smallstar

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest ASchwartz

We are here and people are responding. I wonder if, in this forum or this thread, its been a while since a problem or issue has been brought up? I don't know, just asking??

Allan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Allan and good to hear from you:D

I just posted about you being the one who makes topic's sticky notes. Someone pointed out that amazon.com charges exorbitant prices for the CBT book by Obitz and Craske that I always recommend and we wanted to make that thread a sticky to warn people. Amazon is charging more than five times the actual cost of the book for USED copies. I don't want people getting ripped off and mad at me or others so maybe I'll start a new warning thread about it and if you think it merits a sticky please make it one. Thanks and I hope all is well in your life:)

• 1 month later...

Hi Alan,

I posted on that thread Cynthia mentioned also about amazon ripping people off when buying the Obitz/Craske CBT book. I think it is an awesome book but not worth the exhorbitant prices Amazon charges though I notice they have come down a bit recently since someone commented on the amazon website about it being over priced there.

Also you may be right about these threads getting diluted with checking in notes and time for some new ones. Hope this finds you well.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Tmays and Cynthia,

I know, Amazon, which was know for selling at lower prices, has now become very expensive, outrageously so. There are diverse prices on those types of sites. You might take a look and Barnes and Noble: http://www.bn.com and see if they are any better? Anyone have ideas about this? Discout book websites?

Allan

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think that coping is more a matter of desire than skill. Yes, you have to have strategies and you will learn new ones along your way. But if you don't really have the desire to get past whatever you are experiencing than no strategy is going to work. Instead of asking why you can't get through something, you should be asking why you won't. I think it's really the why that's important not the how.:)

• 2 weeks later...

How do you balance coping mechanisms with life?

For example, when I'm stressed, my usual coping mechanism is to spend time by myself. During this time I'll research things I'm interested in or maybe go window shopping.

Yet, during this time, I find things like going to class and studying difficult. I simply can't focus and when I can focus it's usually like only one to two hours before I start to feel tired and can't.

I also become more anxious around people when I'm stressed...

For me it is a habit now. I simply walk out of the situation and counter my thoughts in a TEA form and then once I get a handle on things (usually after about five minutes) I am able to get on with things. It took practice initially but not as long as you'd think (a few months). So thankful that I invested the time in myself:)

• 1 month later...
I think that coping is more a matter of desire than skill. Yes, you have to have strategies and you will learn new ones along your way. But if you don't really have the desire to get past whatever you are experiencing than no strategy is going to work. Instead of asking why you can't get through something, you should be asking why you won't. I think it's really the why that's important not the how.:)

Post of the year so far :o

For me it is a habit now. I simply walk out of the situation and counter my thoughts in a TEA form and then once I get a handle on things (usually after about five minutes) I am able to get on with things. It took practice initially but not as long as you'd think (a few months). So thankful that I invested the time in myself:)

I would echo Cynthia's sentiments and sometimes I don't even have to walk out as it is becoming my natural response.

It is not easy to cater to one's own desires, that's what the rest of us are here for :o

I myself (contrary to how it may seem sometimes), do experience difficulties in coping but I make every effort to make my distress as short lived as possible. Sometimes this requires me to look at myself as someone else as I am better at solving other's problems than my own. However, when (not if) I get myself in the right frame of mind (required for all endeavors), I can treat myself like a (generic) person in need. A person who is separate from the emotional restrictions of the situation.

It works for me:p

• 1 month later...

Frazzled, I love your post and it brought back memories. Before I got a handle on dealing with my anxiety I was always amazing at helping others deal with things but horrible when it came to helping myself or heeding my own advice. I almost forgot how I used to be until I read your missive. thanks!