Mental Support Community

Psychiatrist & wrong diagnoses!

Hi All

Long time no see! I have just come out of hospital after nearly three weeks. I have just been initially diagnosed with Schizophrenia as well as changing from Bi-Polar to Major Depression among other illnesses. It has annoyed me that they have been treating me for Bi-Polar for 2 1/2yrs or 3 1/2yrs can't remember, when all along I have been suffering from Major depression and Schizophrenic.

Am I suffering these illnesses or are they going to say in the future that it is something else instead?

I would really appreciate your views on this!

Paula! Welcome back. I haven't seen green writing in ages.

How important is it that they find the right words as labels?

Granted, it probably affects what medications they use on you, but from what I understand, it's hard to distinguish depression and bipolar, for instance.

More importantly, are you feeling any better now? If so, who cares what they're calling it, these days? :-)

Hi Malign and Thank you for your concern.

To be honest, I am concerned because if it is Major Depression and Schizophrenia then, I have been taking all the wrong medication for all this time and my suicidal thoughts, I have been trying to deal with all by myself as they have been diagnosing me for the wrong illness!

As I look at it, how am I supposed to get well with the wrong diagnoses! These so called Doctors/Psychiatrist are supposed to know their job are they not? Lets face it, they get well compensated for what they do without treating you for something that you do not suffer with. We are not Guinea pigs, but I often wonder if that is exactly what we are...

I don't know about you, Paula, but despite being furry and having a short tail, I'm a bit too big to be a guinea pig. :-)

I know what you're saying. It's even harder to accept when you're paying the experts, but to call psychology a science, so far, is a bit of a stretch. They're just hoping to make as many people feel better as possible, and I'm sure they don't always get it right the first time, and sometimes, the first few times.

Are you feeling better now, though? You do sound more like your old self.

Awe, Thank you Findingmyway! It's nice to be missed! I missed you too!

Malign, here in the UK we pay Insurance for our Health care on a weekly/monthly/quarterly/annually basis etc, so... we can expect shit happening but... not for 2/3 1/2yrs. were talking about someone's health here!

What would you do if a doctor told you that you had three yrs to live and then after 2 1/2yrs said "SORRY, MY MISTAKE, GOT THAT WRONG, YOU HAVE IRRITABLE BOWEL?" I know it is not on the same lines as that but... they screw us out of enough money to begin with, without diagnosing you wrongly!

What do others think?

I'd probably take a dump all over him. ;-)

Yeah, I can understand that you're frustrated with your treatment. People always tell me I need to look on the bright side more; maybe I was overdoing it. :-)

No disrespect to you malign, I understand clearly what your saying but... I hope you understand me crystal clear at what I'm saying too?

The point is... you cannot gamble or rather faff about with people's lives. The medication that I've been on in the past could off been doing me more harm than good, fortunately, it hasn't. I've always been a mad head Ha!

Thank you John for your reply!

It can be very maddening to be wrongly diagnosed like myself but... shit happens doesn't it! At the end of the day, were not the one's who's diagnosing. We put our trust in these people and they can't even get a diagnoses right?

The point that I am trying to get across is... if in doubt, get a second opinion!

Hi Paula, :) I have missed you, how are you ?

Sorry to hear you were in hospital, i don't like going in myself but i'm going to have to go to london sometime soon.

I have felt like a science experiment in the past and i do right now actually but thats another story!

I was first diagnosed with depression, then PND with personality problems (i only found that one out when i got a copy of my psychiatric file recently)

I was finally told i had bipolar 1, rapid cycling after being in hospital in london. The big one was that i have had this illness since i was 13yrs old and i was never given the help that i tried to get when i saw my family doctor at 16-19yrs.

Mistakes happen i guess, but i definitely agree with you.

If in doubt ask for a second opinion and never be afraid to ask questions either.

My new Pdoc looks shocked when i ask her things, like i shouldn't be asking her anything. She didn't like that much :)

Hope your ok,

Hugs Tracey

• 4 weeks later...

