Mental Support Community

long-term use of anti-anxiety meds

Berniek

Hi All,

I have had a problem with anxiety/panic disorder for over 10 years, particular on the job as a teacher. Doctor had given me anti-anxiety meds before to use in stressful situations ( in the classroom, job interviews, flying etc); however, I was worried about taking them since I did not want to become dependent on them I have been experiencing stress and anxiety in the class in my new teaching job and decided to try one of the meds my new psychiatrist prescribed. I took 5 mg of Landsen and I felt great in all my classes today. My wife does not want me to get too dependent on the meds, but I felt so great. Is it possible for me to take these kind of meds everyday to help me with teaching. Also, I was just prescribed Paxil, which I had not taken for over a year.

Pat

Hi. I too have been taking meds for anxiety long term and they are now not working as well as they used to, which is of course what happens. I hav had anxiety all my life and it has affected my life dramatically. I feel like I am going mad. Glad to hear that you got a med that makes you feel good and able to function in your situation. Keep us posted as to how you get on with it. I am really anxious to hear how it works for you.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi,

Alll drugs have side effects and that is a fact. It is my opinion that it is better to use non drug methods to reduce anxiety and only go for the prescriptions if all else fails. Therefore, I advocate such things as meditation, yoga, exercise, deep breating and visualizations as a way to reduce anxiety. Read the many excellent articles by our own Dr. Elisha Goldstein on this site and take a look at our self help book.

Allan

Hi Allan I have been using benzodiapines for anxiety as nothing else has worked. I have tried CBT and Exposure therapy but neither has been successful. I need something to take the edge of my anxiety to be able to cope with everyday things. While my dr and I agree this is not the best scenario, at least it allows me to function to a degree. My anxiety doesn't creep up on me in order for me to close it down it just hits full on like a wet fish to the face. I get terrible symptoms and am too scared to go out alone which is due to agoraphobia. My depression doesn't seem to be getting better no matter what meds I use, and I have tried a hell of a lot. I am to the point of giving everything up and staying in bed till I die. I figure it would be a good way ut as I no longer feel like a real person, but I am too chicken. Couldn't get that right either probably. Hate waiting in supermarket lines, hate being out where there are a lot of other people, but this has been made worse by a stint in a pysch ward and I have never recovered from the experience, and will not go there again.

You do a terrific job on this site and it is very informative.I have researched other meds that might do the trick. Can you tell me if you can take more than one antidepressant at a time, to combat depression and the anxiety as I have heard some a/d help with anxiety. Would appreciate your comments. Thanks.