Mental Support Community

Favorite Song Anyone?

OCDmom

• 1 month later...

You guys are way to Americanized/westernized... we need some savor (flavor) in here:D:D:

Anything from Ladysmith Black Mambazo (South African- Zulu)

Buena Vista Social Club (Cuban- Havana)

Ricardo Lemvo- Senegal

Cesaria Evora (Cape Verde off the coast western Africa)

Benny More (Cuba-- Mata Siguaraya)

nuff said!:)

Heh, well, my selection used to be a bit more broad (I even had a Ladysmith Black Mambazo CD) before my (soon-to-be-ex-, deo gratia) wife had a yard sale during one of my extended absences. A third of my collection of CDs disappeared that day.

One assumes that people preferred the more savor-y selections. :-P

I love "Killing me softly" by The Fugees also "Fields of Gold" by Sting

also "Scorn not his Simplicity" by Phil Coulter, the version sung by Luke Kelly (of The Dubliners), it give me goosebumps. It was written by Phil about his disabled son.

"Dubliners Scorn Not His Simplicity lyrics"

See the child

With the golden hair

But eyes that show the emptiness inside

Do we know

Can we understand just how he feels

Or have we really tried

See him now

As he stands alone

And watches children play a children's game

Simple child

He looks almost like the others

Yet they know he's not the same

Chorus:

Scorn not his simplicity

But rather try to love him all the more

Scorn not his simplicity

Oh no

Oh no

See him stare

Not recognizing the kind face

That only yesterday he loved

The loving face

Of a mother who can't understand what she's been guilty of

How she cried tears of happiness

The day the doctor told her it's a boy

Now she cries tears of helplessness

And thinks of all the things he can't enjoy

Chorus

Only he knows how to face the future hopefully

Surrounded by despair

He won't ask for your pity or your sympathy

But surely you should care

Chorus

Goose

Edited by goose
addition

Goose,

This was a powerful song... very touching. Reminds me of Eric Clapton's song after his son died and even the Butterfly Kisses. It was moving!

Thanks for sharing!

Malign, in our mutiny now that Allan is on vacation, we will play all sorts of music at the party Mark was given the wrong address to (hope he's enjoying the Redneck humor).

And yes, I assume everyone wants savory-y music. I've not been able to enjoy some music tho, such as the more highly abstract jazz.

Yes, "Tears in Heaven" was a beautiful, sad and moving song.

I love music and will listen to just about anything except for hard rock and super twangy country. My favorite music are emotional kinds of songs, soft and gentle on the ears. The older I get the more I like classical, but not the super opera-y type of stuff. I think I mentioned before that I adore Josh Groban's music. I could write pages about that man's voice...

Very favorite song? Probably "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon and Garfunkel. Beautiful song. Beautiful lyrics.

The song that will always be one of my favorites comes from the Celtic Women collection called Beyond the Sea... Both me and my husband enjoyed Celtic music and it was played at his service when we lost him in the line of duty. I play it now when I get really down and have a really bad day to help me deal with my loss.

also "Scorn not his Simplicity" by Phil Coulter, the version sung by Luke Kelly (of The Dubliners), it give me goosebumps. It was written by Phil about his disabled son.

Goose... thank you so very much for introducing me to this song. I had never heard of it. I cried as I listened to it with my 3rd ear. I do a lot of work with children having a severe emotional and behavioral disorder-- the songs speaks to the lives of the most vulnerable of humanity-- children. I'm listening to it as I type these words and I feel such emotion welling up within me. Thanks so much for this gift!!!

I think I find it particularly poignant because I have a son with learning and behavioural difficulties. Glad you like it.

Goose

After reading about what others wrote on this song, it peeked my interest up. I too , went ahead and listened to the song. I have a son who is developmentally delayed and on the autistic spectrum > Raised him on my own for over 16 years now. I cried my eyes out, then listened one more time . It is heartwrenching, but beautiful too. thank you, for sharing this song with us. it goes to straight to the heart, and the wordsI felt like it was about my own child.

Cathy

• 2 weeks later...

See the child

With the golden hair

But eyes that show the emptiness inside

Do we know

Can we understand just how he feels

Or have we really tried

See him now

As he stands alone

And watches children play a children's game

Simple child

He looks almost like the others

Yet they know he's not the same

Chorus:

Scorn not his simplicity

But rather try to love him all the more

Scorn not his simplicity

Oh no

Oh no

See him stare

Not recognizing the kind face

That only yesterday he loved

The loving face

Of a mother who can't understand what she's been guilty of

How she cried tears of happiness

The day the doctor told her it's a boy

Now she cries tears of helplessness

And thinks of all the things he can't enjoy

Chorus

Only he knows how to face the future hopefully

Surrounded by despair

He won't ask for your pity or your sympathy

But surely you should care

Chorus

Goose

As many times I've now listened to this song, I still can't get through it without tears. Tears for my own deverlopmentally delayed child. This song hits me at a whole different level, straight to the heart.

