Mental Support Community

Depression and food....

concrete_angel

I hope this is the right place to post.. Been debating for the last 30 mins on where it belongs..

This is the thing...

For the last 5 years I have tried to go on a diet.. But after 6 or 7 days.. Depression and anxiety start to set in.. I'm not talking about the feeling the blues about not eating.. I talking about the type that keeps you from not being about to get out of bed or anxiety that takes you into a place that is not pleasant for you or others..

I suffer with this so bad.. that after 2 weeks I have to stop and recover the the next 6 or so weeks from it.. One time I stayed on a diet and lost 60lbs in 8 months.. But after doing that for the 8 month period.. I spend the next 18 months in deep depression and anxiety.. That I could not even work..

I don't know if it has to do with me burning the fat.. and my fat cell have store the anti-depressants from the past in it that I have really bad recation to..

I just wonder what is going on with me...:confused: Has any one had a such hard time as I have in the diet area... Please let me know...

Hi concrete_angel

I think a lot to do with our weight is the medication. The side affects of most medications for people suffering with mental health problems is weight gain. I know only of a few people who have not gained weight, & I mean a few!

I have thought of this situation so many times. You take the medication to help your depression but... then you gain weight by taking the medication, and then... go into a further state of depression, for gaining the weight in the first place! So... basically, you are fighting a loosing battle!

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Concrete_angel and Paula,

Well, first, Concrete, I can assure you that diets are always a bad idea. People just end up gaining weight after losing weight. In fact, they end up gaining more than before. What you need to do, with your MD permission, is start an exercise program. Eat fewer carbohydrates and that could help, but, the main point is to exercise and not eat desserts except for special occasions. Diets are depressing and do not work.

Paula, it is true that many medications in this field do result in weight gain. But, here too, the idea is to get some exercise. Anyway, I know it is frustrating but, I kind of think that it is still better than depression.

Allan :(

Hi Allan,

I beg to disagree with your impression that being fat is better than being depressed. To me, that is the same thing! I've suffered obesity almost all my life and it is depression itself. I went from one eating extreme to the other when several months ago I just "stopped" eating and started to lose weight. I don't know why this reversal in behavior, but I do walk everyday, mainly to ease my work stress, and this may be part of the reason. I used to walk for the exercise but never could lose the weight or control my emotional eating. I'm not going to question this weight loss; I'm just glad it's happening and I will not let anything get in the way of it. Unlike Paula and concrete_angel, I'm lucky that I do not have to take meds for my depression and I would never ever, even if prescribed. Those side effects, to me, are just not worth it!

Edited by karai

I think that fat makes people depressed! I have often wondered that 'what if,' it was the other way round, if fat people was more desired and thin people wasn't? What would our world be like then? I have noticed that a lot of people that have to diet all the time, are always miserable, yet when you see a fat person (Please bear in mind that the expression FAT as being a good word) they are always bubbly and happy! I know who I would stick with!

Hi paula,

Have you ever heard the expression, fat people are jolly? Well, I can tell you for a fact that that is not true. We may ACT jolly, but inside we are miserable! I guess we put on a front to be liked and accepted and to prevent being hurt, even if it means laughing with those who are saying mean things to you about being fat. Go figure...I guess it's a defense mechanism us fat people all learn early in life. Needless to say, it still hurts!

• 3 weeks later...

My husband is fat. Maybe that adds to his problems. Maybe he's also depressed like me, but he hides it by smiling and telling me jokes.

I'm not fat, but I want to be. Because it doesn't matter whether I'm fat or thin. I'd still be depressed!!!

At least when I have extra fat I won't look like a skeleton after I get sick!:D

Hi OCDmom,

Your husband is acting the jolly fat person part but I don't think he is really happy. If he has been heavy all his life then you may be right, he could be depressed. I hope you don't really mean it when you say you want to be fat. Besides causing a lot of problems for yourself, health and otherwise, believe me, the whole world out there will make sure you know you are fat! and make sure you feel bad about it too, and that it's all your fault! I guess I wouldn't want to look like a skeleton either, but I'd rather look like a skeleton than to have you experience my miserable fat life, ever!

Edited by karai

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Karai and all,

I would agree with your disagreement if I had said that being fat is better than being depressed. However, that is not what I said nor is it what I meant. What I meant was that it is better to risk gaining a few pounds as a result of anti depressant medications (if they are helping) than to be depressed. That does not mean that it is better to be fat than depressed. You are correct, most (if not all) obese people are depressed. "Fat is jolly" has never been true.

One of the symptoms of depression is either a large weight gain or a large weight loss. As a result of depression, some people eat a lot more or eat a lot less. People are just different this way.

Isn't it interesting how easy it is for ALL of us to misunderstand? Human communication is so difficult.

Did any of you read the article I posted the other day about communication problems and perception?

Allan :D

I think that fat makes people depressed!
paula so right you are!! I am fat and uncomfortable in my skin. I realize I gained all this weight to cover up my body and hide. suffering from PTSD and being clinically depressed to name some of my diagnosis, I agree that to be too fat makes you more depressed and the people who are fat say they are happy......well I think they are lying to themselves if they really believe that.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Karai,

Oh, yes, those old experiences can be awful when they come popping back, I know.

No problem, I just wanted to clarify. In fact, thanks for helping me clear up what many people could have misunderstood.

Thanks,

Allan :D