Mental Support Community

new forum for discussion of small penis issues

Mark

All,

For several years now, essays on the topic of the so called "small penis syndrome" have been accumulating comments such that these essays have become defacto forums in themselves. Recently, we've had some issues with the tone of the discussion happening there with increasing anger and hostility and threats occurring. As a result, I have shut down the ability to leave new comments for these essays.

I am attempting to move the discussion to the community proper where a perceived sense of less anonymity and a better capability to moderate may help regulate the discussion tone. I don't know how successful this transition will be, however, as some of the participants are extremely sensitive and ashamed and defensively proud and may not wish to be part of anything not exclusively devoted to their needs. Because this is a general mental health community, in which a variety of people discuss a variety of issues, some stigmatized quite a bit, they may not want to come here, but I wish to give it a try. I've tried to compensate for the need to be somewhat separated from the rest of the community by creating a "special topics" area, but who knows how that will go over.

I have come to understand Small Penis Syndrome as a very real mental health issue which is perhaps a form of social phobia, in some cases accompanied by extremely strong fixed hopelessness beliefs, and with an intense element of shame and thus anger and anger mangement issues. Needless to say, we won't be tolerating any jokes on the subject, not that this crowd needs to be sensitized as to why that should be the case.

Please do what you can to politely welcome any people who wish to talk about this stuff and otherwise stay out of their way if they seem grumpy.

Mark

Edited by Mark

That would take a very long time (to catch everyone up), but I can point to the older comments and in particular to the essay that Allan and I did on the subject (marked with *) not too long ago.

An anxiety disorder: Small penis syndrome

http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=28683

How do you measure a man (or woman): small penis syndrome?

http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=28643

Small penis syndrome: characteristics and self-help treatment suggestions*

http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=24026

Male self-concept and small penis syndrome

http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=15717

In a nutshell, the most intense of these guys are convinced they are doomed to forever be isolated from intimacy with a woman; have experienced some form of humiliation experience which has been traumatizing; are angry and to some extent want revenge (against those they see as causing humiliation -> women; are prone to overgeneralization so that all women are seen as potentially or actually humiliating of them; who are fixated on the importance of penis size as the solely important measure of a man. Not a fun crowd, necessarily, but one who might benefit from a place like this if they can learn to tolerate it.

Mark

Well, it does sound like a subject that would benefit from some women's input, if everyone can treat the subject with enough respect to play nicely.

Do you have any suggestions on discussions with people who hold such deep convictions? The possibility exists that no one will end up convinced. Perhaps we've seen that elsewhere? ;-)

Well, let that be a lesson to me, to get around more! :-)

I'm afraid I haven't been keeping track of the many articles that get contributed by mental health professionals, and the comment chains that follow them. So many resources, so little time! Perhaps this can also serve as an advertisement for those articles, which can be found under the Browse menu up above.

I guess I have some reading to do. ;-)

Malign,

JR is quite right that this is an argumentative group. I don't think a woman's perspective will necessarily help things - generally all women are perceived as potential or actual humiliators and thus they come into any discussion with two strikes out already - I'm not inviting them into here to participate in the larger community, as some of the most vocal of them have already said stuff to the effect that they aren't crazy (which suggests to me that they are fearful/ashamed of being "crazy" like those who would be in here (e.g., these guys are not psychologically sophisticated much; are more black and white about it). I've invited them in here because their discussion doesn't work on the main site, and it might here. I/we will need to watch discussion if it does occur here (they may be too worried about being tracked down by their having provided an email or IP tracking that the system does automatically to show up) because I expect them to pick fights. But they don't have a place to go so far as I know where they can talk about this stuff (one or more has commented to this effect), and they maybe can benefit from having a safe place to go. We'll see what happens. Nothing may happen - it may sit empty. that's okay. Can't force these things.