Mental Support Community

Who am I and why am I here?

IamLove

This reads like a parable as told by God himself in a book I found very insightful...

The Little Soul

There once was a soul who knew itself to be the light. This was a new soul, and so, anxious for experience. “I am the light,” it said. “I am the light”. Yet all the knowing of it and all the saying of it could not substitute for the experience of it. And in the realm from which this soul emerged, there was nothing but the light. Every soul was grand, every soul was magnificent, and every soul shone with the brilliance of my (God’s) awesome light. And so the little soul in question was as a candle in the sun. In the midst of the grandest light-of which it was a part-it could not see itself, nor experience itself as Who and what it really is.

Now it came to pass that this soul yearned and yearned to know itself. And so great was it’s yearning that I (God) one day said, “Do you know, little one, what you must do to satisfy this yearning of yours?” “Oh, What, God? What? I’ll do anything!” The little soul said.

“You must separate yourself from the rest of us” I (God) answered, “and then you must call upon yourself the darkness”. “What is the darkness, O Holy One?” the little soul asked.

“That which you are not” I (God) replied, and the soul understood. And so this the soul did-removing itself from the All, ‘Yea, going even unto another realm. And in this realm the soul had the power to call into it’s experience all sorts of darkness, and this it did.

Yet in the midst of all the darkness did it cry out “Father, Father, Why hast Thou forsaken me?” Even as have You in your blackest times. Yet I (God) have never forsaken you, but stand by you always, ready to remind you of WHO YOU REALLY ARE; ready, alwayys ready, to call you home.

Therefore, be a Light unto the darkness, and curse it not. And forget not WHO YOU ARE in the moment of your encirclement by that which you are NOT. But do you praise t the creation, even as you seek to change it.

And know that what you do in the time of your greatest trial can be your greatest triumph. For the experience YOU create is a statement of WHO YOU ARE –and Who you want to BE.

-Taken from “Conversations With God” by: Neale Donald Walsh-

I hope this is as meaningful to others as it is to me.....

Please comment..

Edited by IamLove
more info

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Iamlove,

Speaking for myself, it would be much better if you spoke in your own words about your thoughts and feelings without using quotes unless you are quoting something another member said and are responding to it. And, so, I have questions:

1. Are you religious?

2. Are you questioning why you exist?

3. How are you these days?

Allan :confused:

J.T.-If you made a typo and you meant that God does not exist, well I'm sorry to hear that he doesn't in your world because he absolutely does in mine; but the belief or faith is an individual subjective idea so next time you might try politely saying that I don't believe that God exists.[/u This is non-offensive to others and opens up an opportunity for debate or discussion...

But why is it that you don't feel that He exists?

Edited by IamLove
add name

I am very spiriual, religious no; I don't agree with the multitudes of organized religion. I just believe. I am thankful. I just wanted to share this because it was very profound and enlightening for me while I was in a tumultuous time in my life. I had lost myself (identity), this helped me to re-member who I am. I am a-part of the whole from which I came, therefore I am Love. Synergy states the simple truth... The sum of all the parts is greater than the whole. Sorry if this is too complicated... This all requires a lot of thought, one must know that they existed before, and now, and always will to understand the epiphany of this parable. We all chose to be here, are are still choosing this reality- to experience who we are (in comparison of who we are not). When we are faced with a choice we can choose in that moment to make a decision that is "me" or "not me", we may not understand until afterwards that we were choosing "not me" but reflection can lead to learning. Because of this, I realized that many wrong decisions in my life were made when I was not being truly me (or true to self). Thanks for the feed back though.... Love to all...

Many may find these kind of "ramblings" as obsessive. I call it self-actualization. I understand what is needed. I want nothing. I do not fear the possible, I only seek to understand it. Why is the idea that evolution also pertains to your level of conciousness, such a ridiculous idea to so many. We have pretty much leveled off on the physical side of evolution; why then would it not follow that we are evolving now, non-physically (spiritually, metaphysically?). We are more than just physical bodies...

I use my physical body, so therefore I am other than....

Is this irrational, illogical???? Why is it that people get so offended when you are trying to understand what it all means? And even more, why do people get offensive at all when I am only sharing whatever I have recently discovered/contemplated? I am only sharing... wanting input.... wanting to bounce the idea off of another source...

