Mental Support Community

Is this the same as self injury?

Loneranger

Hi

I have never really put myself in the category of ‘self injury’ - because I do not cut or burn myself. I have however - from a very young age - bit myself and banged my head with things or on things. I have never broken my skin with a bite. I have only left bite marks and bruises that I then have to hide. I have never given myself a bad head injury.

Also - more recently (in the last 2 or 3 years) I have beat myself around the face with slaps and punches. Again I have only left the odd bruise.

This kind of behaviour seems to stem from utter frustration with myself. My anger toward myself at these times is off the chart. After this self abuse I will cry and cry and cry. I will actually - show myself some love and compassion at this point. It feels kind of nice.

I know - stupid isn’t it!!!!

I have never mentioned this before. I’m curious about this aspect of my behaviour. Is it familiar to anyone else?

Regards

LR

Hi LR,

It is a form of self injury. Anything that causes deliberate pain or injury to oneself is considered self injury> regardless on how one goes about it. Cutting is the most chosen method, then burning is second, however, hitting, slapping oneself, is also anther way to self harm. Their are many other ways to harm oneself too.

It is actually not the act in itself, it is why the person is doing it> you described excatly the same reasons why a self harmer does it. ANger, comfort, it feels better afterwards, their is a sense of relief once the self harming is over, frustration . All common .

Then you write "I know stupid isn't it" well , no . It serves a purpose doesn't it? It has a meaning? It helps you cope wih your anger? gets it all out? is not hurting anyone?

it's not the best way to cope>

Yeah, I wouldn't call it "stupid". "Stupid" might be doing it and not realizing it's a problem, not wanting to change. But that's not where you are.

What's important is whether you want to change it. You don't actually have to call yourself names just to make a change. In fact, I would bet that after insulting yourself, you're less likely to change, rather than more.

Why not turn it around: "I'm an intelligent person, and I want to handle this another way." Then set out to find other ways. You're intelligent. You'll find them.

hi lr, I don't think it is necessarily the same thing as self injury. I know exactly what you're talking about. It's just pure frustration and anger. I get like that too, I bang my head in walls or hit myself repeatedly in the head, but it's only when I'm so upset and just in moments of complete frustration. I think this is what you're talking about. And I don't think it's stupid, I would call it being emotional. I guess it could be considered injuring yourself but I don't think it is the same as self injury.

hi lr, I don't think it is necessarily the same thing as self injury. I know exactly what you're talking about. It's just pure frustration and anger. I get like that too, I bang my head in walls or hit myself repeatedly in the head, but it's only when I'm so upset and just in moments of complete frustration. I think this is what you're talking about. And I don't think it's stupid, I would call it being emotional. I guess it could be considered injuring yourself but I don't think it is the same as self injury.

It is self injury> Straight out of all the Books, articles and Everything there has to do with self harming. It is anther way of for someone to hurt themselves. "I would call it being emotional" People hurt themselves for being out of control with their emotions> At times. To regain how they are feeling, a sense of control. To feel better, calmer, and it is a release that one is seeking from all those emotions .

I get what smallstar is saying. It only happens in bursts of anger and frustration. I could never cut or burn myself because I feel that I would have to plan that. That would take time to carry out and that’s what is so different. It’s not a slow build up of emotion that I’m releasing in a deliberate way - it is an instant flair up that makes me lose it and I just pound myself there and then - no ‘thought’ goes into it - like ’I’ll just pound my head a bit - and then I’ll feel better’ (it made me chuckle writing that - hope it makes you all chuckle too).

I also get what mscat is saying - being emotional (or over emotional) and hurting myself to regain control. But I see the hurting as part of ‘being out of control’ rather than bringing me back ‘under control’!

Anyway - whatever it is - I am deeply ashamed of it (I’m not making any judgement on anyone else for what they do) that’s just how I feel about it.

I did a Billy Connolly thing at the top there - he says - ‘where we hurt we’re funny’ - or something like that :)

Regards

LR

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, thank god I'm not the only one who does this.

I found this page in a google search. Yay, google!

I started hitting my head with my hand and hitting my head on things because I made myself stop cutting (it was upsetting my loved ones a lot) but didn't entirely replace it with healthy coping skills. So when I'm cornered and I panic, now I do this.

I might have a minor concussion, but there's no visible damage for people to ask about (this seems to be the logic my irrational mind is using). It's definitely self-injury, and for me at least, it's just about as hard to stop.

I feel ashamed about it partly because I lost control, partly because it's self-injury. Partly because it seems to me like such an abnormal thing to do. Not that I'm not trying to stop, but I'm glad I'm not the only one.