Mental Support Community

Change! Something needs doing?

paula

Well I don't know whether it's me, but I think this site could do with a bit of spricing up, or something...

I wish I could add a new Thread to some of the older post that I have noticed are getting ignored...

If I did add a new Thread to some of these post, then people will be sick of seeing the same name again & again...

I have also noticed that some of the Members & Senior members are not spending as much time on this site as they used to...

And I have also noticed that the Administrators them selves are not spending a great deal of time on the site either!!

There is something wrong here where nothing is progressing anywhere! People are coming and going, & who can blame them of late...

I know this has nothing to do with me on the running of this site, but I enjoy being on this site & cannot just stand back and watch it go down the drain...

So... If I have said anything to offend anyone, in any of these sentences, then I apologise. I am just trying to get the show back on the road...

Well said Paula. I think mentalhelp.net is a great site and there are fantastic articles on here. The topics covered are vast and I guess there just aren't enough administrators to go around. Senior members such as yourself can only go so far in responding to posts and many junior members just won't feel experienced enough to respond to posts at all.

I wonder if there are any more trained professionals out there who could give some time to mentalhelp.net each week? - Perhaps this would be the solution, there is definitely a need for more moderating on this site.

Nelly

Hi Nelly

I am so very pleased that you are with me on this!

As you said yourself, "something needs to be done to help the Administrators on this site!"

People are getting bored with the same old post!

This site is lacking something, but I can't quite put my finger on it!

Maybe some other members could help out here, has anyone any suggestion's? Think about it, this is our site were talking about here!

How does everyone else feel?

It seems to me that the administrators are doing the best they can, given their limitations. (and I think we are all thankful for their efforts ;)) Paula, you mentioned getting “bored with the same old posts.” Maybe there could be more participation from moderators, and all other members as well, but I think that sometimes the lack of response to some posts has to do with the serious nature of the topics being discussed. I know that there are times when I would like to reply, but I just don’t know what to say.

Guest ASchwartz

Well, we are dealing with a limited staff and that makes it difficult to respond to everything, especially since there are other things we do for the site. I do try to get to as many forums as possible. Please be patient. I would suggest that, if you really want a reply from either Mark or myself, please say so, it is OK to do that.

There is a problem that I have noticed that may account for why some of you do not feel responded to:

Some of our members shift around a lot from forum to forum. There is nothing wrong with that in itself but what I have noticed is that some people continue a discussion from one forum into a different forum where there is no connection to what was previously said. It makes it difficult to follow what is really happening.

My suggestion: follow your threads through on the same forum. If you have a new issue and it it separate, then go to another forum and start there new.

Any thoughts?

Allan

Edited by ASchwartz
add to

It seems to me that the administrators are doing the best they can, given their limitations. (and I think we are all thankful for their efforts ) Paula,

I am not saying that they are not doing there best nightfalls, what I am saying is; That things seem to be going a bit sour lately! Don't forget that apart from enjoying this site, I have mentioned these issues to try and help the Administrators out. Maybe this site does need a few more Moderators, & you may think that I am being a Hypocrite here by saying that I don't want to be a Moderator but, there has been post up for over a week without any reply's!

I think your missing the point that I am trying to get at here? What I am saying is, can there be things done or added on this site to try and get people more interested, so that they will stay. I know what Allan is saying that members do venture between different forum sites, but there's members that have been using this site for a long time that is not even checking back on this site after a while, so... to me it seems that something needs to be done to try and help this site to be well known around the web... Trying to keep the members we have got, & for people to spread the word...

I am trying to help here, not Discriminate!

WEllll ,

There are some things that I believe are positives . I like that it is slower pace. However, I have seen new people post and then get no responses from anyone. I feel badly about that. Sometimes, I do not know how to respond or what to say that could be useful. Or just can't relate at all to what the person is expressing.

Allen, I hope i don't bouce around from one post to the other ! LOL . Sometimes I can understand what someone is going through and fell compelled to respond. The self injury posts and depression threads really hit a cord with me. Along with the personality ones too.

