Mental Support Community

Exercising doesn't have to mean running a marathon

2002to2009

I used to think it did. But just going for a walk does wonders for the soul, I think.

If nothing else, it's a symbol. It's a way of telling your self: "I am doing this purely for ME." It's a little reminder that you're alive.

Sometimes I have to force myself, because it always seems like there's something better I could be doing. But once I do it, I've got a lot more energy to do other things.

It doesn't just burn off the negative stress cortisol, it recharges you spiritually.

Guest ASchwartz

2002to2009,

I agree with you and want to just add that exercise has a positive impact that works in both ways: physically and spiritually. As long as your doctor gives you the OK if you are older, it is important for all of us to walk vigorously, or jog or skip rope or swim or ride a bicycle, etc.

Allan :)

Exercise may not be the most glamorous of activities, but the benefits are enough to make me go to the gym despite whatever excuses I generate to myself. It is good to build upon previous weight and times. On hot, stuffy days or cold, chilly ones, I tend to think that I may not be able to match my previous goals. But, for such days, it is good to complete a workout and show myself that I can do it. The mind is just not in the game! When that happens I try to visualize myself completing the workout.

Visualization is like setting up the mental stage, while physically taking action covers the physical stage. To focus one's mind on images of a goal or the processes of reaching a goal requires a calm mind. Just try focusing your mind on an image of yourself completing a repetition very well, and successfully. For some, like myself, visualization does not come very easy. Some books suggest to include as much detail in the visualization as possible, but if this is too difficult then pretend you are a director for a movie. Try to visualize yourself from various angles.

The point is that when you think of various other things besides the task at hand, you are increasing your stress levels to some degree. In extreme cases of multitasking, psychologists are arguing that this can lead to “brain fog”. Exercise often forces people to focus on fewer things, encouraging a less stressful state of mind. But, visualization can be applied to all parts of life. So before you do something, maybe you should stand for a little bit?

I sooooo need to jump on this bandwagon! I used to love to go out for walks. My kids are always asking for me to take them on a walk. I have a dog who loves to walk (okay, run!) so I have lots of good reasons to do it. I just don't. Sometimes its depression, sometimes its anxiety, but I find it difficult to get started. :) Does someone want to be an accountability partner? Maybe someone else is struggling with this and we can be accountable to one another to get outside and walk- even if just a lap around the block!

I’m pretty active but I have never been into going to the gym. I really value the time I spend alone exercising because it helps me gather my thoughts and reflect upon things. And you are right, “exercise doesn’t have to mean running a marathon.” I think it helps to find ways of exercising that you actually enjoy. This has been on my mind because recently I bought a new bike (a one speed like I used to ride when I was a kid). I hadn’t been on a bike in years. I forgot how much fun it can be to ride, and the bonus is you get some exercise while doing it. There was a break in the rain this afternoon and I went for a ride. It was a little chilly but feeling the wind all around me and taking everything in, I really felt better afterwards and I couldn’t wait to do it again.

• 8 months later...
I sooooo need to jump on this bandwagon! I used to love to go out for walks. My kids are always asking for me to take them on a walk. I have a dog who loves to walk (okay, run!) so I have lots of good reasons to do it. I just don't. Sometimes its depression, sometimes its anxiety, but I find it difficult to get started. :) Does someone want to be an accountability partner? Maybe someone else is struggling with this and we can be accountable to one another to get outside and walk- even if just a lap around the block!

You know, you made me wonder. I know how great exercise can be, I grew up on it. I think I'd have to say I was an exercise junkie. But I'm not allowed to go for any substantial walk (that's pretty much of anywhere - grocery shopping is about it), in fact my physio has a go at me for anything 'cause I used to be an elite athlete so I suck at doing anything in moderation. Though my home has a mighty set of steps that serve a good purpose.

But reading what you wrote, I thought, hhmmmm, where I live there's a small pool in our complex a small walk behind my townhouse besides the many units we have as well. I find being there relaxing. I realised I could do that each day - it's not heaps, but it's something and it does give my spirit a chance to fly free for a while. I guess I never have 'cause it's not far and I've only ever known how to train my insides out.