I believe that all is possible, but probability now rules because of human interaction.

Edited by IamLove

Many may find these kind of "ramblings" as obsessive. I call it self-actualization. I understand what is needed. I want nothing. I do not fear the possible, I only seek to understand it. Why is the idea that evolution also pertains to your level of conciousness, such a ridiculous idea to so many. We have pretty much leveled off on the physical side of evolution; why then would it not follow that we are evolving now, non-physically (spiritually, metaphysically?). We are more than just physical bodies...

I use my physical body, so therefore I am other than....

Is this irrational, illogical???? Why is it that people get so offended when you are trying to understand what it all means? And even more, why do people get offensive at all when I am only sharing whatever I have recently discovered/contemplated? I am only sharing... wanting input.... wanting to bounce the idea off of another source...

I believe that all is possible, but probability now rules because of human interaction.

Hi Iamlove, I believe that our physical bodies are just our vehicles, I believe that we are all actually souls, whether I was religious or not I would believe this. We are so much more than our bodies and I think that most people believe that. As far as evolution, I agree that our spirits are constantly evolving, our lives evolve everyday. I don't believe in physical evolution as I believe in creation, as it was in the begininng, is now and ever shall be. But that's just me :rolleyes:

Thank you Ss, you see. I am being bombarded by secular teachings at the public University I attend... I even had a Philosophy Professor that argued why we were only our cerebral cortexs and that there was no thing such as a soul. It gets hard to breathe sometimes when it feels that others are trying to constrict me so... I have to be free.... I do not need thought control. A-men, glad to hear that your faith is strong. Peace & Love to you.

J.T.-If you made a typo and you meant that God does not exist, well I'm sorry to hear that he doesn't in your world because he absolutely does in mine; but the belief or faith is an individual subjective idea so next time you might try politely saying that I don't believe that God exists.[/u This is non-offensive to others and opens up an opportunity for debate or discussion...

But why is it that you don't feel that He exists?

I think you'll find that JT was being polite! She was just giving her opinion, that's all!

I think iamlove was just expressing hers

And I think JT was just expressing hers as well!

Hi IamLove,

I held back answering this earlier because I've always felt there are two particularly difficult topics to discuss, especially online, and those are religion and politics. In fact, I don't think you were trying to talk about 'religion' at all, really, but rather 'faith'.

I personally (have begun to) feel that some sort of 'faith' is going to be necessary for me to reach a place I can call happiness, and that possibly, this is true of (most) people. The thing is, I expect that the actual form of the 'faith' is going to vary at least as much as people do. I am glad that you have one that works for you.

I think the difficulty that we ran into, earlier, is that people have very different experiences with 'religion'. For some, those experiences are too painful for them to easily consider that other people's experiences might be different. In fact, they may retain enough anger that they don't behave gently when it's brought up. However, I doubt that anything that was said was meant as a personal attack on your 'faith'.

For me, my associations with (Western) 'religion' as a child made it less of a refuge for me now, rather than more. Most of the monotheistic 'religions' have, at their core, the need to claim that the others are "wrong". I have a problem with the idea that any working 'faith' could be "wrong". So, for myself, I've tended to look towards Eastern 'religions', like Taoism. But, as I said, I believe in whatever works for the believer!

• 2 weeks later...

Malign, Paula & all... I am sorry, I get so wrapped up in my own mind so often that I do forget to share my ideas or thoughts from an objective point of view... You see, I went through what I call a "dark time", actually very dark... I had lost myself.. I no longer knew who I was, or why I was here; I had lost all hope. (Identity crisis? Depression?) I began grasping for answers as to why I felt this way... I used to believe that life had a purpose for me, but when I didn't know who I was that was very confusing. I started a self-seeking independent research. Mostly reading self-help books, which led to more questions; which led me to faith, which questioned what I believe; which led to meta-physical study, which questioned what is; which led me to the previously discovered "parable" about the little soul..... Now this had a profound and very enlightening effect on me.... In a very intense moment of clarity I realized that I am Love, because I experience existing as a human being, which was an effect of SOME cause, Now some call the first cause God some call him Jehovah, or Allah, or Brahma, etc... but I call this simply Love... I believe that all came from the one source which is a positive energy. Negative energy is even created from the positive, but the latter depends on the former also to know that it exists... Love creates the experience of hate when it is absent. Light creates the experience of dark...etc. This all gets so hard to explain and I know I sound perhaps arrogant, condescending, righteous maybe? I mean no such harm, I only wish to share the path that helped me, one small part of us all (as a human race) to find faith, hope, and love again. It starts with faith, your right Malign, that leads to hope and hope leads to love. Love creates all. all is love. Sorry all for my obsessiveness, but I feel that it is important for me to share my discoveries, no matter how irrational they may seem. Thank you for taking the time to acknowlege me Paula, my biggest weakness is not knowing when to shut up!!!!!:)