When I can respond to a post it helps me feel better to offer feedback to somebody else. I apreciate the feedback and support too when I post , but do not alway expect a reply right away.

I know that it could pick up on here a bit, However I have bee on sites that move much to fast and I just can't keep up with all the threads, then I am overwhelmed.

It is also a little more personal on here because it is a smaller amount of members , maybe that is what your noticing Paula? imo, I am more comfortable on this fourm.

Hi mscat

When I can respond to a post it helps me feel better to offer feedback to somebody else. I apreciate the feedback and support too when I post , but do not alway expect a reply right away.

I know that it could pick up on here a bit, However I have bee on sites that move much to fast and I just can't keep up with all the threads, then I am overwhelmed.

It is also a little more personal on here because it is a smaller amount of members , maybe that is what your noticing Paula? imo, I am more comfortable on this fourm.

I understand what your saying regarding your comfort zone, but any slower & it will stop! That's what I am trying to get at!

It's just that no responses are being added, and I also understand that members are a bit delicate around certain post and their contents, but... instead of some one dealing with these issues, again they are being left, which is causing some of these post to stay where they are to be ignored!

It's just that when you come on the Community, your seeing the same post with no reply's and them that have had a reply, maybe a post that your not familiar with? E.G - I wouldn't have a clue about self harming, where you mscat, have been through it & know how it feels, why they do this, how they are feeling afterwards, what can draw them to do this in the first place? Where me, I know all about Depression (Not saying that you don't) and can understand some issues relating to the sexuality forum. Am I making myself clear? There are members on here who know more about situations relating to certain post & can reply better than others!

I am trying to stop a ship from sinking. I'm not saying that it is going to sink in day's, weeks, but surely you can see how this site is changing?

This site deserves a lot more than just to sit back and let it sink! There has been a considerable amount of work put in here to get it where it is today & I think this site needs our help and I for one am prepared to give it! (not for Moderating though! There is enough members who would make brilliant moderators, but not me!)

I would like to think that there is others on this site that would help as well!

I think there is still a lot of growth potential here. Its still a relatively new community (about a year old, I think?) and membership is growing. Unfortunately, the very nature of this community is that it is made up of people who will have periods of isoation, apathy, anxiety and depression which means periods in which they do not post or respond to posts. I know this is true for me, anyway. As a "senior member" who has not been around as much lately, my personal emotional status often determines when and how I participate in these forums.

Personally, I think that if members, or perhaps moderators, would start discussion topics just for the sake of discussion- similar to what would happen in group therapy- there would be more participation. Often, I read posts and really feel like since I have not been in the situation, I have nothing to offer. But, if a discussion topic were introduced, for example "anxiety triggers" well then any member who has ever had issues with anxiety would feel as though he or she had valuable input. Having these "ice breaker" type discussions could create a more comfortable atmosphere in which members- new and old- would be more willing to open up and share. Thats just my .02 of course!

Hi mscat

I understand what your saying regarding your comfort zone, but any slower & it will stop! That's what I am trying to get at!

It's just that no responses are being added, and I also understand that members are a bit delicate around certain post and their contents, but... instead of some one dealing with these issues, again they are being left, which is causing some of these post to stay where they are to be ignored!

It's just that when you come on the Community, your seeing the same post with no reply's and them that have had a reply, maybe a post that your not familiar with? E.G - I wouldn't have a clue about self harming, where you mscat, have been through it & know how it feels, why they do this, how they are feeling afterwards, what can draw them to do this in the first place? Where me, I know all about Depression (Not saying that you don't) and can understand some issues relating to the sexuality forum. Am I making myself clear? There are members on here who know more about situations relating to certain post & can reply better than others!

I am trying to stop a ship from sinking. I'm not saying that it is going to sink in day's, weeks, but surely you can see how this site is changing?

This site deserves a lot more than just to sit back and let it sink! There has been a considerable amount of work put in here to get it where it is today & I think this site needs our help and I for one am prepared to give it! (not for Moderating though! There is enough members who would make brilliant moderators, but not me!)