My son , he actually had very blonde , nearly white/golden hair as a very young child.

He always passess kids playing outdside , he does not even ask anymore to join in.

YEP this song, always brings me to tears, on such a highly personal level. Yet I continue to listen , i am take back by the beauty and sadness of the words and the man who sings the song so beautiful.

Goose, I am looking for this song now. Do you know anyway that I can specifically find it?

thanks ,

mscat

Hi MsCat

You know when I posted about this song originally, I wanted to ask you to listen to it as I knew about your son (from other posts), but I was afraid it would upset you too much. I really hope that it doesn't disturb you too much. To me the words come from a person who really knows what it feels like, and that can be comforting.

"Scorn not his Simplicity" is a song written by the Irish songwriter Phil Coulter.

The Song has been performed by several Irish musicians.

" History of the song

Phil Coulter's first son was born with Down's syndrome, several months later he wrote the song Scorn not his Simplicity about his experiences with his son's disorder. He first played the song to Luke Kelly. Because of the personal essence of the song Luke Kelly felt that the song should not be sung except for special occasions, and not on every performance."

Luke Kelly who sang that version of the song, died a number of years ago from a brain tumor. He was part of a group called The Dubliners. I have a cd called "The Best of Luke Kelly" and the song is on there. I bought it here in Ireland a number of years ago. I found the album for you on Amazon, you can download or buy the album (Too too expensive to buy - can't believe the price they are charging). You can also just download the individual track if you like.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Luke-Kelly/dp/B0006SGEWY

There is another version by Sinéad O'Connor if you want to check that one out on you-tube, but personally I prefer Luke Kelly's version.

Best wishes

Goose

Edited by goose

Hi MsCat

You know when I posted about this song originally, I wanted to ask you to listen to it as I knew about your son (from other posts), but I was afraid it would upset you too much. I really hope that it doesn't disturb you too much. To me the words come from a person who really knows what it feels like, and that can be comforting.

"Scorn not his Simplicity" is a song written by the Irish songwriter Phil Coulter.

The Song has been performed by several Irish musicians.

" History of the song

Phil Coulter's first son was born with Down's syndrome, several months later he wrote the song Scorn not his Simplicity about his experiences with his son's disorder. He first played the song to Luke Kelly. Because of the personal essence of the song Luke Kelly felt that the song should not be sung except for special occasions, and not on every performance."

Luke Kelly who sang that version of the song, died a number of years ago from a brain tumor. He was part of a group called The Dubliners. I have a cd called "The Best of Luke Kelly" and the song is on there. I bought it here in Ireland a number of years ago. I found the album for you on Amazon, you can download or buy the album (Too too expensive to buy - can't believe the price they are charging). You can also just download the individual track if you like.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Luke-Kelly/dp/B0006SGEWY

There is another version by Sinéad O'Connor if you want to check that one out on you-tube, but personally I prefer Luke Kelly's version.

Best wishes

Goose

Thank you, goose for this information. I actually did start to do a little research regarding luke Kelly. I knew he had died, and the song was about a child with DS. Now that I know the album's name , i'll try and hunt it down here in the states .Amazon was where I had seen the Dubliners Cd's . Maybe ebay is anther way to look. I like the Luke Kelly version , his voice is amazing. Everytime i think of this song I get goosebumps. Then i'll listen to it and tears still come streaming down my face. But it is not in a bad way, it is because it touches me. ANd I feel the powerful message in the music and lyrics. AND I can relate to the song on a very personal, emotional, parental, way. Once I have the song, I am going to share it with my sons High School teacher. She has been teaching special needs kids for years. I am certain the song will have a impact on her.

I have a new blog posted just yesterday. I have a couple little pictures too. my son is there. The golden haired boy.

I remember a song by America. Do you know this?

Mscat, Suzie. Mscat Sam. Do the jitterbug down in Mscatland and they shimmy. Sue is so skinny....

And they whirl and they twirl in a tango. Singing and jingling the jango. Floating like the heavens above. Looks like Mscat love....;)

:D so cute OCDmom .Thanks for bringing a smile to my face today .