I believe you can believe or not to believe. Some do some don't and that's ok. I love God and Jesus. Some people may love motherearth or just be spiritual or some people may not believe at all. whether you do or don't doesn't matter. We all have our own opinions and that's ok. Religion is one of those topics people may or may not believe in. Iamlove was just expressing her love for God and thought she might share it with the forum that's. Jt was expressing herself also, but we need to remeber this is not a debate forum we're here to support one another. I love you all no matter what you believe in or don't :D

Iamlove,

It's great that you have found some that has inspired you so much in your life and has help you . Your intitled to share your opinions as well as others in the community. I am not at all surprised that this will become a hot topic though.

Such as myself, who had grown up in a extreme religious home... NOW, I am not. I am agnostic. And that is me. DO not beleive one way or the other and of it. Nothing can change my mind otherwise. Faith, anything, all of it , in my mind = up to the same thing. However, I do not condone those who believe what they wish. I find if it helps them, then that is good for them.

Best wishes to you, and i am happy you have found that it has worked for you, and you have discovered it helps bring peace in your life.

Cathy

"I held back answering this earlier because I've always felt there are two particularly difficult topics to discuss, especially online, and those are religion and politics."

Well, heck that won't stop me. LOL.

I would be the first person to admit that the fact that I was an atheist for so long had a lot to do with the fact that I was raised by a verbally-abusive Catholic father, and went to an equally abusive Catholic grade school.

Today I believe that atheism was a phase I went through to erase previous programming.

I've found Buddhism is the closest match for me, although I suspect many people would still call me an atheist or agnostic. I used to prefer "non-theist," which was, and still is, much more accurate. The place I've arrived at is a feeling of oneness--of being one with nature and all things…a feeling that we’re all made up of the same remnants of exploded stars…a feeling of unity or force that I call God.

I can't stand the religious industry. They claim that this feeling of oneness can only be achieved through them--and only them, not the other guys. And then, to seal the deal, they teach you to be ashamed so you can be "forgiven," by them, of course.

It's just so cruel. Jesus Christ, it makes me angry.

Hi IamLove, I understand the gist of what Walsh has written, but, as Allan points out, the context as to how this relates to the poster is a little vague. Perhaps by posting the passage, you are answering the question posed in the title of your post? In any case, you have my thanks for sharing your thoughts concerning such a personal topic. People tend not to feel comfortable discussing some of their personal positions about human life so there are few opportunities to do so.

If I were to answer your question for myself, I have no answer that explains my existence in the way that Walsh is able to. I am a man who found this community and joined hoping to address some of my problems which troubled me deeply. But, after sharing my thoughts with the members here, I learned that others had problems of their own, and that talking about these problems helps everyone – both readers and writers - sort them out. When I read posts and browse through the forums, this is why I am here.

Of course, this answer does not delve into the philosophical aspect of who am I and why I am here, but it does keep things neat and tidy in my view. I do not know if there is a God, nor do I know if I have a soul. But, I know that humans exist because I am one. So, I believe it is important to accept what one does not know, and work from there.

I have mentioned that I did try turning to religion, but I never managed to catch on. Certainly I am no expert on Buddhism, but I felt that it was a form of humanism. As far as my own understanding of Buddhism, Enlightenment is a trick. The Teachings explain that Buddha is not above trickery to lure people to the correct path, and that Enlightenment cannot exist without ignorance and vice versa. Thus, to chase after Enlightenment, one would probably start following the Teachings, and by following the Teachings, he would learn that Enlightenment is merely a means to communicate the values of the Teachings. Once I realized that, the rest of the Teachings fell into place in a sense.

Ahhh, to be human. B)