Mental Support Community

Tell us about your favorite movie!

Proverbs31:28

Hey proverbs. Thank you so much for posting this because I love to watch funny movies when I’m feeling down. I love movies that make me laugh. My go-to movies for this are Best in Show and Waiting for Guffman. I pretty much like all Christopher Guest movies and I’m always surprised to see how many people have not heard of them because they are so amazing. Best in Show (a movie about the owners of five dogs participating in a national dog show) is probably my favorite, so here is a quote from the movie:

Stefan Vanderhoof: [discussing the calendar] We're not gonna sell, just give it out to friends.

Scott Donlan: I think we should try to sell it.

Stefan Vanderhoof: Really?

Scott Donlan: Yeah.

Stefan Vanderhoof: Well, if we could give the money to Shih Tzu rescue.

Scott Donlan: They have plenty of money.

Stefan Vanderhoof: Well so do we.

Scott Donlan: What Shih Tzus need rescuing anyway? You don't see Shih Tzus straggling around the streets in an old coat "help, alms for the poor".

What is your favorite movie of all time? My Fair Lady

How often do you watch it? Several times per year. Now that I've introduced it to my kids and they like it, I'll probably watch it even more!

Do you own a copy?

Abso-bloomin-lutely!

What is the genre: drama, comedy, horror, etc? Musical

Which character do you most relate to? Why? When I was younger, I would have said Professor Higgins because I demand perfection and cannot stand to hear language butchered! But, lately, I would say Eliza Doolittle because, like her, I think there is some potential deep down inside of me that is totally untapped!

Can you quote a line for us right now? Several, I'm sure! My favorites are:

Colonel Pickering- Have you no morals, man?

Alfred P. Doolittle- Nah. Can't afford none. Neither could you if you were as poor as me!

Colonel Pickering- Are you a man of good character where women are concerned?

Professor Higgins- Have you ever met a man of good character where women are concerned?

Hey proverbs. Thank you so much for posting this because I love to watch funny movies when I’m feeling down. I love movies that make me laugh. My go-to movies for this are Best in Show and Waiting for Guffman. I pretty much like all Christopher Guest movies and I’m always surprised to see how many people have not heard of them because they are so amazing. ".

Thanks for sharing, LL. Unfortunately, I am one of those who has never heard of them. But, I definitely agree with watching funny movies to boost the spirit! I am glad you have found some that do that for you. Personally, I can't beat a good John Candy movie when I need a good laugh! OMGosh, I could watch Uncle Buck again and again! I will have to check Blockbuster for your suggestions, though!

I like the comedy "50 first dates" with Adam sandler and Drew Barrymore

"How to lose a guy in 10 days" and this one with Kate hudson

They are both really funny and I need that. Anything with Adam sandler is a good one for me

"Click" is good too because it helps me to remember to appreciate my life for the little things but I cry everytime I watch it and get all sappy but then go hug my kids and try harder.

OK here it goes ... LOL

The Dark Night 3 times , has DVD , Heath Ledger, RIP

50 First Dates Several times :) Comedy

The Other Sister Several times

Nurse Betty-CHris Rock, "Cause i'm Fuckin Hungry!" Too many times, COmedy

The Memory Keeper's Daughter -once and it was a tear jerker

Life is Beautiful - Anther tear Jerker, have it in a different language, that one is high drama, and will take your breath away, will make you cry

Okay, it's a bit embarrassing, but my favorite movie is Airplane. Granted, it's not deep, there are no tears to be jerked, and some of the jokes are a bit dated. But I can still quote from it extensively when people ask, or even when they beg me not to. :-)

One fairly obscure example:

"Strange, Jim never has a second cup of coffee at home." followed later by

"Strange, Jim never throws up at home.", mocking a Maxwell House coffee commercial from that time period.

"I guess I picked the wrong day to quit smoking."

And my favorite:

"And don't call me Shirley."

I used to own a copy, but my wife gave it away or threw it out, who knows.

I would even watch it periodically, just so that I could say the lines along with it.

Mscat, I have to say I agree with you on The Memory Keeper's Daughter. I just think it is a beautiful, touching, yet heartbreaking story.

And, Malign, I think Airplane is right up there with the John Candy movies- the comedy just never gets old! In high school I won a radio trivia contest and the question was "What movie is this line from: 'Don't call me Shirley!'"

Today has been quite a rough day for me. I may have to break out one of these movies tonight and see if laughter really is the best medicine! :)

I can also recommend either of the two "Hot Shots" movies.

From the first one:

"Those are some long legs!"

In Victoria Golino's incredible accent: "Yes, I just had zem lengthened. Now zey go all ze vay up!"

"What do you do against an elephant with three balls?"

"Walk him, and pitch to the rhino." A really bad baseball joke, which won't translate at all for non-Americans.

From the second one:

The look on the face of the chicken. 'Nuff said.

• 5 weeks later...

What a stupid lamb.....

I Love the Notebook...

I watch it once a month & cry every time, it is real love-no ...and they lived happily ever after the end- it actually shows it.

A: Do you think I could have been a bird in my past life?

N: You mean like reincarnation......

A: Say I'm a bird.

N: If you're a bird, I'm a bird..

Forrest Gump- once a month

F: I may not be a smart man but I know what love is....

I love Tom Hanks.

Castaway: WILSON.... Never again, never again.

I'm a sucker for Shakespeare in Love

for comedy, The Man Who Knew Too Little with Bill Murray makes me laugh and laugh... so does House Sitter (Goldie Hawn and Steve Martin)...The Tall Guy (Jeff Goldblum) ...and The Princess Bride (the cliffs of insanity!!!!)

for goofy comedy I love The Mystery Men

for REALLY goofy comedy I love the whole BBC production of Jeeves and Wooster.

for satiric comedy I agree with Lie_Low, those Guest movies are ingenious. Have you seen the Conchords... an HBO satiric comedy series... pretty funny.

Edited by finding my way

:oRomance

Twilight - As if anyone can resist the most unattainable love possible. Though I have to admit, there are a lot better movies, but I feel in love with the book so I'm abit bias when it come to the movie.

:)Comedy

Anchorman - What can I say?? "You ate a whole wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad, I'm impressed!", "loud noises!!"

:mad:Crime

Run lola run - It was probably the inspiration for the butterfly effect, loved every min of it.

:eek:Horror

Freddy Vs Jason - how can anyone go past two classics...COMBINED!! I still get goose bumps at freddy's song.

Stole your format - he he

What is your favorite movie of all time? '50 first dates' :) (but only just ahead of 'As Good as it Gets' and 'Just Like Heaven'' and 'When Harry Met Sally' - I could go on for some time!!!)

How often do you watch it? Whenever there is someone around who hasn't seen it before- or I just want to snuggle down and be with something familiar and entertaining

Do you own a copy? I do

What is the genre: drama, comedy, horror, etc? Rom Com

Which character do you most relate to? Why? I'm not sure I relate to any character - but I love the fact that the once womanising character (played by Adam Sandler) finds himself smitten by this 'different kind of female'- and has to make her fall in love with him everyday (I won't say why - don't want to spoil the plot if you haven't seen it yet :()

Can you quote a line for us right now? 'There's nothing like a first kiss'

I also love the song that Henry (Adam Sandler) sings about Lucy :)

Regards

LR x

• 2 weeks later...

V for Vendetta!!!!

I watched it so many times one weekend the disc started to melt, I kept pressing play every time it stopped for like 4 days straight. I can pretty much recite every line now.

I could go on for pages saying why I like it so I'll save you all the headache.

P.S.- i'm now on disc 4, they just don't make dvd's like they use to :rolleyes: