Mental Support Community

Mental Health and your immune system

goose

Do any of you find that your immune system is affected by anxiety and stress. For the past 6 weeks I have been battling with a virus which does not seem to be going. I have developed an upper resp. tract infection as a result.

On arriving home from my therapy session on Saturday I was struck with an almighty bout of vertigo - which still has my head spinning two days later.

Is there a connection with stress (anxiety) and physical illness do you think?

Goose

Oh, my cold sores tell me the minute my stress levels go up for more than a couple of days. :-)

The definition of stress is that it's the impact on your body of some harmful outside force, whether it's fear or overwork or whatever. In my case, the dormant herpes virus detects the change and decides it's a good time to see about finding another host. ;-)

Do any of you find that your immune system is affected by anxiety and stress. For the past 6 weeks I have been battling with a virus which does not seem to be going. I have developed an upper resp. tract infection as a result.

On arriving home from my therapy session on Saturday I was struck with an almighty bout of vertigo - which still has my head spinning two days later.

Is there a connection with stress (anxiety) and physical illness do you think?

Goose

Yes, I agree > I do not like to venture out from my place of residence, however , sometimes it is a must:eek: Such as grocery shopping. The nearest shopping center is 45 min .away, we live in a very little town. Lots of people, I zone out, usually, become in a daze , lost in a world of stuff, people and everything becomes a blur> that't the superwalmart for me :( ICKY . Panic stricken , spending too much, confusion , forgetting what i want , even though I have a LIST, It is so pathetic !!!!

i've come home with the FLU , with Allergy attacks , Panic Stricken, Anxiety through the Roof , Feeling faint, and plain exhaustion !!!!! Takes me DAYS to recover .

It happens once a month , those BIG shopping times, and then the little shopping times, in which OMG, i have to go TODAY!!!!! Yes I agree totally with you on this one makes me ill just writing about it .

Hi goose,

I do think that my anxiety and stress levels make my immune weaker in the last bit of 2 years a stressful time for me I have had 3 hard sick times to get through all lasting 2-3 months each all happening directly after a major sinario I barely coped with. I think my constant anxiety makes me weaker, I feel weak and tired and so it makes sence. Mabe my body just wants me to lie down and rest and this is how it makes it happen who knows? I think the constant stress hormone, what is that one cortisol or something actually lowers the immune system I might be wrong but seems to happen to me though. Anyway thats all I can offer,I wish for all of us a stressfree day! :(

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Nightfalls,

You are correct in pointing out that constant anxiety takes its toll on your immune system. Have you tried or are you continuing to use such stress and anxiety reducing techniques as, Meditation, Yoga, Deep breathing exercises, Listening to music that has the sounds of nature, like rainfall, etc, and Exercise? These things may not cure anxiety and stress but they definitely help.

Allan