Mental Support Community

help my sister?

karig

Hi out there! Does anyone know about munchausen syndrome? More importantly, does anyone have any suggestions about how I can help my sister? I'm pretty sure she has this syndrome. It was about three years ago she had our entire family believing she was dying. I was pushing her around in a wheelchair! Needless to say she doesn't need the chair anymore. She currently works in an office. Once I found out that her "illness" wasn't real and confronted her, she miraculously recovered. She saw a therapist briefly but quit going, probably because she didn't want to hear what he had to say. So life went on. But now I see the signs of meltdown again and don't know if and how to help. She will not acknowledge she has any problem.

Any ideas?

Hi out there! Does anyone know about munchausen syndrome? More importantly, does anyone have any suggestions about how I can help my sister? I'm pretty sure she has this syndrome. It was about three years ago she had our entire family believing she was dying. I was pushing her around in a wheelchair! Needless to say she doesn't need the chair anymore. She currently works in an office. Once I found out that her "illness" wasn't real and confronted her, she miraculously recovered. She saw a therapist briefly but quit going, probably because she didn't want to hear what he had to say. So life went on. But now I see the signs of meltdown again and don't know if and how to help. She will not acknowledge she has any problem.

Any ideas?

Hi there,

I have heard of Munchausen , however have not know anybody to have had it personally. Some things that could be going on is that she is looking for attention, hypochodria, or has a phobia of some sort.

Maybe she could agree to talk to a counselor? Not about her "fake" illness but just to talk about anything that is bothering her. I think it would be

difficult to confront someone like that who feels nothing is wrong. Have you asked her bluntly why she is doing it?