I would like to think that there is others on this site that would help as well!

Paula ,

I get you. i like the Idea of Proverbs . Maybe moderaters could start a thread on here that we all can respond to. Yes, You do have wonderful insight and feedback to offer others. AND yes, I've see it happen where someone posts once and does not get any responses from anybody. That is not fair to me because that person is reaching out to us and could benifit from feedback and our support.

Sometimes , a lot of times i do not know what to reply to someone's thread, or I fear that I'll write the wrong thing down anf further upset somebody.

I do not want to offend you or anybody else , So sorry If i made you mad:( It was just my opinion , and don't want you to feel I was trying to piss you off by my response to this thread.

I check in here twice a day to see if their is any new threads going or new people here , and sometimes, yes, there is still no replies to the old posts. I don't want this site to go downhill either.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi everyone,

You know, I have just looked through our forums and it seemed to me that there is a lot of participation and interaction. Perhaps everyone is looking too much towards Mark, myself and the other moderators to provide answers? I am not sure about that but, I want to suggest that it is not answers that are important but the discussion between people.

Allan:)

Hi All

I too agree that I think it's a brilliant idea of Proverbs.

Personally, I think that if members, or perhaps moderators, would start discussion topics just for the sake of discussion- similar to what would happen in group therapy- there would be more participation. Often, I read posts and really feel like since I have not been in the situation, I have nothing to offer. But, if a discussion topic were introduced, for example "anxiety triggers" well then any member who has ever had issues with anxiety would feel as though he or she had valuable input. Having these "ice breaker" type discussions could create a more comfortable atmosphere in which members- new and old- would be more willing to open up and share. Thats just my .02 of course!

I also think it would be a more relaxed atmosphere!

Paula ,

I get you. i like the Idea of Proverbs . Maybe moderaters could start a thread on here that we all can respond to. Yes, You do have wonderful insight and feedback to offer others. AND yes, I've see it happen where someone posts once and does not get any responses from anybody. That is not fair to me because that person is reaching out to us and could benifit from feedback and our support.

Sometimes , a lot of times i do not know what to reply to someone's thread, or I fear that I'll write the wrong thing down anf further upset somebody.

I do not want to offend you or anybody else , So sorry If i made you mad It was just my opinion , and don't want you to feel I was trying to piss you off by my response to this thread.

I check in here twice a day to see if their is any new threads going or new people here , and sometimes, yes, there is still no replies to the old posts. I don't want this site to go downhill either.

mscat, you also do a brilliant job with the responses that you give. I read them & wonder why your knowledge isn't used more professionally?

I don't know where you got this from that you made me mad! Have you hella's like made me mad! And why would I think that you would try to piss me off? It had never even entered my head, honestly! You are entitled to your opinion like everyone else on here. It's just that I don't think I made myself clear. I am trying to get a bit of interest going here for this site, not call anybody for not taking enough participation in this site. I know everybody works hard on this site including all the members.

I would just like to Thank everybody for their support, for what I am hoping will turn out to be a good cause!

Hi everyone,

I am not sure about that but, I want to suggest that it is not answers that are important but the discussion between people.

I agree with this. This is why I suggested having discussion topics. Instead of posting only about our particular issues (thought I certainly don't advocate NOT posting our particular issues) perhaps we could discuss mental health topics just for the sake of discussion. Anyone could feel free to throw out a topic and invited discussion. Topics are endless: preferred therapy methods; what we look for in a therapist or doctor; how willing people are to share their diagnosis with friends, family, coworkers, etc. I think you get the point! Anyway, as always, this is just my vantage point!

I apologize for being late to this party, but this is how it is for me - I have a limited amount of time I can spend here. I think that things are slowing down some (and they were never terribly fast here to begin with), but I'm not overly concerned about it. I intend to keep this site here and chugging along, and people will make of it what they will. At least - I cannot make it function better than it does right now; it's up to the people who find value here to keep it going at a pace that feels comfortable. No single person can do it - it will need to be a group effort. The nice thing is that since I have the luxury of keeping it going indefinitely, if it doesn't spark now, it can spark later on. There isn't a time table for "success" here. We can let it ebb and flow as people want to do that.

