Mental Support Community

anxiety medication working too well?

mscat

I am suppost to take Klonipin 2mg along with night meds before bed, and than two other times a day. I only take them at night though. The problem though is that the medication helps me feel extremely mellow... So mellow that it it hard to wake up , even after drinking a cup up expresso coffee. Yes, I am very calm, and nothing bothers me. i'll smoke a cig. and then this will really throw me off into a tailspin. I won't even hardly be even be able to type anymore... Constanly mispell the words, then have to go back and try again retyiping even the easy words. I like the calming effect though, just not the real la la la effect... Does that make sense? Almost that it works too well? AS if I take a bath that I'd might even drown? Seriously!

Typically I won't usually even take those meds at night becasue of what it does to me, but I know I ought to, just to calm me. However, when I do, it really knocks me on my butt! I know i need them though. Especially if I have to deal with people or anybody . It feel like I can not win! I try to do the right thing, and follow the dr's instructions ! I want to help with the anxiety and frustrations when with everyday situations and people . Maybe it will decrease, the side effects. Maybe it was just the smoking that increased the effects of the medicine , i do not know. just writing about it, has helped.

Hi,

Good to hear that writing about it has helped a little, it can be a disorienting wen meds make u feel like that, and can un nerve u a little. I hope that if u continue with them the effects will calm a little, and leave u more with it, u know wot i mean....i hope.....

take care xx

Perhaps the cigarettes and the caffeine interact badly with your body while you are on these medications. Can you give your doctor a quick call to share your experience with these medications and your caffeine and nicotine intake?

Nicotine has a somewhat similar effect to speed and ritalin as it encourages the brain to enter an "exploitive" mode where your mind focuses on coordinating with the body for particular tasks. This is why speed and other medications with similar effects are used - or abused if you will - to improve focus and concentration.

Thanks for the reponses. I feel this way before the coffee of smoking though... usually after the coffee it is better, and i don't smoke much a day. Regardless, it is still an unwise thing to be doing. Thank you . My Brother drove in my car yesterday out of town to d othe grocery shopping which worked out well. This is a major trip to hell for me .... espeically to someone who stays inside her house and does not like to be arounf others at all, or bright lights, or hear the noise of others:(

I blocked it all out. i shut everything down had a wall around me, and got what I needed and forgot a few things... Oh well, at least it is done, and we are home. My brother complained that it took too long. :o

Hi mscat. Glad to hear you are doing ok. :) My psychiatrist has never given me any anti-anxiety medication; maybe they think I will abuse it? It’s probably best that I never try it, because, knowing me, I would become dependent on it. I don’t understand the casual way in which some doctors prescribe such medication though. My mother went to her family doctor with no diagnosis or referral and came back with a prescription for Xanax, (which I think is pretty irresponsible because it can be highly addictive.)

:mad:Well I am careful when i take it, and I have very bad anxiety. So much that it is extremely difficult to leave the house most of the time. It is a painful experience to leave the house and deal with smart assess like most people. I take the medication only at night, that is it. WOW, so addicting, call me a druggie, and my psych dr, the pusher... have him arrested, cause he's dispensing them out like pez candy.. God forbid, he may just help somebody. DID i mention that I am is therapy as well, and by the same therapist for years? AND they work together? Or does that make any difference to any of you? Since Allen here wants to agree that Meds are addicting and Psych Dr's want to dispense meds out like they are going out of style, or the doctors will go out of Buisness .... Give me a break. I asked one simple question, and you all gave me such negative responses.

I always try to give support and feedback too others on here! I try and be nice. Why can't you guys do the same? what is wrong with that? If you don't like the Anxiety meds then shut the hell up. Thanks! :mad: assholes now u ALL get too see the other ME .

:( Hi Mscat, I hope you're feeling better. I don't think anyone intended to be judgemental towards you, I have read alot of your posts and you are always supportive of others. Maybe you could talk to your dr and he could try you ona different medicine, something that helps the anxiety but doesn't knock you out. That's a difficult situation, needing your medication but not wanting to take it because of the side effects. Hopefully there is something else that will work for you. :)

Just had a bad day , that's all... I tend to get over the inital side effects , it justsucks at first. but if that is what it takes to be calm, then I guess that is what it takes. i still become very agitated easily however, try not to show it. that is the problem. I don't take it out on others, just when things get really bad, i'll take it out on myself. That I needed to do better, and needed to behave a certain way and not to have allowed this to have happend, or have caused such and such to have occured.

My son is out of school for spring break all week. I have no outlet either:eek: Hw won't go back to school until next Tues, and I know That will be a good day for me .... at last to SI and fine peace.

I’m sorry if I offended you. :( I want so much for you to feel better without resorting to si. What I wrote was certainly not directed at you and I would NEVER judge your decision to take the medication. It’s definitely a better alternative than self-injury. Given the title of the post, and what you had written about it previously, I thought we could discuss the possible complications and issues of using anti-anxiety medication--that's all. I sincerely hope you are safe and well.

Edited by Lie_low

I’m sorry if I offended you. :( I want so much for you to feel better without resorting to si. What I wrote was certainly not directed at you and I would NEVER judge your decision to take the medication. It’s definitely a better alternative than self-injury. Given the title of the post, and what you had written about it previously, I thought we could discuss the possible complications and issues of using anti-anxiety medication--that's all. I sincerely hope you are safe and well.

Oh Lie low, that was not you at all dear. My son is home all well... He has special needs and this is what it is.. Not u. Not u or anybody on this board . i'm touchy, to say the least. And as always , taking out my frustrations on everybody, because i have nobody really to do so... not my boy . ANd i'm all alone with him. When I am in a drowsy state from the meds it makes is difficult... I ought to just take only one tablet than two at night. Last night I did not take any of them, just the others. Because I am on others as well, and I do have therapy this am.

I've been a single parent foe nearly 16yrs , and MAtt was diagnosed as having some type of autism at 3 1/2yrs old with cognitive delays. He can be a handful .