Mental Support Community

Do you hate those depression commercials too?

karai

It was almost midnight on Saturday and I just "got up". Yes, I did one of those fall asleep in front of the t.v. (actually my laptop) kind of thing, maybe for about 20 minutes or so. I opened my eyes and there on the tv was that Cymbalta commercial and I realized that I really hate seeing those Rx ads, especially those depression ones. You know, the ones that says stuff like "this is what depression looks like"? I get uncomfortable and nervous seeing it, esp. when somebody (family) is in the room w/ me watching the same commercial. I'm afraid they are going to find out that I am depressed and am seeing a T when I haven't told most anybody anything. It's like they will see me in those commercials, even tho' I put up a pretty good front. And I don't know why I feel uncomfortable even when I'm watching tv by myself, like right now. Am I taking these commercials too personally? I don't identify w/ the commercials, esp. since it's all about getting you to ask your dr. for a specific drug, which I will not take. Or am I uncomfortable seeing the depressed person they show? Is that what I looked like? Or maybe I don't want to be reminded how it feels to be depressed? I don't know but I want to turn the channel whenever those stupid commercials come on, but then the other channels have the same commercials too! I'm remembering that stupid commerical and I think one of the reasons I hate those commercials, right now at least, is that I am beginning to feel depressed, my mood is heading south. (God, I hate this feeling, this empty, heavy, hollow feeling), all because I saw that stupid commercial! I'm pretty sure it wasn't a dream that caused this (I haven't dreamt in years--I don't sleep long enough!). I was doing pretty well for a couple of weeks until just now, when I woke up from my little snooze!

We don't get those type of commercials here - I can't imagine what it must feel like watching them.

I know when I am depressed I am hypersensitive to everything. I choose the activities that I do, books that I read and tv programmes that I watch very carefully at these times. I love reading crime fiction for example, but when I'm feeling low I avoid reading them because they upset me. I tend to watch comedy to try and keep my mood stable at these times.

But in the case of commercials, you cannot control what will come up on the screen next. Do they consider that there are vulnerable people out there. I wonder what the regulations about this type of advertising is?

Goose

Hey Goose and Karai,

I'm not fond of those commercials either, and really wish they'd be removed but I think that might be a hard road to go down.

It's a rather recent thing in the United States that the drug manufacturing companies have been able to put print, TV, and radio advertising out. As a result there are many many people who will go to their doctor(s) and request a particular drug based on this advertising too.

There has been some discussion that the commercials should be removed, but the drug company lobby in our governmental system is extremely rich and powerful. And that's what counts some days, unfortunately.

I may cause a stir with this, but I think that here in the US we have way too many of us taking way too many drugs for things that they could quite possibly control or learn to work with on our own. Sometimes even diet can affect someone in a positive or negative way and changes in diet can help improve one's situation.

I do agree though that there are times when a drug is the only answer, I just think here we're all too quick to say "give me a pill" to fix whatever is wrong with me. I personally did that with anti-depressants several years ago. It helped for a time, but after a while, well, honestly it didn't and my general health was affected. Fortunately I recognized it myself and made the decision to get off the meds. And so far, knock on my wooden head, I'm doing pretty OK.

Hi Goose and confuzzed,

You may be right about being esp. vulnerable when in a low mood; that was what was happening to me that night. I never did like those commercials but I was always able to ignore them. It's just that Sunday night, it popped up just when I was waking up from my short nap. Nice to be blasted w/ those images and words! I guess I was extra sensitive. Well, just thank God that it doesn't pop up on my laptop. Except for a few shows, I pretty much use the tv as background noise--a habit I have stopped! Now I listen to the radio while on the internet, or doing other activities. :)

Guest ASchwartz

Confuzzed, Karai and every one,

Mes alone are never the answer. If meds are needed, and that is "if," they should be combined with psychotherapy, either CBT or Psychodynamic, but there is no "cure" in pills, that is for sure.

Allan :)

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Smallstar,

Good question. In my opinion, everyone can be helped with therapy. Now, please understand, I am sticking my head way, way out with that opinion.:)

But, to be serious, I do believe that most people can be helped with one type of therapy or another. Here is what I mean:

Some people do better with the old type of talking therapy also called psychodynamic therapy. But, it is not for everyone. Other people do better with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. There is also Dialectical Behavior Therapy that is similar to CBT but also has meditation and relaxation built into it.

Then, there is EMDR and that is especially good for people who have been through a terrible trauma. I have known a couple of firemen who went through terrible trauma and really were helped by EMDR.

