Mental Support Community

Fake Visitor Messages

Mark

All,

Malign has noticed that there are a lot of fake visitor messages posted to profiles. He (right?) has crafted this message and has asked me to post it with my imprint which I am gladly doing:

We are experiencing a rash of fake visitor messages soliciting our users to respond by sending e-mail. No private user data has been compromised, but we recommend that you do not e-mail people you do not trust.

The messages have different source names on them, and different e-mail addresses, but the content is similar. The following is a sample message:

Quote:

Hello

My name is <user name> i saw your profile today at(community.mentalhelp.net)and became intrested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send an email to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom i am.

Here is my email address(<e-mail address>)

I believe we can move from here!

I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.

(Remeber the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life).

NB!! please mail me in my private box not in the site ok

(<e-mail address>)

Most of the messages show the misspelling of "intrested" and the lack of spaces after commas, and some offer to send a picture.

As long as you do not respond, the messages are harmless, but moderators can remove them, if you so desire.

So - let us know if you want/need some of these fake messages removed and we'll remove them. Otherwise, ignore them.

Mark