so heavy that I don't think anyone would show up, except in giant metropolis' like NYC. It is the nature of this condition to be scared. To hide. To isolate. But we are here. We are breaking our isolation and bonding if only a little.

If there were an in-person support group like this in your area, would you go?

I've thought of setting one up tbh, but as you say, who would go. We end up in the doctors reeling off the effects of SPS but never being honest with the cause. I'm depressed (pills) I'm anxious (pills) I can't work with this on top of the stress of working (get on with it). I'm suicidal (counselling) but I've done that, never told them why I was there. I'd dig through the back yard of my psyche pulling up skeletons from my childhood but avoid the corpse I'm living in. I'm really motivated to do something for all of us, but what? How can I help? I can't! I'm so wrapped up in my own misery and anxiety and depression that I couldn't help without a small loan of a million dollars. I don't know the answer. I'm not in a good place at the moment, I'm weaker than ever and acting stronger than I have for 10 years, I'm blagging and faking my life and I'm so tired. Mentally, physically, emotionally. I'm a husk of a thing. 

This is a difficult situation that we are in. Shame keeps me from openly discussing except for in the most anonymous fashion. (the internet). I won't even go to the doctor for a physical due to my embarrassment. 

I don't understand why every other affliction is taken seriously except for this one. It really pisses me off!

I would like to join a real "group therapy" on SPS but I honestly don't know if I would ever have the balls to do it.

I would be afraid someone would find out even though there should be nothing to be ashamed about.

I will likely die with this monkey on my back and I don't feel that there is really anything I can do to change this fact.

@lostboy1 i feel you. I think i'd have the balls to go, but onky if someone else had the balls to start it up. Or if i had a local friend (SF Bay Area) to start it up with...

Since posting this, i've thought maybe 12 step is a little too formal or commitment-oriented. But some type of in person group like this forum. But shit, if this forum only has like a dozen active participants out of the whole world, how hard must it be to get people out of their shells to go to a  meeting in person in the town they live in? Damn it.

I think this forum is a clear indicator that many men suffer in silence rather than reaching out. Embarrassment keeps most people in their own heads and I personally think a lot of guys commit suicide or have nervous breakdowns because of it and people just say "he was depressed" or "he was deeply unhappy" without ever knowing the cause. I wonder if that same thing happens all too often. Would they ever know what a loved one was going through in their personal life? Would anybody really know the actual reason we killed ourselves if it was one of us? Or would the actual cause just be ignored and other trivial reasons get blamed? A support group irl would be helpful to me personally, but how tf would you go about setting one up? It'd be interesting to know how people who've set one up went about it. 

Most psychological support groups are championed by a therapist or psychologist from what I've seen. I'm sure there are active support groups in most large cities for body dysmorphia and SPS is a form of BD. I just can't see going to a BD support group though because I will likely be the only person there with SPS.

I would prefer a group that is specifically for SPS but as @Lodz indicated, there are only a small number of members on here that are active and this is a global forum so finding 6+ people in my area who would be willing to discuss openly is highly unlikely.