Most of in the field consider ourselves very good diagnosticians, able to split hairs when necessary... but, we're rarely 100% correct! I've made many a mistake. ADHD can look like Bipolar Disorder in children.... then you've got Hypothyroidism (myxedema madness) clinically presenting as delirium and psychosis, or Hyperthyroidism (Graves disease) can present with anxiety, shortness of breath, sleep problems, and emotional lability-- which now looks more like a mood and anxiety disorder.

I read a study once that indicated that where one trains can determine how one looks at an illness and which diagnosis is most given. Mechanics misdiagnose, as do orthopedic surgeons, plumbers, electricians, software programmers and those Geek guys at best Buy--- few are immune, no matter how much is paid to them.

I'm sorry you've been down this long, painful, difficult road for so long. The ugly truth is that the diagnosis may again change (God forbid!!). I think Malign's question is the key one-- are you feeling better now? If you are then this may be the more accurate diagnosis.

Again, I'm so sorry for this development:(... hopefully this will be the end of the "experimental" road and the last trip you take to the hospital.

Edited by David O

Paula, I am just now seeing this thread ! My gosh , where have I been ? How frustrating ! However, What i've learned through the Yrs. of going to professionals and being in treatment , is their is such an overlap in conditions and behavioral characteristics , diagnoses , and treatments , from one Psychatrist to a totally different one, can and sometimes miss a important fact , clue, sign, development, symtom in a patient that clearly is there, however the Dr. is not picking up on it . I read a story on a woman diagnosed as having what you have been now DX with > she had been DX as having this for over 20 years.

Then a different DR comes into her life and says to her, this is not what you have, you have Borderline Personality Disorder .All those years, and hospitalizations, medications ! to me it is mind boggling how professionals could miss this for years , and continue to misdiagnose patients .

IMO, i feel it is wise to have a second opinion. It makes me wonder about myself too. What if? Could all those different professionals have been wrong too?

The medications ? However , the Psychatrist I now see is very good, he knows how and what to look for from bloodwork and what it says , certain chemicals in the brain are low , what it means and how it effects the brain, and body. Even so, I would be very upset to find out too, being treated for a illness, then to come and find out later that it is not the right treatment given, so "I am not feeling better"

Now that if this is what is going on , your on your way to feeling better, correct? I wish you the best, Paula. You deserve to feel better! to be happy and to be well. no more suffering. I am very sorry this has happened to you. Perhaps the hospitalization stay was a good thing. Now you will be treated and stablized so you can start to be more functional and happy.

I wish you the best.

Cathy

Thankyou mscat and DavidO for your comforting words! I too hope they have got the diagnosis right!

I have just been put on a new lot of meds again with all my other meds, Venlafaxine 75mg they are starting me of on then they will see how I will cope with it then they have told me they will increase the dosage till they feel they have got the right one. So... I still feel like they are experimenting with my health!

It makes you think how many meds you need to stabilize your health, to feel a bit normal if you know what I mean?

Hi mscat

Up to now, fingers crossed, I am doing fine. It is early days yet as I have only been on these new meds since Friday. I have to see my Psychiatrist again in Three weeks and I will know either way by then whether they are ok or not suited. If they are doing me fine then he will increase the dosage to 150mg and see how I get on with that?

Goodness, paula, it has been a while! Each time I see your posts you bring some good news. Like everyone else, I understand the basis of your frustration, but you have developed a relationship with these people who treat you even if you do not like how you reached this point in your treatment. Try to follow malign's advice to look at the brighter side of things. For example, what can you do now?

Edited by kaudio

Hi Kaudio

Goodness, paula, it has been a while! Each time I see your posts you bring some good news. Like everyone else, I understand the basis of your frustration, but you have developed a relationship with these people who treat you even if you do not like how you reached this point in your treatment. Try to follow malign's advice to look at the brighter side of things. For example, what can you do now?

Yes it has been some time hasn't it, didn't realise how long? I think I'm one of the three kings bearing good gifts, I wish!