I think the majority of people who come through have a specific question in mind and they aren't much interested in hanging around. That's completely fine. But those people who are interested in being here more regularly can do that too. There is room for both sorts of interactions.

This is a complicated issue, and I know I'm not doing it justice, but I do hope that I can at least communicate that we are not on a time table and that there is no need to solve the problems urgently. We have time.

Instead of posting only about our particular issues (thought I certainly don't advocate NOT posting our particular issues) perhaps we could discuss mental health topics just for the sake of discussion. Anyone could feel free to throw out a topic and invited discussion. Topics are endless: preferred therapy methods; what we look for in a therapist or doctor; how willing people are to share their diagnosis with friends, family, coworkers, etc. I think you get the point! Anyway, as always, this is just my vantage point!

I could not agree more

Edited by Mark

Hi All

Instead of posting only about our particular issues (thought I certainly don't advocate NOT posting our particular issues) perhaps we could discuss mental health topics just for the sake of discussion. Anyone could feel free to throw out a topic and invited discussion. Topics are endless: preferred therapy methods; what we look for in a therapist or doctor; how willing people are to share their diagnosis with friends, family, coworkers, etc. I think you get the point! Anyway, as always, this is just my vantage point!

I totally agree as well.

Seen as I started the thread, I suppose its up to me to start the Topic!

Here goes. I'm not very good at starting topics but I'll give it a bash!

Since being under a Therapist, a lot has gone on regarding my Health,

Depression, Anxiety, Insomnia, & other related illnesses. (to much to go into)

My Therapist has been in touch with my Doctor as she is concerned that my medication, which I haven't been on long because they keep swapping and changing them, might not be working like it should? She has asked me to make an appointment, to go and visit my doctor to talk about changing my meds yet again!

She has also written to my Psychiatrist and requested a Re-view of me asap.

Could anyone tell me what a review is & what will happen in this review?

The reasons I'm under a Psychiatrist in the first place is that I tried to commit Suicide and ended up in hospital for nearly 3 weeks. I've probably had them before, but the word re-view, doesn't ring a bell!

I am not sure of what a "review" may be, but it sounds much like what my pdoc does. I see my pdoc every 3-4 months to monitor my medications. If I change meds or doses, I'll see him again in 6 weeks, instead. Anytime my T has a concern about my meds then either she or I call pdoc and he canmake adjustments that way.

It sounds like your T wants to make sure your meds are effective and working well for your issues. Do you normally see your pdoc on a regular basis?

Hi Proverbs & cheers for getting back to me on this.

It sounds like your T wants to make sure your meds are effective and working well for your issues. Do you normally see your pdoc on a regular basis?

Yeah, I see my pdoc every 4/6 weeks. It sounds like you could be right there, as my Therapist is concerned that these meds are what you call useless!

Instead of these meds helping me deal with my issues, I am in fact feeling more & more depressed. I am uptight all the time, & my Anxiety & Insomnia, have just gone up the wall! I just can't seem to relax whatsoever.

My Therapist has asked me to get in touch with my doctor because he wants a word about how I'm coping, which isn't so well really! But I'm finding it hard to even do that!

I see her again next Thursday, & she is hoping that I have seen my doc before then? I've not even arranged an appointment to see him yet! The thought of going up there to see him, makes my Anxiety flare up! Just don't know how I'm going to handle this! It's proving to be a great worry on my behalf!

Thank you for replying anyway. Don't think my Topic has hit it off well, do you?

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Paula,

I think you topic is great. Its the same story: some will respond and others will not.

Anyway, having a review of your case is a good thing because the doctor is being asked to go over your medications, his diagnosis (that determines the chosen medications) and the types of therapy. Its a good thing because it can result in improved treatment especially since you report that you feel worse.

To go back to the issue of topics, how about this idea Paula and others: How about a discussion of medicines and what its like to take to take them and do they really help???