Mental Support Community

dose anyone experience this?

jamiecake2

Since this wave of depression has started I've tried to help myself by trying to think more positive. Lately I think it works but then I have days where I feel ok and am quite happy but then I have days where I'm really depressed. I know about bi-polar disorder and really think this does not fit. I'm down more then anything and my happy days are not manic. I just don't know what is going on and am wondering if anyone else experiences this?

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Jamiecake2,

All of us will get depressed from one time to the next. That is just normal. With treatment a person will improve greatly but will still have some bad moments and even days. So, yes, all of us have experienced this.

It is good that you are trying to think positively but it is more complicated than that. I suggest you go to the forum of "reframing" and learn how to use cognitive behavioral techniques. You see, it is more complicated that trying to think positively. It is a matter of learning to think realistically rather than going along with "automatic" also know as unrealistic and self defeating thoughts.

Allan

jamie, I was diagnosed with rapid-cycling bipolar with psychosis. I NEVER have up days and lots of energy. I have lots of anger and frustration. the docs told me that instead of mania and energy, I suffer from irritability and anxiety....which leave me feeling tired and worn down.

I stay on the depressed side most of the time, and also try to "think" positive thoughts...it does not always work, but it helps...

Hang in there and know that you are not alone.

nancy

• 2 months later...