Mental Support Community

Am i the only one lurking right now?

Lodz

2 minutes ago, Klingsor said:

What always puzzled me is that Friday and Saturday nights are usually dead here. Never could figure out what a bunch of guys posting on SPS were doing at those times. For me those are the worst days because I know most people are out having fun. I tried creating a bot that would record logins and log offs of users so I could do pattern analysis of user habits but unfortunately I'm not that gifted in computer science.

Indeed.....

Weekends, or at least the majority of them, are hell to me.

3 minutes ago, Klingsor said:

What always puzzled me is that Friday and Saturday nights are usually dead here. Never could figure out what a bunch of guys posting on SPS were doing at those times. For me those are the worst days because I know most people are out having fun.

This is a very valid point. I specifically noticed that this past weekend. Best I could figure was that there were some good ballgames on TV.

Maybe life just is what it is (for everyone) and it's our expectations that are the problem.  

To illustrate, if you are hungry I don't have to convince you to eat.  If you are tired I don't have to convince you to sleep.

But ever notice how happy, positive upbeat people constantly have to pitch the idea that life is good.  

Look at any TV commercial or listen to anyone who is bragging about their life. There is a desperation there that says "please believe it so that I will too".  If life were good no one would have to sell you on it. You would already know.  

10 hours ago, YOTH said:

Anyone else think the forum would benefit from a live chat? That'd be pretty awesome. 

We have discussed it in the past, but the main reason (as I recall) that we haven't opened the chat area on site is because it would be too challenging to moderate. 

@Small, self love comes from within and wouldn't require this type of announcement (as in liking one's own post), I don't think, if it were genuine. I didn't know the software prevented it, though, interesting. 

15 hours ago, lostboy1 said:

ahh... Our words here will go down in the annals of history for the world to learn from.

We paint such lovely pictures with our words in this forum!

What necessity do we have to abide by a PC & moral code? What use are our words if they're twisted and contorted to succumb to social expectation? True pain can't be moulded. That's why we call it suffering.

I think it takes true bravery to say things the way they are felt. I know that as humans we tend to season the steaming pile of shit in life with all sorts of pleasantries & if it softens the blow then hey - who am I to judge. But someone speaking their unsolicited truth shouldn't be scolded. I've never understood this. Why must tolerance only favour the positive? Because it defeats the purpose by punishing those who make an honest attempt of both experiencing & verbalising a hardship for what it is. This is the quintessence of living - to experience. 

15 hours ago, Victimorthecrime said:

But ever notice how happy, positive upbeat people constantly have to pitch the idea that life is good.  

Look at any TV commercial or listen to anyone who is bragging about their life. There is a desperation there that says "please believe it so that I will too".  If life were good no one would have to sell you on it. You would already know.  

I'd like this 10 times if I could.

@Victimorthecrime

I've also noticed that positive & happy people rarely admit a problem while it's an actual problem. It seems to be completey omitted from their (public) self narrative until they are attempting to or successfully addressing it. It's always brought up in the past tense with the affirming stipulation "now I'm sorting it out". That rings alarm bells for me. Positivity doesn't seem to be all that loyal to the truth.

1 hour ago, Small said:

@Victimorthecrime

I've also noticed that positive & happy people rarely admit a problem while it's an actual problem. It seems to be completey omitted from their (public) self narrative until they are attempting to or successfully addressing it. It's always brought up in the past tense with the affirming stipulation "now I'm sorting it out". That rings alarm bells for me. Positivity doesn't seem to be all that loyal to the truth.

I am so guilty of that. I want everyone to think everything is fine, until i'm so broken that i have no choice. 

3 hours ago, Small said:

I think it takes true bravery to say things the way they are felt. I know that as humans we tend to season the steaming pile of shit in life with all sorts of pleasantries & if it softens the blow then hey - who am I to judge. But someone speaking their unsolicited truth shouldn't be scolded. I've never understood this. Why must tolerance only favour the positive? Because it defeats the purpose by punishing those who make an honest attempt of both experiencing & verbalising a hardship for what it is. This is the quintessence of living - to experience. 

This is quite profound and I agree.

Edited by IrmaJean
Still can't type

4 hours ago, Small said:

What necessity do we have to abide by a PC & moral code? What use are our words if they're twisted and contorted to succumb to social expectation? True pain can't be moulded. That's why we call it suffering.

@Small I agree with you. My comments were more facetious than fact. To me this forum is open to regurgitation of our pain and suffering and I appreciate that aspect. If you don't believe me then just read some of my posts over the past couple of weeks. I don't believe in masking or twisting my words to meet social expectations and, again, this is why I find this forum to be such a safe haven for the open and free speech that comes with the pain and suffering that we all experience.

In real life I just do not have this luxury. As much I as would like to say that I have the balls to speak my mind anywhere and anytime the reality is that I am a slave to the social norms all around me. While there are a few people in this world that can be successful in life without a filter, most of us require some degree of restraint in order to not alienate all of those around us. I'm not saying that this is "the right way" I'm just saying that this is how most of us live outside of the little black box that is connected to the internet.

• 4 weeks later...

All I know is I joined this site maybe 5 hours ago and I already have posted over 10 times so like, I'll be on here. I'm sure this is just a honeymoon phase sort of thing, like I had no idea there was a place like this, so all I have wanted to do today was talk about it, but eventually I will get bored of it, but you guys are right, it is slow right now. And kind of depressing that all of the recent comments on all of the recent threads are currently held by me lol.