Mental Support Community

They're free

malign

You know, I don't know if I'm just getting old, or whether I've always been a grammar nazi, but sometimes, after a really long one-sentence post leaves me completely breathless, kind of like this one, that runs on for a while and just keeps going and going, I'm tempted to introduce the younger generation to the advantages of the lowly period. ;-)

I think the tendency is to write/type as fast as our thoughts flow and that's why the run-on sentences. I'm guilty of that too, but I tend to go back and edit grammatical errors a lot (sometimes several times; thank God for that Edit button!), not that I catch them all! Am I a grammar nazi too? No, not as learned as malign!

Edited by karai

If your talking about punctuation, I am one of the worst for it! I get so frustrated at times at putting punctuation where I think it goes, and it does not go where I've put it? I always ask my son to check my punctuation if I'm sending formal/informal emails, say to my Solicitor or my Advocate. It makes things so damn hard with me being Dyslexic as well but... mustn't complain!

Guilty as charged too. sorry guys!

Maths is my gift, i think my English teacher used to run out of the school when she saw me coming! I have had to use an english dictionary when i have posted at times( Yes, i admitted it!):(

Sorry if i have rammbled since i have joined too, I have been missing for at least 5 months! I am on my way back though.:)

Tracey

Edited by tracey.f

Well, first, I think I should apologize to anyone who took my post personally. There's a reason I didn't mention any names, and that is that I had no desire to hurt anyone's feelings or to discourage anyone from expressing themselves in whatever way works best for them at the time.

In fact, the kind of post that I specifically complained about is probably a symptom of the kind of swirling thoughts that bring some people to post here in the first place.

I almost didn't use the phrase 'grammar nazi' at all; I should simply have said that I have a tendency to obsess over grammar. And having thought about it, since it's my choice whether to slog through a long stream-of-consciousness post, it's not really fair for me to complain about it afterwards.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Malign,

Well, i neber takes anting pownsonally becus i know i spels an wite jist poifucly. So im no indulte t'awl.

i hops ebeyone has a guud doy...:D

alan, allan, alain, allen, allun oh well:D

• 2 months later...

I have the toughest struggles in my writing. First the thought comes to me in one Spanish, then I need to wash and rinse it out, then it's put in the dryer and finally comes out in English, Then I read what someone posts, have to launder it to understand it and then relaunder it to get it out so others can understand.

The worst part is that you English speakers have no idea how hard it is to learn this language... it makes no sense much of the time :confused:(e.g., "i" before "e" except after "c") so my syntax, grammar and sentence structure sometimes escapes me. What the heck is wrong with you people!!!!!!!!!:)

We did it deliberately, to make it harder for people to learn English. ;-)

Nah, it's because we pretty much took whatever languages came, Saxon, Celtic, Norman, French, and then pretended that our syntax was like Latin-based languages when in fact it's Germanic ...

I'm impressed by your linguistic appliances, though! Wish my dryer could translate for me ... Mine barely dries my clothes.

Of course, the problem is complicated by the repeated efforts to expand the language (notwithstanding redneck definitions that don't make it onto Websters):

10 Words That Don't Exist, But Should

1. AQUADEXTROUS (ak wa deks'trus) adj. Possessing the ability to turn the bathtub tap on and off with your toes.

2. CARPERPETUATION (kar'pur pet u a shun) n. The act, when vacuuming, of running over a string or a piece of lint at least a dozen times, reaching over and picking it up, examining it, then putting it back down to give the vacuum one more chance.

3. DISCONFECT (dis kon fekt') v. To sterilize the piece of confection (lollipop) you dropped on the floor by blowing on it, assuming this will somehow 'remove' all the germs.

4. ELBONICS (el bon'iks) n. The actions of two people maneuvering for one armrest in a movie theater.

5. FRUST (frust) n. The small line of debris that refuses to be swept onto the dust pan and keeps backing a person across the room until he finally decides to give up and sweep it under the rug.

6. LACTOMANGULATION (lak' to man gyu lay' shun) n. Manhandling the "open here" spout on a milk container so badly that one has to resort to the 'illegal' side.

7. PEPPIER (peph ee ay') n. The waiter at a fancy restaurant whose sole purpose seems to be walking around asking diners if they want fresh ground pepper.

8.PHONESIA (fo nee' zhuh) n. The affliction of dialing a phone number and forgetting whom you were calling just as they answer.

9. PUPKUS (pup'kus) n. The moist residue left on a window after a dog presses its nose to it.

10. TELECRASTINATION (tel e kras tin ay' shun) n. The act of always letting the phone ring at least twice before you pick it up, even when you're only six inches away.

They're good. Didn't quite manage to smile, but got slightly close. I am a bit of a stickler for grammer when I'm down, but when I am up and have alot to say, I guess I am pretty guilty ofgoingonandonaboutonespecificsubjectwithoutanypunctuation. And the occasional misspelink.

I think I am worse for spelling to be honest, if I am reading a magazine and notice a typo it's all I can see on the page lmao annoys the hell out of me, and I ALWAYS notice them. I'm happy as long as the spelling looks right to me, not too bothered if it is grammatically incorrect or misspelt, and long as it looks right!!

A writer died and was given the option of going to heaven or hell.

She decided to check out each place first. As the writer descended into the fiery pits, she saw row upon row of writers chained to their desks in a steaming sweatshop. As they worked, they were repeatedly whipped with thorny lashes.

"Oh my," said the writer. "Let me see heaven now."

A few moments later, as she ascended into heaven, she saw rows of writers, chained to their desks in a steaming sweatshop. As they worked, they, too, were whipped with thorny lashes.

"Wait a minute," said the writer. "This is just as bad as hell!"

"Oh no, it's not," replied an unseen voice. "Here, your work gets published."

A linguistics professor was lecturing to his English class one day. "In English," he said, "a double negative forms a positive. In some languages, though, such as Russian, a double negative is still a negative. However, there is no language wherein a double positive can form a negative."

A voice from the back of the room piped up, "Yeah, right."

"Stream-of-consciousness" is an imitation of thought processes within the brain of one, like an internal conversation (and, hopefully, a conversation which will stimulate and engage the reader).