Sometimes a person needs to take medicine to help them benefit from the therapy and can go off the medicine later.

Anyway, there is no one therapy and there is enough variety to meets the needs of enough types of people so that everyone can benefit if they are getting the right therapy for them.

Good question and I would like to hear what you think and what others think about this.

Allan :)

I remember a time when drug manufacturers would come to the hospital and take all of us on the clinical team out to dinner, give us pens, cups, post-it notes and even send us on trips at their expense. It soon became a moral, ethical and legal issue as it was seen as buying clinician's loyalties at the expense of what was best for the pateint-- the trips ended, the dinners stopped and the cups became pens and post-it notes. Then came the new commercials and advertisements hoping to influence the consumer to influence the MD by asking about Cimbalta, or Paxil, or Nexium!

On another note, I agree with confuzzed, I think we have become a nation of over-therapized people (excessive talking therapies and meds) whose self reliance, problem solving capacities and emotional resilience has been weakened by the couch! While I would never minimize or diminish anyone's pain and hardship, I'm also not above looking at a client and with great compassion, sincerity and honesty, suggesting that 5 days volunteering at a soup kitchen or animal shelter may be more therapeutic, healing and perspective rendering than 10 sessions with me.:eek::eek:

I could go on ad nauseam , but they would likely send me back to Latin America to suffer just a little bit more.:)

Edited by David O

Hi Smallstar

I totally understand how you feel. How many sessions of therapy did you have?. My experience was that I was incredibly anxious and distracted during my sessions. And for the whole week leading up to my appointments. This went on for about 8 sessions. The therapist did say to me that I had trust issues. I found the sessions incredibly painful at first, it seemed that the 'cure' was worse than the 'disease'. But and there is a but, now that I have settled with the therapist I am certainly seeing the benefits. I'm not saying it is easy but I do see the progress I am making however slow.

I would advise you to keep at it and try not to judge yourself so harshly.

Goose

Smallstar,

I did have a thought after reading your posts and other posts you've written. I would never pretend that this is as effective as face-to-face contact, but it could definitely make a difference as a starting point. For awhile I wanted to expand our work into conducting family/parent coaching (very popular right now and also frequently much, much more effective than therapy), much of which occurs via phone and e-mail.

I know you write in quiet a bit and offer encouragement and support to many. If you could summarize your concerns into 1-3 sentence bullets (maybe a max of 3-4 bullets), what would they be? Hopefully, by doing this it can help you clarify and help us to better see what the struggles are in a nutshell. You likely have done all of this in you various posts, but have not done so in one post with the requisite that you force yourself to develop a concise, coherent and meaningful "list".

What do you think?

Edited by David O

Smallstar,

The thought never crossed my mind. It's hard to mind read when all we have are peckings on a keyboard and not facials expressions and voice to also help us understand what is being said.

Not to worry!:D You were very kind to write back.

However, I do have some pit bull qualities--- what do you think about what I suggested. It's OK if you're uncomfortable with it, just let me know.

Thanks... you are very much appreciated,

David

Hi Smallstar,

Maybe you are worrying too much about getting everything right. That's not the whole point of therapy, I don't think. It took me about 10 sessions w/ my T to finally feel comfortable enough to actually talk to him, to say stuff I tho't I would never tell anybody else in this whole world! Yes, even the lame stuff. I am beginning to let my defenses down and only because my T is not judgmental and is very caring. He actually lets me "run" the sessions, up to a point of course. I hope one day soon you can have a relationship w/ your T that will make you feel comfortable enough to "let go". Just the fact that you don't want to quit is a BIG STEP in itself! Keep up the good work and take care! :rolleyes:

hi karai, thanks for your support. For me I don't know that it's about getting everything right, more like just doing something right. I don't know, I don't think my dr is very nice. Sometimes he is but then other times I'll go in there and he'll spend the whole time yeling at me. I get very irritated with him. I've been to 11 appointments so far, with alot of communication inbetween and I don't think that I am making much progress, at least as far as the bad feelings, it's all still there. I don't know, I will keep trying, mostly because I don't see any other way, but right now my goal is to stop worrying about everything so much, so I guess I'll see how that goes.

Hi smallstar,

Your T yells at you? :eek: Why? :confused: Have you ever considered that maybe he is not the right T for you? You do have the right to change T's, esp. if you feel you are not making much progress. I know I couldn't get better with a T who yelled at me. Frankly, I would be afraid to go to t. if I was going to be yelled at. I applaud you for your strength and persisitence in getting better, but I really do think you should consider your options into getting a new T. Take care and I'm hoping the best for you!